Happy Camper meals review

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:37
ThreadID: 136842 Views:3647 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I ordered a tucker box, so we got a sample of nearly all the meals they sell.

I can say that this product is fantastic, the meals were delish, a perfect size for one. They all really tasted like I'd just prepared them from fresh produce, not that horrid freeze dried/dehydrated stuff. Our fav was the meatballs, but they were all good.

As space and water was limited on this trip, thought they'd be a great size and squeeze into the draws not taking up too much room. As for the water, they don't really require a lot of water and once you've reheated them, we just used the water the wash the dishes.

So we highly recommend this product and also it feels good to support an Australian business supporting Australian Farmers.

If you've not heard about them, here's their website http://happycampergourmet.com.au/

Happy camping!
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 21:49

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 21:49
Yeah been using them for a few years myself. Just wish they'd bting back the lamb shanks. Just tried the new lamb ragu gnocchi on a recent quad expedition. A bloody
welcome change from cans lol. I heat tbe sachet in the bill then use the water to mix up some deb potato. Add a tin of mixed veg and voila....a goumetty treat for the weary explorer.

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619571

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 22:11

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 22:11
Ahh the lamb shanks. ...... I called them just last week asking about that. The new owners said they can't do it because of the bones. They said they get millions of queries on them. Yummy.

I suggested beef cheeks, and they are trying new recipes.

A sad day when they disappeared.

FollowupID: 891875

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 09:42

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 09:42
Hi Austag, I have used “Easy Meals” for some time now. Similar concept, about $9 each meal. I use them at home if I am on my own, sometimes add a few extra frozen veg to the packet to increase volume while heating.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619585

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 18:19

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 18:19
What is their web address?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 891896

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 21:29
Hi Nomadic Navara, google www.easymeals.net.au

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891897

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 09:43

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 09:43
Yes good tucker.

I guess now that lamb shanks have become fashionable eating they have gotten too expensive and thus would make Happy Camper lamb shank meals prohibitive cost wise.

We need to breed sheep with eight legs - that should help!

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619586

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:54

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 10:54
How true Phil. There was a time back in the 90s when budget meals were a necessity in our house and lamb shanks were a favourite.

Still a favourite but no longer a budget buy.

And thanks to those who give Happy Camper a tick. It sounds like the sort of product well suited to solos like myself.

Cheers

FollowupID: 891860

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 16:01

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 16:01
There was a time when the butcher would give you a couple of shanks for your dog with your order.

FollowupID: 891864

Reply By: Nacho - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 11:03

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 11:03
Must try them for hiking and motorcycle trips....they couldn't be any worse than those dehydrated foods, some of those are shockers.
For hiking and motorcycle the only downside I can see is the amount of gas needed to warm them.
Not a problem on a 4wd trip but for 4wd trips I'll stick to fresh food thanks and other types of contingency food.
AnswerID: 619592

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 11:42

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 11:42
We were selling Happy Camper meals (and Back Country which I think taste better and use less room) via the ExplorOz Shop about 10 years ago but in those days folks didn't seem to value the expense of convenience as much as they might these days and due to food having use by dates, it became unviable due to low sales.

We figured, people were still cryovacing or using other convenience foods.

Like you, we have sampled all the meals - but the issue is space. They are full sized meal packets (eg. lamb shanks) so do use up space unlike dehydrated packs.

But either option is really too expensive for a family to rely on for all meals - buying 4 packets per meal is too much. Maybe you can justify it if you're just a solo traveller, fair enough. We actually found the freeze dried Back Country to have a much nicer gourmet taste and much lighter/smaller to carry - if only using for emergency food then space is an important consideration.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619593

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 08:34

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 08:34
I'm not sure which Backcountry flavour I prefer best Michelle.

Cardboard that tastes a little bit like teriaki chicken
Cardboard that tastes a little like lamb and has the texture of boiled wood shavings
or Cardboard that tastes absolutely nothing like beef.

Actually I think the recipe is the same for all of them. The only difference is if they wave a chicken, lamb or steak over the top of the sealed package at the end.

Whoever makes up the flavour names has an excellent imagination, I'll give them that. I can't believe you think that stuff even tastes likee or has the texture of food.

It is bloody awful. It might be ok if you had to eat that or die, though it would be tough choice.

Happy Camper lamb shanks on the other hand are beeeeautiful.

Goes to show, everyone is different.

FollowupID: 891887

Reply By: Gramps - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 08:57

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 08:57
I've only tried the Back Country stuff and it is absolutely tasteless. It may be OK if you're desperate but noodles or cup-o-soup is at least one level better and a damn sight less expensive.

Don't think I'll bother attending any restaurants you lot recommend if you think this stuff is fit for human consumption LOL

Regards
AnswerID: 619618

Reply By: Jarse - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 04:30

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 04:30
How to prepare Back Country products;

1. Open packet and empty contents into a pot of boiling water;
2. Bring to a brisk simmer for 10 minutes;
3. Empty cooked product into porta potti;
4. Eat the empty package.
AnswerID: 619629

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 06:27

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 06:27
LOL Must try that Jarse. I'v been doing it wrong.

If you put the packaging the right way up on the plate, at least the photo looks like food, unlike the contents.

Good tip.
FollowupID: 891902

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 22:43

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 22:43
I dunno, you people must not have done much flying.
Airline food makes Back Country meals quite appetising.

What wrong with the good ol' Army ration packs?
Keeps most Armies going, and it kept me going for many a day.

We were also known to have endured, "train crash" meals from same. [;-)

Sappers in 'Nam

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891938

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 23:17

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 23:17
I'll take airline food thanks. Not that you get much on domestic flights.

Actually the beef cheeks on cathay c class are very nice indeed.
FollowupID: 891940

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:57

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:57
Hahaha,
I work in the airlines, and its food is better than Back Country. Having said that, what’s wrong with Army rations? Would ratther eat them anytime :D

Most of us bring our own food to work, it’s that yummy.....
FollowupID: 891946

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 21:04

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 21:04
Ron N - had a few train crash meals in my time. Best one was curried snake & rice out of a 24 hr rat-pack (the snake was 'obtained' during a patrol)
FollowupID: 891957

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 21:49

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 21:49
Scott - Yep, I've tried wild goat and donkey sausages, they were knocked up by the blokes in Gascoyne Trading's (trucking) yard in Kalgoorlie (mechanics and drivers), back in the mid-80's when I was building their (road train) haul road between Kanowna and Paddington..

They weren't too bad, I must say, for a bunch of rough and tumble blokes, whose butchering skills were secondary to trucking and fixing trucks! [;-)

Not so sure I'd try snake, though. Like crocodile, I think you'd need to be pretty hungry.
I'd much rather hunt down a wild steer, and enjoy some tasty beef!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891960

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 10:40
Ron, old adage ..... anything tastes good if you drown it in enough curry powder. Actually, wasn't too bad.

Couldn't ever stand the Ham & Eggs in the 24hr rat pack
FollowupID: 891968

Sponsored Links