Amorok

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 13:31
ThreadID: 136871 Views:7919 Replies:15 FollowUps:68
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting some feedback from anyone who owns an Amorok v6 diesel. Interested to know how they perform.
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 15:27

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 15:27
VW named it "Amarok".
AnswerID: 619685

Follow Up By: Munji - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 15:43
well done, thanks for the english lesson
FollowupID: 891972

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 17:31

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 17:31
How, when someone is interested in finding info about something, ie a VW Amarok and see the name, see the vehicle badge, advertising etc, then type it wrongly?

Others read maps and ask questions about the Tanami desert and I see a few then call it Tanimi even though they have travelled it and read the signs.
If it is a common name how do people get it wrong. Do they get their friends names wrong too.
Shouldn't we just try and be better. Typos excluded, we all make them, but when the letter key is at the other end of the keyboard it makes you wonder.

The V6 AMAROK is a good vehicle by all accounts. If VW service and warranty provision has become better than it was, then it may be an option.
FollowupID: 891973

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 18:01
Another issue is that a wrongly spelled item may not show up in a correctly spelled search, so you may miss information you seek.

Just saying.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891974

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 20:14
I just entered 'amorok' into google. It was smart enough to know what I meant. Just saying.

Don't own one and haven't driven one Munji sorry. I presume you're after advice from the horses mouth though because there are lots of tests around. I think I read that VW is about to boost their power. Yep, just checked. Here's just one link:

Amarok power increase
FollowupID: 891980

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:20
Try it in this site's search engine. You don't get this thread.

I put amorok into Google and didn't get this thread either.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891983

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:46
This post highlights what is wrong with this forum - more interested in spell checking rather than dealing with the question. Spelling mistake or not we all knew what the OP was talking about.

Too many silly old farts with too much time on their hands.
FollowupID: 891985

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 23:40

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 23:40
You people don't realise how lucky we are to have RMD and Frank P patrolling this forum. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 891992

Follow Up By: danda - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 15:12

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 15:12
garrycol your bang on there mate all the guy wants is an answer !!! why is it so hard to do ???
FollowupID: 892109

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 16:54
Munji, Get it rite, we like Good engrish here! I dont own one but I've seen the advertisements on TV, apparently they are fantastic, the Best. What more can I say?. I hope this helps. Regards, Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619686

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 17:46

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 17:46
Munji .
One of my mates got one as a company car , it goes well , is quiet and very comfortable .

Would he or myself buy one , no chance! .
Just to many issues with them especially after about 100 thousands ks or so .

Long term ownership I would chose a Dmax or a Hilux .
Cheers

AnswerID: 619691

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 19:11
There's no evidence to back that up. They've only been out a few years and the highest kilometre v6 Amarok on carsales is 50k. The same motor is in the Touareg and Audi Q7, and there are 10 year old cars on there with 280k on the clock.
FollowupID: 891978

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 20:47
What issues?
FollowupID: 891982

Follow Up By: Jarse - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:57

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:57
It’s a Volkswagen :)
FollowupID: 891986

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 09:03

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 09:03
Hey Jarse

Have you ever owned a VW vehicle?

They are a fantastic vehicle and full a lot of other vehicles to shame.....

And yes we own a VW as well as our Prado and it is just fantastic.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891995

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:15
I'm sure its a decent vehicle with tons of power. I've owned a newish VW - not an Amarok - and had it was a good vehicle - until it suddenly wasn't, and expensively so. VW like more or less most car makers is a reprehensible company and a VW of any type is an EXPENSIVE fix. My days of buying European cars are over. I drive a PX ranger at the moment, and its more owner- fixable than I would have thought. That was the opposite to my experience with VW.
But if that's not an issue for you, I'm sure it will be blast.
FollowupID: 892003

Follow Up By: Jarse - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 20:08
Yes I have owned several over the years. My daughter owns one now.

IMO, VW Australia is a deceptive and morally bankrupt company who will do whatever they can to avoid their responsibilities regarding warranty matters.
Their abysmal treatment of Australian owners with the Dieselgate debacle is enough to put me off ever owning another Volkswagen.
FollowupID: 892022

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:15

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:15
I've owned 7 over the years and never had any problems. But, if we're bagging them, let's not forget the monkey testing for exhaust gas toxicity. That takes the cake for despicable behaviour. What is it with Germans and gas chambers?

https://www.motoring.com.au/monkeygate-claims-first-human-victim-110777/
FollowupID: 892027

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:24

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:24
FollowupID: 892028

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:44

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:44
I think the correct meme has a green tick and the words "Another Pass" written on it. :-)
FollowupID: 892029

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:31

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:31
You could use this thread as a case study on how forums work. 90% of the answers is an argument over spelling and not one single reply has answered the original question. And of course it has the mandatory "my mate" in an answer which leads to another argument.
AnswerID: 619694

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 21:58
"You could use this thread as a case study on how forums work"

No mate - how this forum works - most other forums are not so anal.
FollowupID: 891987

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 22:08
All the forums I have been on are the same. 4X4, computer, photography, all the same
FollowupID: 891989

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 22:10
Yep, 3 out of 12 replies were about the topic.

Yep, most other forums are not so anal.
FollowupID: 891990

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:57
"All the forums I have been on are the same. 4X4, computer, photography, all the same"

I don't go on the non 4x4,car type forums so maybe you are right. :-(

My brother comes on here from time to time and he reckons the Caravanning Forums are a bit worse than this but I guess it is the same types on there as here.
FollowupID: 891998

Follow Up By: 2517. - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:46
Try Wiki Camps ,they have one who is a expert on everything.
FollowupID: 892002

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 17:11

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 17:11
"Try Wiki Camps ,they have one who is a expert on everything."

I think I know who you're talking about, 2517. It doesn't matter what somebody posts, he has done it and at the last count, he was 157 years of age.

Dusty
FollowupID: 892113

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 23:52

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018 at 23:52
I think it's way too early to even ask about V6 Amarok performance or reliability, they've only been around for 13 months.

Telling things about them, to me, are;

1. I think I've seen maybe about 30 or 40 Amaroks a week in the last 6 months on the roads - and I get around a bit.
I see 30 or 40 other brands of 4WD per hour. I understand Amaroks are only making up less than 5% of 4WD ute sales.

2. There are 599 new, used and demo V6 Amaroks for sale, Australia-wide on Carsales.com.au.
This seems to be an inordinately high number of vehicles for sale, for a model of vehicle that is supposedly in extraordinarily high demand (4WD dual cab utes).

I cut out of the search, all the new V6 Amarok vehicles, and I still get 197 used and demo Amaroks for sale.
That also seems like an inordinate amount of used and demo V6 Amaroks for sale.

I also find at least one demo V6 Amarok that is 12 months old, and with 18kms on the clock.
WTF??? These things are supposed to be flying out the showrooms, and demand is supposed to be terrific for them??

VW Amarok demo for sale - 12 mths old

I can find 5 used V6 Amaroks for sale by private owners - the most with 32,000kms, the rest between about 10,000kms and 20,000kms.

Does anyone see anything a little odd about that? Why do people sell near-new, low-km vehicles, unless they are unhappy with them?

3. Probably the most telling thing to me is, I cannot find a single Amarok for sale that ever looks like it's been off a sealed road. Mothers shopping trolley, anyone?

That, despite quite a number of Amaroks for sale, that have been "done up" with extensive barwork, wide wheels, flares, additional lighting, etc, etc - to make them look like Raptors. Oh dear, who are we trying to copy?

4. My "go-to" place for reviews is Product Review. While not perfect, a good read through several pages of the Amarok reviews, gives you lots to digest.

Product Review do try to get people to provide purchase confirmation, but only 4 people in the first 3 pages of the Amarok reviews, have provided proof of purchase.

Ignore the reviews that give the V6 Amarok 5 stars. I know of no vehicle that warrants 5 stars, and a glowing "utterly without faults", review.
They've all got faults, regardless of make. 5 star Amarok reviews are written up by VW salesmen, when sales are slow.

There are enough poor reviews of the Amarok below, to make anyone wary about purchasing one for heavy towing and off-road work.

I read one glowing review where the journos glossed over the fact that the V6 Amarok chewed through fuel at 18L/100kms when towing a modest-sized van.
I know people with 200 series Cruisers who get similarly economy out of their 4.5L V8's, when towing big vans.

Product Review - VW Amarok

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 619696

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 01:23

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 01:23
I'm in Central Oz at the moment travelling and I have to say, I havent seen any towing vans, that doesnt mean they are not about. A lot of Mazdas and Rangers and older 100 series and naturally a heap of 200 series. So many caravans and more than ever on the highways this time of year and a lot of the free camps are overflowing after 4pm, it's quite amazing. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 891993

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:07
I just love the proud 4 cyl Amarok owner on Product Review who claims his ute warrants 5 stars - then goes on to say ....

"Due for timing belt service @105000km and have been warned it will be a little expensive. Around $3000 including a service and a mandatory new water pump."

WTF?? European Ripoff, anyone?? I've heard of, and seen some repair reaming before, but VW are obviously taking things to a new level.

I also like how the dealer is softening this bloke up for the shafting!
It's a wonder he isn't giving him a large jar of lube for free, to accommodate the reaming to come!!

Just having a "mandatory water pump replacement" at 105,000kms is a pretty good indicator of the VW build quality.
I have never ever replaced any water pump on any vehicle I've ever owned, at such low kilometres - and I've owned a lot of makes of vehicle.

Then there's the bloke complaining about the VW transmission failure that cost $11,000 to repair. Talk about expensive motoring.

Then there's the recurrent "drive belt failure" problem of the 4 cyl Amaroks. It seems the main drive belt is so light and poorly designed, it's struggling to reach 60,000kms without the need for replacement.
When it fails unexpectedly, it appears your 4 cyl VW motor ends up toasted.
One would hope and pray the V6 VW engine has some improved design, but only time will tell.

I expect a minimum of 100,000kms out of any belt, drive or timing, and I regularly get 150,000kms and more out of Toyota and Isuzu belts.
Maybe the VW's would benefit from an immediate belt swap to some high quality Gates belts - but with a new or near-new vehicle, you shouldn't have to do that.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891999

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:46
Here's an interesting video (below), showing the design of the VW, V6 3.0L TDI engine.
The video following it, shows the engine being built in an Audi factory.

The same V6 3.0L TDI engine is used in a range of Audis, the Porsche Cayenne, and the VW Touareg - as well as the Amarok. It was first introduced in 2004 and it was "upgraded" in 2014.

The engine "upgrade" appears to have largely been the addition of a substantial amount of increased emission-control equipment, to meet the newest EURO-6 engine emission requirements.

VW group - list of engines

The engine is one of the most complex designs I have ever examined.
It runs quad camshafts, 24 valves, a balance shaft (because all 90 deg V6's are basically unbalanced), a variable-geometry turbocharger, two separate high pressure fuel injection pumps (one for each bank), two intercoolers, water-cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), catalytic converter, and diesel particulate filter.

There are recurrent VW/Audi/Porsche V6 TDI problems mentioned on forums, review sites, and mechanical repair sites.

Those problems revolve around the following common complaints;

1. The multiple timing chain arrangement is prone to noise caused by chain slap, caused by premature wear of the plastic chain tensioners.
These plastic tensioners don't last the expected life of the engine pistons/rings/cylinders.

The timing chains are apparently also prone to premature wear.
Premature wear of the plastic chain tensioners is going to create premature timing chain wear.

2. The poor build quality and lack of reliability of the electronic components on VW engines is a recurring feature in VW complaints.
It appears a lot of VW electronic components are built in places such as Romania, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia, for the cheaper labour.

The wage rates in these former Communist countries, are half the wage rates of Germany.
But underpaid employees are unhappy employees, and they are also working under poor employment conditions.

Eastern European car workers striking for higher wages - 2017

3. Problems with the DPF feature regularly. I personally regard all DPF's as a needlessly complex engineering design failure.

They are simply a constant source of problems, and they increase fuel consumption.

In the diesel industry, there are two terms used to describe diesel engines reliability.
Those terms are respectively, "high-tolerance engine" and "low tolerance engine".

In essence, those terms describe the difference between todays diesels and yesterdays diesels.
The old diesels were simple, they would tolerate a wide discrepancy in operating conditions, by way of poor-quality fuels, out-of-adjustment components, levels of wear, poor or delayed maintenance - and they would still start and run happily.
These are the "high-tolerance engines".

Todays diesels - and particularly the European diesels - are intolerant of wear, intolerant of poor fuel quality or cleanliness, intolerant of carbon buildup, intolerant of harsh working conditions, and intolerant of poor maintenance.
As a result, these engines fall into the "low-tolerance engine" description.

Unfortunately, I have never yet come across a European-manufactured product that can brag about low parts costs, low maintenance costs, and low running costs.

Yes, you can buy a lot of aftermarket European parts and components that are more reasonably priced - but then you're back to dealing with "non-authorised" repairers, "non-authorised" parts or components - and the manufacturer will then disown you, and your vehicle.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 892006

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:01
For the engine technophobes, in the lengthy video below, VW is explaining the design changes between the previous VW, 3.0L V6 TDI engine ("First generation"), and the current engine ("Second generation").

The design changes are greater than I initially supposed. The engine has not only been redesigned to meet EURO 6 emission laws - it has had substantial engineering design changes.
These design changes also shave 25kgs off the total weight of the engine.

The major V6 3.0L TDI engine design changes in the Second generation engine, are:

1. The alloy intake manifold has been replaced with one made of thermoplastic.

2. The 6 swirl flaps in the intake ports, actuated by 2 electric motors, have been eliminated, and have been replaced by a single electric-motor-actuated swirl flap in the top of the manifold.

3. The main fuel pump assembly, containing the two separate injection pumps, is no longer driven by a toothed belt - which belt has now been eliminated.
The main fuel pump assembly has been relocated to behind the timing case, and is now driven by a chain.

4. The camshafts are no longer retained in position by a ladder frame - this frame has been eliminated, and the camshafts are now retained by 4 dual-bearing caps and 4 individual camshaft supports.

5. The original 4 timing chain design has been totally redesigned, to reduce the number of timing chains, to only 2 chains.
However, one of those chains (the one driving the camshafts), is 206 links long.

Under normal circumstances, chain stretch and wear in a chain this long, would rapidly become a problem, and cause major engine faults such as altered valve timing.

However, VW claim both the new ultra-long chain and its plastic chain guides and tensioners, are made from special materials that are highly wear-resistant.
The chain guides and tensioners are apparently coated with some super-wear-resistant coating, that is claimed to virtually eliminate wear of the guides and tensioners.

It remains to be seen whether VW have solved the timing chains/chain guides/chain tensioners problems, with this new design.

6. The current Second generation engine incorporates a complex, dual cooling system.
Essentially, VW have engineered two separate cooling systems into the engine. One system operates for block cooling, and one operates for head cooling.
The dual system is controlled by the engine ECU, a range of sensors, a thermostat and a ball valve.

In essence, hotter coolant is delivered to the block area to keep it running at 105 deg C.
VW say this is the optimum block temperature for friction reduction, and to keep the bores perfectly cylindrical.
The engine bores are laser-honed to a profile that ensures that they become perfectly cylindrical at 100-105 deg C.

The head runs between 65 and 90 deg C to ensure combustion temperatures are kept low. Lowering combustion temperatures is an important tool in emissions control, and one of the reasons why EGR is used virtually on every engine built today.
The recirculated exhaust gas cools the combustion temperature and reduces the harmful by-products of combustion.

The Second generation engine now incorporates an ECU-controlled oil cooler to assist with keeping the oil temperature at an optimum 100 deg C.

The final section of the video below involves a lengthy description and discussion centred around the Audi AdBlue tank and its filling technique.

The Australian version of the Amarok does not use the AdBlue system, the Australian Amarok emissions system comprises only an EGR valve, a catalytic converter, and a DPF.

As always, the engine design is touted as cutting edge technology, and highly sophisticated - but it's totally reliant on all those electronic engine components continuing to function perfectly at all times.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 892026

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:46

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:46
Even after all this time I'm still not clear on how hot exhaust gas reduces combustion temperature....
FollowupID: 892032

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:44

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:44
Paul, the simple principle behind EGR, is that the addition of around 6% to 10% of the exhaust gas stream into the intake, provides a stream of gases that are inert to combustion - and those post-combustion gases dilute the oxygen levels in the incoming air charge, and act as absorbers of heat, thus reducing peak combustion temperatures - and thereby reducing highly undesirable nitrous oxide levels.

AA1Car Library - EGR's

The aim of most emission control devices on engines today, is to not only reduce exhaust emissions of noxious gases - but to try and ensure that more of the noxious products of combustion are sent down past the rings, into the oil, instead of into the air.

As a result, todays engine oils have vastly increased levels of detergents and other new additives, all designed to handle the increased load of pollutants going into the oil, in the latest engine designs.

Thus it's more important than ever to ensure you use the correct oil in todays engines, and change it regularly, according to the manufacturers recommendations.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892036

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:50

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:50
I'll say one thing about it, I drove a V6 TDI Touareg around Europe and it was unbelievable. It was whisper quiet, very smooth and powerful, and was averaging 8 litres per hundred. I had it up to 220kph on the autobahn. They're bloody good while they're working. :-)
FollowupID: 892044

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22
Ill take your word about the egr principle, but I my px allows much more than 4 - 6%.according to the Ultragauge, its 40- 60% at all times,depending on work load. It's never shut off even at idle.
FollowupID: 892047

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:12
Munji : there is a review on YouTube with several Motoring journalist that placed the Amarok in the top three as I recall and it being the most powerful ,ranger Hilux Amarok. You could check that out on YouTube

On the other subject mentioned in the First reply follow up about searching in the forum I find it a lot easier to Google it and mention explore Oz to get the best /quick response.

Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 619698

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:21
You CANT take a motoring journalist review seriously. They are superficial tests and are far from objective!
FollowupID: 892004

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:42

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:42
Paul : you may we'll be right .
But the review was several people all testing different aspects of the vehicles so I gave it some credibility .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 892005

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 19:19

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 19:19
Munji's made up his mind (I agree fwiw) but for those still interested there's an "Outback" comparo on some up-specced dual-cab utes on Unsealed 4x4.

Toyota, Ford, Nissan, "Holden", Mercedes, VW variants

Outback Dual-Cab Comparison

FollowupID: 892118

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:13

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:13
Clearly, Munji, the original poster communicated the question effectively despite the incorrect spelling as evidenced by the responses, even from those questioning the spelling.

Isn’t that “effective” communication – the communicating of an idea or question and getting feedback?

This is a forum, not an English class, and whilst good spelling and grammar is handy, effective communication wins every time.

And I’ll berate myself for responding without giving Munji an answer to the question as I have no experience or knowledge on the “Amorok” to offer, but couldn’t help myself in calling out that responses like some of those offered here are killing this forum

My two bob’s worth, enjoy your day; hopefully the “pedantic people” have a perfect day…!

Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 619699

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 09:11
Baz as usual you are right on the money with your comments
In my opinion in general this forum badly requires a off-topic button like the like button .
The trolls are more interested in playing the man rather than the ball.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 891996

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04
Buz - The Lindy
Only a couple of letters different there. no need to "call it out". Someone might know who you are.
The world is a classroom and kids in school are encouraged to spell and speak correctly, if possible. I would hope you want your grandchildren to spell and speak properly, they are disadvantaged in life if they can't, and don't attempt to be as good as possible.
We all know what was meant in the heading, in your words, I "called out" the fact it wasn't as it should be.

Well, I am off up the Oadnuditta Truck.
FollowupID: 891997

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:03
RMD

You made me chuckle (thanks for that..!)

I've got a South African mate and whenever he says "Baz - The Landy" it translates to "Buz - The Lindy" with his accent...

And yes, the world is a classroom and kids in school are encouraged to spell and speak correctly - but most of us here aren't school kids, although, at times, one could be forgiven for thinking that.

Cheers, Buz - The Lindy
FollowupID: 892000

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 15:31
Really think you should give other members the pleasure of berating you Baz. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 892008

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 16:16

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 16:16
As much as I appreciate good spelling, I always believe that a bit of "give and take" and laughing the small stuff away is what being an Aussie is all about.

Historically Aussies had to laugh or we'd cry - when life was a challenge, we made a blue, or hardship was endured.

Its getting that way now, that the Aussie "larrikanism" and "laughing at ourselves" (taking the p***) and overlooking our shortcomings is no longer accepted.

Oh and I know there were times we took it too far and offended some unintentionally (and intentionally) but - fear and (poor) judgement has now replaced what was once our "good nature" and sense of humor... Sorry to point this out but sadly we only have to look at rising suicide rates and depression to see something is wrong in our new psyche!

Maybe one day when life gets tough again responsibility for ones self may become the norm and we will become more accepting of each other and any minor faults we may display.

My only experience with the Amarok was a housemate got one in 2012/13 it was comfortable in the rough stuff but he did have some issues with it not starting in the mornings when it had less that 10,000k on the clock - was back to the dealership a few times I dont know how its been since but he still has it.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892009

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:23

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 08:23
Gday
I suppose after reading this post , a question about the Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 will get me nowhere ?
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619700

Reply By: Gordon R - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:24

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 13:24
I have only just started reading the forum again after an absence of over 12 months. The responses to Munji's simple request - i.e. an attack on his spelling - are one of the main reasons why I stopped. Small minded nit-pickers who have nothing else to do but make stupid comments about someone's error in spelling. Go back to your crotcheting and reading Womans Day and allow someone with knowledge and/or practical experience answer the question.
AnswerID: 619702

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:47

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 14:47
The problem maybe that a lot of Facebook sites are getting tough on this sort of behaviour and are getting rid of such people
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 892007

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 17:52
Gordon, This site is around 15 years old, many long standing friendships have been created on this forum and established out there in the back of nowhere. All sites without a forum are largely diminished so it comes with glib comments and a bit of banter, regardless of the sites rules. If we have a Yes-No forum, it loses all personality it creates. So it's here to stay, so I guess we have to say goodbye for another 12 months!!. Oh and not being a member, you don't have a lot to lose by disappearing. By the way, what was your input to this thread ? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 892015

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 21:35
Thank you Michael.

Just to be clear to everyone...

I did not have a go at Munji for his/her spelling.

I simply made a valid observation that incorrect spelling affects search results and then, in response to a follow-up, gave two examples.

If that affects anyone's sensibilities, and apparently it did, then I'm afraid that's just too bad.

What is unfortunate about this thread is the needless aggression and rudeness in some of the responses that came from some people. Let's call them Bully Boys - or Jerks for short. Jerks often misread or fail to understand the context of what others have written. As a consequence it's pretty sad that you can't have much of a discussion here before some Jerk starts strutting around beating his chest and kicking sand in his victim's face. Clearly, insult before argument is the go.

Most Jerks are not members. From where, then, do they get their entitlement to tell others what to post?

I've seen it done before, to regular worthwhile contributors on this forum who happen to hold opinions or knowledge at odds with Jerk's own. Typically, Jerk doesn't meaningfully enter the discussion. No, an early insult and a declaration that his victim is the reason people are leaving the forum is his mainstay argument. No, Jerk, whoever you are, YOU and your ilk are the reason people leave worthwhile forums like this.

Munji, if you thought I was having a go at you then I assure you I was not but I apologise anyway for any hurt I may have caused.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892024

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:52

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2018 at 23:52
Oh c'mon guys, all RMD did was to point out to Munji that he had spelled the vehicle's name incorrectly. He did not make expression that Munji was illiterate or in any other way denigrate him.
In return Munji, perhaps a little begrudgingly, said "thanks for the english lesson". No vitriol.
RMD's expression was no worse than if I were to point out that "English" is correctly spelled with a capital. LOL
That would probably have been the end of it but a bunch of 'keyboard warriors' leap to their feet, or perhaps keyboards, and start a war.

Just what is this vehement reaction when someone politely observes that you have misspelled a word. I think that you are less likely to react if you are advised that maybe one of your tyres looks a bit flat. But a simple comment on a misspelled word and all hell breaks loose. If you were standing around a campfire and the same thing happened all you would hear is "Oh yes, Amarok, that's right", and maybe a few mumbled "Yair, Amarok"s. That's all. But with the benefit of anonymity and the physical separation of the Internet, you attack like a pack of rabid dogs!

I am pretty fair with handling the English language, and so I should be after all these years. I sometimes get it wrong, but if I do then I welcome correction without any offence. (or even offense)

If you rear up like a viper at a gentle correction then maybe it suggests that you are aware of your own literacy shortcomings and you have a sense of inadequacy. Would it not be better to learn from the righting and be thankful for it?

Munji wasn't outraged...... why should you be?

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 619714

Follow Up By: Munji - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 07:26

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 07:26
To one and all

Have read all your comments of support and including the positive feedback on the Amarok.
To be perfectly honest I rise above this sort of thing, take it in my stride because life for me is too short to let a spelling error upset me.
Further, I don't believe any of the comments were intended to be personal.
By the way I wont be buying an Amarok.

Hope I got all the spelling correct.

Cheers
FollowupID: 892030

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 08:20

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 08:20
Great comments Allan
But RMD in particular picks a lot of things, spelling etc. also has a very low regard at times for others opinions and abilities.
Other than that , it does seem a bit hard to get some good advice at times.

But I get a laugh out of a lot of the banter.
Cheers all
FollowupID: 892086

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 08:57

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 08:57
Ah Shane, when one gets past 80 you've had a lot of experience and may consider you know it all. So maybe like me, RMD has hit the eighties and become somewhat parochial?

Just start up an electrical thread and you will really witness my intolerance!!!!! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 892088

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 20:52

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 20:52
Geez, Munji - It's dead lucky for you, the VW naming committee didn't go for all-Australian in the handle - and it didn't get named a Volkswagen Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya!

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 892101

Reply By: Walter B - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 08:48

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 08:48
Unfortunately I don't have the V6 but if the 4 cylinder is anything to go by I can just say I have clocked over 180K trouble free k's, been a fantastic vehicle from my personal experience.
AnswerID: 619716

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:53

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:53
Walter

My experience with the 4 cyl was the same for 130,000 kms.
The only reason I upgraded to the V6 was to spoil myself and I could afford it.
There has been rubbish on here including one claim that the 105,000 service costs $3,000. Mine cost under $1,000 and it is a major service with timing belt replaced.

Regards

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892111

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:43

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:43
Munji

I had a 4 cyl Rok and replaced it with the V6.

I had the 4 cyl for 130,000 kms and the only problem I had was a faulty exhaust sensor.

The V6 performance is brilliant. Towing my camper trailer I am using about 10.6 ltr/100 kms at 100 km/h. Without the camper trailer driving to and from Darwin I have been averaging 8.6 ltrs/100 km sitting on speeds between 110 and 130 km/h.

It goes like a rocket in comparison to other 4X4 utes. Has excellent ride and handling and brilliant off road ability.

Since owning the V6 I have been to Kakadu NP, Keep River NP, El Questro and Home Valley.

AnswerID: 619787

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:56

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 16:56
Munji

I forgot to add that the latest 4X4 Australia Magazine has a test report of 9 utes including the V6 Rok. The Rok came out as the best. The review was by both the 4X4 Australia Magazine and Wheels.

The bottom line is that all 9 utes were good vehicles.

I prefer the Amarok for a number of reasons including its superior comfort and handling.

FollowupID: 892112

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 19:13

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 19:13
No mate, I've heard that's better to have slower, more uncomfortable cars that use significantly more fuel and handle like trucks, so that you get to enjoy these features for many thousands of kilometres of tedious driving. Personally I've taken a few of the "preferred" utes for test drives and couldn't wait to get out of them, the test drive was too long. :-)
FollowupID: 892117

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:09

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:09
Kumanara - If you're happy enough to deal with the company so aptly described as "deceitful and morally bankrupt" by Jarse, good luck to you.

You can't deny that the low ethics and morals of the VW company go right to to the top, as evidenced by the nailing of senior figures in the corporation on criminal charges - let alone the mega billions paid out by the company in fines and compensation, for rorting everyone from industry regulators to VW owners.

I personally prefer to try and deal with companies and corporations that don't have a rank smell following them everywhere - as difficult as that may be, in the morally-bankrupt corporate world.

The final straw for me is the constant rort on pricing of every single thing produced in Europe - with Germany leading the way.

What is even more galling is when you are still paying "premium pricing" for "Superior European" products - only to find they are built in South American, South African, Asian, and former Communist countries, where the workers are slaving away for pay rates, that are a fraction of the developed countries.

There's a reason why the EU is in a moral and financial morass, with Germany and France rolling in inordinate wealth, while the poorer EU members continue to pay through the nose, contributing to that massive German and French wealth.

It's kind of just like Australian banks, in a way. Certainly the same style of modus operandi.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892124

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35
Ron N

You do hate VW don't you.
What a lot of verbiage.
What do you drive?

FollowupID: 892125

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:59
My view is that they got caught. If you knew the secrets of all the big corporations then you wouldn't deal with any of them. The dollar is God to them all.
FollowupID: 892126

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:03
If you google Ford Pinto you will see that Ford make VW looks like angels.

FollowupID: 892127

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:40

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:40
I thought that VW was only the first company that got caught rorting the emissions and subsequently many companies also got sprung.

Mr Google gets worried when he sees Ron logged on.
FollowupID: 892128

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 15:13

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 15:13
Funny what a big deal those on their moral high horses make about the so called emissions scandal, even though they still complied with our standards, which is why the remap was optional, yet they gloss over Nissan’s adhoc approach to warranty claims or Toyota’s ridiculous pinched arse Landcruisers!
FollowupID: 892130

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 18:30

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 18:30
Fair dinkum shaker. When was the last time you contributed something positive on this forum. You remind me of some sour old snake in the grass who is never happy unless the world is falling down around your ears.

When was the last time you actually wrote some information that someone else can use to explore our great country.

My god wouldn’t you be a barrel of laughs around a campfire.
FollowupID: 892164

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:46

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:46
What’s the difference between my post & RonN plus others’ that criticise Volkswagen. At least we have one in the family & I do know that the ECU remap is optional. Also, as this thread indicates the Forum is about more than just exploring our great country. So why don’t you take your personal attacks & mind your own business!
FollowupID: 892170

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:55

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:55
Shaker. Your usual one line replies wrote the book on personal attacks. Think about some of the things you have said on here over the years. At least Ron n can link more than one sentence together.
FollowupID: 892173

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 20:49

Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 20:49
I am flattered that you have taken the time to do such an in-depth analysis of my posts.
Yes the above is only one sentence!
FollowupID: 892201

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:26

Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:26
Stringing sentences together is only a good thing if;

a) they're factual.
b) they're not verbose.
c) they're actual first hand experiences.

Just my thoughts on it!
FollowupID: 892208

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:23

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:23
Interesting you tube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK-ix2K2zy4&feature=youtu.be

AnswerID: 619831

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:29

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:29
lol ??. Tragic stuff old man Is that how you drive your car ?? A commodore could drive to el questro and home valley !!!
FollowupID: 892166

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:34

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:34
No at my age I am a bit more sedate than that. Interesting video though. I agree with your comment to about El Questro and Home Valley and a commodore. Driving to the lookouts at El Questro is a different matter.

FollowupID: 892167

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:44

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:44
Describe interesting. That’s the sort of trash that gives 4x4 tourers a bad name. Guess it’s an Amorok thing hey.
FollowupID: 892169

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:47

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:47
Oowaaah...Greg said Amorok...

There was an 8 ute 2018 shootout by 4x4 Australia and the V6 Amarok came first. It doesn't have low range yet got the best comments on off road ability.
https://youtu.be/Tug0YVKPdzU
I think the best idea is to pick the car you like to drive the most, make sure it has at least a 5 year warranty, and run it until the warranty is out....then get another car. Then brand doesn't matter.
FollowupID: 892171

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 21:26

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 21:26
Greg FYI interesting means: arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention.
No it is not an Amarok thing. Over the years there has been a plethora of similar adverts from other manufacturers.

FollowupID: 892177

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:49

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 19:49
I was talking to an acquaintance today that has a V6 & he averages a bit over 9 litres per 100kms and around 14 towing his 19’ Off Road caravan.
AnswerID: 619833

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 23:14

Thursday, Jun 28, 2018 at 23:14
Kumanara - Nah, I don't just hate VW - I hate all German makes equally, and French vehicles, even more! I also just plain hate the Euro ripoff!

Sorry to say, I find Toyotas give me the best value and driving reward - by way of reliability and good resale values.

No doubt, seeing as you judge people according to what they drive, that makes me a much lesser person!

Unfortunately 95% of the people in the world judge others by what they drive. I've learnt over a lifetime, that as a general rule, the bigger and more expensive the vehicle, the bigger and more arrogant a***hole, behind the wheel!

I don't know that a slick marketing video proves anything for the long run.
All Dakar vehicles are strengthened and modified until they resemble the original item in appearance only.
Then the manufacturers back up their Dakar vehicles with a service truck full of spares and mechanics!

Pulling a loaded truck uphill out of a bog? Yeah, I've done something similar.

Pulled my International prime mover and low-loader, fully loaded with a Cat D6 bulldozer on board (28 tonnes), up a 6% grade on a gravel road for a kilometre - when the old Inter broke an axle! - and guess what I did it with!

Yep - a petrol, 4 cyl Series II Landrover trayback!! Doesn't mean the Landrover was the greatest 4WD ever built!
In fact it was gutless, jerked and bounced all over the road, screamed its guts out at 90kmh, had s***house brakes - and it broke axles so often, we always carried a spare in the workshop!
But the old Landrover was good in the rough, tough world, of slow-speed four-wheel driving!

I don't mind if you have a cool $85,000 to blow on what you regard as Germanys finest product in the form of a dual cab ute, if that's what you like to do.

It's just that I prefer to disagree that the Amarok is the pinnacle of 4WD dual cab utes - and I think it's particularly telling that VW have chosen not to produce the V6 Amarok in a single cab version - which is where the real hard workers reside!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619841

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 21:07

Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 21:07
Ron

I asked you some questions which you have not answered.
Instead you have produced more verbiage.
A succinct logical answer would be preferred to a novel of ravings.

You accused me of judging you by what you drive. How did you draw such a long bow.

FollowupID: 892202

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 23:30

Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 23:30
Kumanara - You only asked me one question, that I can see a question mark behind - you asked what I drive, and I told you - Toyotas.

The fact that you describe everything that I write, as "verbiage" (twice) seems to fit the arrow to the long bow!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892205

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 13:06

Saturday, Jun 30, 2018 at 13:06
Ron

The reason I asked what you drive is because of the following statement you made

"What is even more galling is when you are still paying "premium pricing" for "Superior European" products - only to find they are built in South American, South African, Asian, and former Communist countries, where the workers are slaving away for pay rates, that are a fraction of the developed countries."

You still did not tell me what specific vehicle you drive only that you drive Toyotas. Well it may interest you to know that a lot of Toyota 4X4s are made in Thailand as well as Mazdas, Fords, etc.

Amaroks are made in Hamburg and Argentina.

If your writings are verbose or not relevant to the post I will tell you. A fact is not a long bow.

You still have not explained how you came to the quantum leap that I judge you by what you drive. I don't know what you drive.

PS Your last post was a lot better. It was short and to the point.

FollowupID: 892210

Sponsored Links