Oil use in 2015 D-Max

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 19:11
ThreadID: 136938 Views:9487 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Have anyone with this model D-Max have any problem with excess engine oil use.
Mine has done 50,000km,I checked it at about 48,000km and the oil was down just below half on dip stick.
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 19:38
901 - I do not know of, nor heard of anyone, having oil consumption problems with the D-Max. The Isuzu engines are a particularly good engine overall.

Do you know what the amount of oil is, between high and low marks on the dipstick?

Did you check the oil with the vehicle level, and after it had been sitting for some time? - both times?

Often a slight difference in slope will cause a different reading on the dipstick. It pays to check the oil in the same position each time - preferably a known level concrete floor.

A sudden increase in oil useage in turbocharged diesels is often caused by a blown turbocharger oil seal.
Is the exhaust showing blue smoke under normal operating conditions? (you need someone following you to gauge this).
Blue smoke is indicative of excessive engine oil consumption, and often caused by said blown seal.

Are you using the correct grade of oil, and the one recommended in the manual?

I have found that some oils have additives that are too "slippery" for some designs of engines, thus causing excessive oil consumption.

Back in the 70's and 80's, it was well known amongst our local group of heavy equipment contractors that Mobil oil was prone to cause excessive oil consumption - and this was noted as being accompanied by regular blue smoke from the exhaust stacks of machines using Mobil oil.

We put it down to some particular new additive that Mobil was using - but we never found out what the precise reason was for the Mobil oil to be so prone to excessive consumption.

Those of us concerned about the Mobil oil problem, refused to buy or use Mobil oil and we used Caltex, Shell, Golden Fleece and Esso oils as our preferred brands - all of which provided good service and low oil consumption.

Some Castrol oils have also been noted as being prone to excessive oil consumption.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619949

Follow Up By: 901 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 19:57
Thanks for that Ron,Yes checked 1st thing in the morning before being started as well as being level.(retired mechanic)
No smoke coming from exhaust.
Oil was replaced at the last service by the dealer.
I did'nt top up with oil as it was due for 50,000 km service
Cheers
Glyn
FollowupID: 892272

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 23:45

Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 23:45
I got mine back from the dealer after the last service and it was half way up the dipstick. They hadn't filled it up correctly
FollowupID: 892371

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 20:02
Is the engine oil a decent quality of oil. Many service centres don’t use decent well recognised oils and that may be the reason for excessive use IF it is actually happening.
Hot running and towing may also cause more useage as higher cylinder pressures cause slightly more blowby.

I haven’t noticed more use with Mobil 1 diesel but do notice the oil stays far cleaner longer than with other oils used. At 16,000km the oil is much cleaner than Mobil Delvac MX ESP and other oils are at 10,000km. Has to be the sealing of the rings.
You need to observe the exhaust when driving while hot, as mentioned, and keep a close account of type of work to ascertain what is really happening.

If the vehicle had done many km of relatively cold running, nd stop start driving, there may have been some dilution of engine oil with I unburnt diesel fuel which has gone past th rings. When run hot, that will then use more than normal seeing the oil is degraded a small amount.
AnswerID: 619950

Follow Up By: 901 - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2018 at 21:01
thanks for that
not sure what oil dealer uses so will check that
We live out in the WA Wheatbelt so not a lot of stop start.
Cheers
glyn
FollowupID: 892273

Reply By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:48

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 08:48
Glyn

I have owned 6 Isuzu built diesel vehicles over the years and the worst oil consumption that I have had was under 1 litre in 10k, mostly they use very little and the useage that I found was all when the vehicles were near new.

As you mention that the vehicle is dealer serviced do not forget that the scheduled oil changes are at 20k intervals, so no change at the 50k service. Can you be sure that the oil level was correct at the last service (40k), or even if it was in fact changed and if so what specification oil was used, was it in fact a CF4 or better oil.

Should the vehicle NOT be subjected to reasonable loading they do tend to glaze the bore. Incorrect oil spec can also result in glazing of the bore. A good load and hill can do wonders for glazed bore.

I would suggest that firstly you do an oil & filter change so that you know the quality of the oil in the engine (and also that it is fresh oil), load the vehicle and drive it as though you stole it for a short time and then monitor for the next 10k.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 619954

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:32

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:32
Glyn - don't forget, "dusting" is an ever present threat to engines in dusty areas.

Make sure all intake hose clamps and brackets are secure, and that there's been no penetrative damage of any kind to any part of the intake system.

Check the filter for damage and proper sealing. Slack mechanics have been known to fit air cleaner elements improperly, or with debris under the seal.

"Dusting" is slow and sinister, and you have no warning of severe engine damage until its too late.

I'm dealing with a 4 cyl Toyota diesel in a forklift at present, that's been "dusted".
A slack fitter installed a new seat and put 4 new bolts that were too long, through the seat runner mountings.
When the engine hood was closed, one of the bolts was rubbing on the alloy intake manifold - eventually wearing a hole right through it.
You'd be amazed at the amount of dust that gets through an 8mm hole.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619955

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:25

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:25
How bizarre Ron!

A steel bolt that was too long, pushing onto a steel manifold hard enough to put a hole into the manifold, but the engine hood still closed?

Very strange!
FollowupID: 892291

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:52

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:52
Kevin
Hardly bizarre, the manifold stated as Alloy, would wear through before lunchtime.
Everyone needs repairmen like that to ensure long life don’t they? Fitters of what? Amazing how fitters aren’t tradesmen.
FollowupID: 892295

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 22:00
Alloy, or steel, it's still beyond the laws of physics that the engine hood would close with a bolt long enough to push a hole into a manifold under the seat.

Try putting a bolt under your bonnet long enough to put a hole in your manifold & then closing the bonnet. It ain't going to happen.
FollowupID: 892297

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 22:17

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 22:17
If the engine s rubber mounted it could be just hitting intermittently.
FollowupID: 892298

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 23:39

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 23:39
Kevin - The engine hood on the forklift doesn't close and lock like a car bonnet.

It hinges at the top rear, and swings down to close, and sits on a rubber cushion, that's like a large door seal. There's no locking mechanism.

Obviously, the bolt was sitting on the alloy manifold, and holding the engine hood up slightly - but not enough to be immediately obvious.
The engine hood is thin material, about 1mm thick, and it flexes.
The hood does contain a number of re-inforcing bars and plates, spot welded in position - but overall, it flexes appreciably.

The slight movement of the engine on its rubber mountings provided the movement to abrade the manifold, until the bolt wore through it.
The alloy in the manifold isn't any more than about 3mm thick.

I've seen people put wrong sized batteries in Landcruisers (too tall), and the terminal posts touched the bonnet when it was closed - making for some interesting results!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892299

Reply By: DiggZ - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:33

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:33
I have a 2013 dmax, doesn't use oil. The dipstick pretty well seals the dipstick tube and if you pull it straight out can give an incorrect reading. I pull the dipstick out a bit and leave it for a minute or so then dip it and take the reading.
AnswerID: 619956

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 19:46

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 19:46
HI
I don't follow Holden utes but after having a conversation with local parts Manager about the 14-15 utes whether it was Colarado/Isuzu/ who ever there sold thru . The 13--15 utes had consumption issues re multiple engines a week were being replaced . The conversation would have been early last year .

Mobil engine oil is full of detergents compared many other brands . It will be easy to reduce consumption by not using there mineral grade oil .

Mobil 1 synthetic is a good product but $$
AnswerID: 619999

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 23:16

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 23:16
Swampy, the Holden Colorado uses a 2.8L (model A428) engine built by the Italian company VM Motori.
The Isuzu D-Max uses a 3.0L (model 4JJ1-TCX) engine built by Isuzu - and it's the same engine as used in the 2 tonne Isuzu trucks.

The 2.8L VM Motori engine is not a patch on the 3.0L Isuzu engine for durability.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892339

Sponsored Links