Mazda Bravo B2600 Duel cab ute

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 02:22
ThreadID: 13702 Views:6853 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, must say this site makes for an interesting read!!! Just a quick question we have a 96 model of the above 4wd and was wondering if anyone can give us a report of there 4wd capability. We were in Exmouth/Coral bay recently and only went as far south as 1 mile camp after crossing Yardie creek from Exmouth!!! Should I be concerned going all the way to Coral Bay??? As we are heading back up there in December ( Should be nice and warm!!! like about 50c)

Thanks for any help!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyG (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 07:04

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 07:04
Hi Mazda,

I owned a ford badged 92 model years ago.

In 4wd mode I found the vehicle to be very cabaple. But then I treaded lightly with the vehicle as I had no modifications on the car.

Only things I had to look out for was:

* ground clearance only because I did not want to damage car
* going through water because my car did not have a snorkel.
* if running standard tyres, make sure you deflate tyres for assisted traction

Hope this helps

Thanks

TonyG

AnswerID: 62866

Reply By: The Banjo - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 13:43

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 13:43
Amen to the above also.....I had a 91 model for about 9 years.......we had quite a lot of trips to the bush in ours......without testing it to the extreme, I gained the impression it would go anywhere that anything else in the class would go.......in the right hands, it would stack up as well as most I gather (in the un-modified's that is). We put some budget steel rims and some wider rubber on it too....turned it into a sand demon - with pressures down around 18 psi and little cargo, it would float across the top of soft dunes like a boat (see this pic made for my mate Bob). Only thing is.........if you want to keep it long term, look after it really well re servicing....use good lubricants....I don't think the factory design or build them for long term consumers - it is really a commercial workhorse in my view, despite how well the domestic versions may be tarted up.
AnswerID: 62885

Reply By: Trracer - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 01:30

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 01:30
I agree with Banjo. I have a ford badged 1999 turbo diesel dual cab tray back which was bought for farm work. Since then we have put on bfg 225 A/Ts (the original rubber is hopeless), a long range tank, dual batteries, a snorkel and raised the breathers but no major mods (see rig pic). It hasn't stopped us going anywhere we wanted to and even pulls a camper reasonably well. The big benefit is much better fuel consumption than the cruisers and a better variety of uses (the tray is set up as a rough camper as well).

They are more delicate than the heavyweights and we service every 5000k but have had no mechanical problems at all.

I wouldn't think the Coral Bay track wil present any problem at all.

Happy travelling.

AnswerID: 62947

Follow Up By: phil - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:11

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:11
I have a 2000 TD Bravo. I have been trying to locate the breathers.
Can you tell me where they are located?

My vehicle is a Cab Plus with a tray and was also bought for farm work. I also use the tray for camping with a lift off canopy and roll up vinyl sides.

Cheers, Phil I
FollowupID: 324530

Follow Up By: Mazda - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:56

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:56
Thanks to all of you for your information it has been very helpfull, at the moment I have Kumo 205 AT's on it, Its near new tyre time would it be worth going to 225's or are 205's ok?? Remembering most of its city work is the 3km from home to work and back??
FollowupID: 324857

Follow Up By: Mazda - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:59

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:59
Thanks to all of you for your information it has been very helpfull, at the moment I have Kumo 205 AT's on it, Its near new tyre time would it be worth going to 225's or are 205's ok?? Remembering most of its city work is the 3km from home to work and back??

We are fairly new to the 4wd scene so please excuse my ignorance!!!
FollowupID: 324858

Follow Up By: Trracer - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:46

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:46
The diff breathers are on top of the housing. I am not sure about the gearbox breather as this needed a different plug to be fitted to connect the breather and was done by our servicing shop.

We originally had Bridgestone Dueller road tyres as supplied which had no grip. We decided to go to bfg and 225/75s which were the widest that would fit without flairs. These cost about $240 each but are hardly worn at all after 40 000ks. I would think that 205s in an AT format would be fine for occasional off- road. I don't like super wide tyres anyway and certainly wouldn't go bigger than 235s on this type of vehicle. (235/85s are only $18 more each but add an extra 15mm clearance and a stronger E rating).
FollowupID: 324935

Sponsored Links