Problem with a Diesel Heater

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:06
ThreadID: 137046 Views:6200 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Planner DH that stops running after about 20 minutes. Plenty of heat but does not reach max. Could it be fuel line problem ? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:45

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:45
Hi johno,
Hubby has been looking at these heaters.
We have an 11' van. I worry about them under the bed,therefore the indecision & looking at many types for a long time.

When he looked at this Planner one he was told by a reliable source that they were just as good as the more expensive ones.
However, when queried on faults he was told that if you run them on low for a certain time that they will soot up & have to be taken apart & cleaned.
He isn't here but if there is any thing different I'll let you know.

Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 620389

Follow Up By: johno59 - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:25

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:25
They are supposed to be a good heater. Made in China. There are Australian made brands. Lots of people place them under the bed. We have not had a problem in that way. It delivers lots of heats but just shuts down at 20 min. Installation can be done by yourself if handy. I did ours and it was all working ok till recently. Good luck with your research.
FollowupID: 892797

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:27

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:27
Planar have come up with a control circuit which prevents the heater hitting full stride and making a fair bit of noise. This allows people to have constant, quiet fan and furnace speeds at night which is nice, but contrary to the usage principles of the unit and eventually you have to pay the soot tax. Run it flat out for 10 mins before turning off and you will be fine. Also for the OP, there are a few versions such as are (were) used by Kimberley Kampers which have timer circuits in the controller and need to be restarted. Is the cut out a new thing or have you just installed it?
FollowupID: 892803

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:32

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:32
Assuming that the OP means Planar heaters, I was under the impression that they are made in Russia.
I have one in the Tvan & a Webasto in the Quantum & can’t tell the difference in performance.
Returning to the original question, I would check the fuel filter as it sound so like a fuel restriction.
FollowupID: 892804

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:56

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 16:56
Back again johno,
Hubby has come home & what I told you was correct but the bloke also told him about the running flat out for 10 mins the same a gbc has explained.
Good luck.
Take care safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 892805

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:54

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:54
Old or new?....does it have a thermostat in the setting dial that is near the heat output at all?.....anything near the air intake that could cause it to shut down?
AnswerID: 620390

Follow Up By: johno59 - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:31

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:31
Only 12 mths old.There is a thermostats in the switch. Recently we went to Birdsville ......sooooo much dust, that may have something to do with it. I guess I will just have to start from the fuel Tank and work thruigh the whole system to try and get to the bottom of it thanks. Nothing near internal intake, external intake pipe got blasted by rocks and is shredded? Still sucks in the air though?
FollowupID: 892798

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:59

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 13:59
Johno59

You probably have a PLANAR diesel heater. What does the purchase docket and label say?

Can you relight it soon after it stops?
You mentioned plenty of heat but how did you work out it doesn't reach max, perhaps it detects the intake air is hot and shuts down the unit, so no need to keep running.
If left switched ON does it restart by itself at a lower temp in the van? or are you turning it off before the thermostat detects the fall of temp inside. Does it restart?

If it gives plenty of heat, then it would indicate plenty of fuel, you can't get hot with not enough fuel input, but there may be an air bubble in the system which develops and travels to/through the pump. That might only happen when the pump is running because of the fuel line allowing air IN during fuel flow, ie faulty hose fit to plastic line.

I am surprised you didn't protect the intake cold air hose with a stone shield!
AnswerID: 620392

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 21:01

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 21:01
I would completely remove the external air intake pipe and do a trial run, just in case there is a blockage in the pipe that you cannot see.

Peter
FollowupID: 892809

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 21:37

Sunday, Jul 29, 2018 at 21:37
As we spend a bit of time on dusty roads, we block the exhaust pipe under the van with a Wine cork, just while we are travelling. It keeps dust out of the system. And when the van is standing unused for a while we keep the cork in to stop wasps and other critters from building nests in there. BUT remember to remove said cork before turning the heater on.

This is advice we were given on another forum.
AnswerID: 620398

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 07:31

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 07:31
You may also find that the heat exchanger fins inside the unit are covered in fluff picked up by the cabin intake and stuck to the heat exchanger fins, this will cause the heater to detect an overheat situation and shut down.
The top cover of the heater unclips and you can access all the top side without removing the heater. A bit of compressed air and a vacuum might remove the rest.
AnswerID: 620400

Reply By: Member - Racey - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 at 09:47

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 at 09:47
Another possibility, I have experienced is the breather hole in the fuel tank being blocked.
AnswerID: 620445

Reply By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Thursday, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:41

Thursday, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:41
I dont know its the oldest problem in the book in the cold weather diesel fuel waxes up that is the wax in the fuel goes hard and blockes the filter I live in Oberon NSW and our fuel is called Winter fuel that is it is it has a addertive in it the stopes the fuel from waxing up so when you are in the cold and you want to use the deisel heater makes sure you have winter fuel in your vehicle and you heater
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620456

Reply By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Aug 02, 2018 at 15:07

Thursday, Aug 02, 2018 at 15:07
We had some dramas with our diesel heater a few weeks ago. The fuel pump developed a slight air leak, just tiny bubbles of air being sent down the delivery hose. After a while all those little bubbles made one big bubble and the heater would shut down.

I contacted the seller and got a new pump sent out. Bobs your uncle now. Working like a charm.

At Blackall the other morning it was -3 outside and 22 inside.

It might be worth uncovering your fuel hose and checking for bubbles

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 620460

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 04, 2018 at 09:43

Saturday, Aug 04, 2018 at 09:43
Did you fix the problem & if you did, what was it?

AnswerID: 620498

Sponsored Links