Secure 200series when you go for a swim

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 06:28
ThreadID: 136922 Views:3438 Replies:10 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all, when I go for a surf I lock my keys in the car and use a non electronic key to lock the car. Easy as the keys are well hidden in the car and even if they break in they won't be able to start the car.

Now with the 200 series if the keys are in the car just push the button and away you go. With the advent of battery powered angle grinders key safes are on the tow bar are out.

Maybe a biscuit tin might work, dunno?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Iza B - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 06:54

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 06:54
Biscuit tin as a Faraday Cage? Easy enough to try. Short length of plumbing copper with push on caps would be easy to hide in the vehicle while surfing.

AnswerID: 619898

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 07:47

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 07:47
There are 2 or maybe 3 options

1)It's easy to flip open the FOB and remove or turn the battery over. 15 seconds.

2)As you say put the key in foil or a tin

3)If you have a 2015+ model, you can disable the fob by holding lock and unlock for 5 sor so seconds. That puts the FOB to sleep. It's in the manual. To wake the FOB up you touch any key.
AnswerID: 619900

Follow Up By: blue one - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 07:56

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 07:56
Excellent. Thanks Boo
FollowupID: 892229

Follow Up By: David I1 - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:50

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:50
Need to get a new car with the plastic wrist band that acts as the unlock and key start. Thats what I have and you just wear it like a watch!
FollowupID: 892230

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:54

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 09:54
Yeah , its in the manual , and every car thief knows about it , and if they did not , they know now ... you want to stop the thief , not give him the knowledge to do so , a well hidden 'on- off' switch anywhere bar the obvious under dash with well hidden wiring will STOP all but the most determined.
FollowupID: 892231

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 10:28

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 10:28
I agree with Alloy c/t.
A remote concealed switch which cuts power to the vehicle security system renders it not operational for all interested parties. Doesn't matter if the key unit is there or not then.
FollowupID: 892232

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 12:29

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 12:29
Sure Alloy but first

1) The thief has to know you hid your FOB in the car
2)He has break into the car, setting the alarm off
3)Know where to find the hidden key while the alarm is going off
4)Know that you have disabled the key and how.

Not perfect but a hell of a lot better than a remote key that has the electronics built in. You can't take that swimming so have to hide it in your towel or somewhere.

FollowupID: 892233

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 13:38

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 13:38
Boobook , even as the initial post stated , even the 'towbar' safe is not that secure in this day and age ....alarms can be silenced fairly simply ....determined car thieves WILL get not only into your vehicle but with electronics the way they are today even 'code' hopping keys can be bypassed with the right equipment making the original key irrelevant whereas a very simple well hidden 'on-off' switch to the ignition circuit stops the vehicle from being able to be started ....
FollowupID: 892234

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 13:49

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 13:49
Sure, the bank of England can be broken into. But the OP was asking for a secure way to lock his car while surfing.

If the thieves went to the extreme that you are referring to then nothing will stop them.

I have done what I said over 10 years many times. it is a practical, secure way of locking the car while swimming.

The car is locked, alarmed, and secured to the same extent as any time you lock it. If that isn't enough then of course it can be stolen.
FollowupID: 892235

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 17:34

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 17:34
Never heard of a wrist band ignition key - I want one! Where do I get it?
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892236

Follow Up By: Member - cruza25 - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:37

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 10:30

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 10:30
I'll confess I haven't had a car with a proximity key. One of our PM's at work has a Prado Kakadu and wanted me to drop him at the airport then leave his car at our job site for the weekend. I had to find a place to hide the key - In the PVC tube on the roofrack will do. You can guess the rest. We were lucky to not lose it.
AnswerID: 619901

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 11:14

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 11:14
On our Prado you can get it changed so that it only starts if the key is in the drivers area of the car (vs anywhere). If the 200 series has the same option then you might be able to hide the fob safely in the back of the car.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619902

Reply By: blue one - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 11:29

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 11:29
Thanks everyone

Much appreciated
AnswerID: 619903

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 14:26

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 14:26
If you hide the fob in the tin in the rear of the car, and upon leaving the car, use the lock button on the drivers door, then put the manual key for said door around your neck, you may be home and hosed
AnswerID: 619905

Reply By: bazz - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 15:05

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 15:05
Friends had their Amarok stolen from Byron whilst surfing ..key was in lock holder in the tub which they cut then stole vehicle, no insurance as key was left with vehicle. luckily vehicle recovered relatively undamaged a week later left in rest home car park .
Iwrap my key in glad wrap then supermarket bag & take it with me surfing ( long board ).
AnswerID: 619907

Reply By: smwhiskey - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 17:44

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 17:44
Just buy a crappy old rust bucket car that doesn't have all that electronic key stuff and drive to the beach in that. Bonus is that you won't be getting salt all over your 200 series and only a desperate thief would want to steal it and if they did, who cares. Probably a cheaper option than the rise in your insurance policy if the 200 series goes missing.

I've got a Suzuki Vitara. The Air con doesn't work, one of the electric windows is dead, the engine leaks oil, windscreen squirters are clogged up with alge and I reckon I'll need to clutch start it soon because the battery is on the way out. But it runs great. Only comprehensively insured because I'm teaching my youngest son to drive in it. After that it'll be third party insurance only.

Simon
AnswerID: 619908

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 07:21
That's an extremely helpful answer to a question about a key. We have learned

-your car is a crappy old rust bucket
=your car is worth less that a decent car's insurance
-It's a Suzuki Vitara\The aircon doesn't work
-it leaks oil
-the washers are clogged up with alge
-It needs a new clutch
-the battery is nearly dead
-your youngest son is learning to drive

But your post had absolutely nothing to do with keys or the OP's question.

"It's all about me" as they say.

FollowupID: 892237

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 14:42
smwhiskey,

Careful mate, you're not allowed to think outside the square here. Everything has to be the same shade of beige. At least you have'nt been chastised by the OP.

Regards
FollowupID: 892239

Follow Up By: smwhiskey - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 17:37
Yes I'm very aware of the high levels of intolerance towards out-of-the-box, free thinking members of society.

Definately wouldn't want to upset the masses by suggesting the best way of lowering the risk to their beloved and expensive 4WDs is to not put them in a position where they may get stolen or damaged in the first place. e.g. At the beach with the keys hidden inside.

Nor would I want to suggest the possibility of having a cheap 2nd car with keys that you can actually take into the water while you're surfing so you can leave your pride and joy safe at home and still not be too upset if el-rust bucket gets pinched.

But I definately wouldn't do any of that because I might just get howled down by somebody who didn't understand where I was coming from.

Simon

FollowupID: 892240

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:01
My biggest problem with your suggestion is the cost - it will cost at around $1300 in NSW to pay for annual registration, Green slip and third party property insurance. That's without including any extra expenses because you've got a crappy old car which needs more repairs.

With that sort of cost he'd probably be better off catching a taxi to the beach...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892247

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 06:19

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 06:19
Gramps, you can do whatever you like, buy whatever car you like. My comment has nothing to do with restricting your thinking. It purely relates to your comment having nothing to to with helping the OP.'s question.
FollowupID: 892249

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:05

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:05
Boobook,

Get your eyes tested, it wasn't my comment to start with. smwhiskey's comment proposed an alternative solution. Get over it.

regards
FollowupID: 892250

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:13

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:13
Yes, apologies, Gramps. I didn't mean you. Sorry.
FollowupID: 892251

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:22

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:22
No problems Boobook. We're all too quick to criticize at times.

regards
FollowupID: 892252

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 07:59
Thank you Gramps, and I should explain my original motive for my comment to smwhhisky too.

I am not sure if it is by design or not, but EO threads go off topic so quickly that they have nothing to do with the OP question. It's not just this thread, it is almost every thread.

I have seen so many threads that have gone senile within days, and experienced OT discussions that rendered the original topic / question irrelevant to the body of the thread.

I love EO but this issue drives me nuts. It is pointless looking through old threads for information because the body is totally relevant to the title of the thread. So guess what. People start new threads and it happens all over again. Anyone up for a new Solar, electrical, tyre, sat phone thread? And guess what, the people who probably know the answer don't bother answering these - for the 20th time. It's a down hill slippery slope for a forum.

While other forums go OT, the better ones are moderated to minimise this. They have threads that are useful resources to go back to years later. Some of these, eg LCOOL are growing daily. Why - because they are a useful resource, not a platform to open up personal issues ( Like this one LOL).

There is some wonderful information on this forum. MickO, StephenL, Landy, Allan, etc etc all post some wonderful research and reading. ( sorry I know I missed a few).

The OP asked a simple question. How can I surf with my keys? About half the responses - now including this one, have nothing to do with helping the OP.

I just hope EO can think of a way to keep these threads relevant. Cutting follow ups and heavier modding would be a great start.

Ok now for my first coffee...
FollowupID: 892254

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:58
Install a simple, ball valve stainless steel/nylon seat tap, in the fuel line, in a well-hidden area - or in a spot where you can fit a simple plastic flap over it, that you can clip on and off.

Turn the tap off when you leave the vehicle. They don't get far with no fuel supply.
The best part is, the thief may get a few metres, then the vehicle stalls and won't restart.
Nothing like the psychological impact on a thief, of a vehicle that starts, then stops, and won't go again.

The thief thinks it has some slick new type of anti-theft device. Worse, he'll be stuck in a position, out from where you parked, where attention will be drawn to him - probably blocking traffic - the last things he wants.

Had a mate with this setup on his Patrol many years ago, it saved his vehicle at least twice.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619934

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 17:45

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 17:45
Hi Blue One

I have a 200 Series and swim at the beach all the time. What you need to do is to take the key that is imbedded in the remote. There is a button on the left side of the remote to push. Push it and out comes the key. Leave the remote in the vehicle and lock the vehicle with the key. Attach the key to the loop in the pocket of your boardies. Simple. The vehicle cannot be started without the key.

Good luck
Steve

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619962

Follow Up By: blue one - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 18:14

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 18:14
Spot on Steve. A mate filled me in and I tried it yesterday . It works as you describe.

Cheers
FollowupID: 892285

Sponsored Links