GME UHF Transmit fix! Output module replacement!

Submitted: Monday, Aug 06, 2018 at 15:09
ThreadID: 137091 Views:4109 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
This fix may be of value to some here on Exploroz with GME UHF products, now or in the future. I've had a GME 3420 an older 40 channel model for a few years with no problems till recently I was having trouble talking to others still in sight of me. I found the fibreglass antenna outer tubing loose, when i removed it to see if it could be glued back on, I found the brass inner antenna broken. I bought a new Antenna, complete with lead and plug to avoid any dramas but the radio would only transmit a 100 metres or so with what seemed to be a very low output. The output module obviously failed when i was using the radio with the antenna damaged. I Googled the problem and came up with this fix. I repaired mine today and its working fine again. This fix will be applicable to many GME radios fitted with this output module and or same layout. The output module, located on the rear of the radio behind a small aluminium serial plate fails for a few different reasons, overheating due to its fragile nature (so others say), when an antenna fails or the radio is transmitted without an antenna, these are well known reasons for failure. The new output module is available from a South Australian company called Mini Kits Australia, the module number is Mitsubishi RA07N4452M 7W 9.6V 440-520Mhz, and along with a small tube of Heat Transfer Paste for a few dollars, the total cost is less than $40 delivered to your door. You only need to remove the serial number plate at the rear of the radio on the alloy chassis, the two small Philips screws and the top cover with four small Philips screws.There is no need to remove the circuit board. Its a very small soldering job, four small legs, so if you are not handy with a soldering iron and a de-soldering tool, i'm sure your local computer or electronics guy could fix it on the spot for a small cost, it would take only 10 minutes start to finish. Obviously you will need to check the module part number before you purchase the new one. This fix may at some stage save you sending your radio back to GME for the probably $100 plus fix plus postage both ways if you dont live close to a GME service centre. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Ken - Monday, Aug 06, 2018 at 17:22

Monday, Aug 06, 2018 at 17:22
Michael this is great advice, just wish I had it a couple of years or so ago ! My radio snuffed it without any aerial failure but it was the same module that packed up. The repair place said the original unit was under rated and failures were not uncommon.
He said the replacement unit he fitted had a higher voltage rating than the 9.6 volts of the original unit which under some conditions apparently can be exceeded in this model radio.
Maybe a story for suckers I don''t know but no problems since.
Ken
AnswerID: 620557

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:04

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:04
That's the general thought about the output module, it's values are lower than needed. There is also talk about upgrading it but no one seemed to actually change it. It would be interesting to know the part number on your replacement output module in your unit at some stage. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 893044

Reply By: Rainman WA - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:04

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:04
I just had the output module replaced in my GME 3200 a couple of weeks ago, cost was around $120. Repairer said its very common and its just a matter of time before it happens again.

However, I'm still not sure things are working properly as incoming transmissions are still very scratchy. When I first pulled the unit out the check why it wasn't transmitting I unscrewed the antenna cable connector and the central pin fell out so I replaced it with a connector from Jaycar.

Should I just replace the whole antenna or could it be the Jaycar connector isn't as good as the original? Apologies for hijacking thread.
AnswerID: 620569

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:14

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 10:14
GME antennas are also a very common failure but most can be pulled apart and connections repaired if your that way inclined, doesnt hurt to try, just make sure there are no shorts or opens in the coax when you are doing it, or this will damage the power module again, also keep you talking to short bursts, the radios are so small the heat dissipation isnt very good.
FollowupID: 893042

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:16

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:16
Rainman WA, That pin that fell out would probably be the cause of your electronic failure. I dont know about GME antennas, I bought an Axis brand and it lasted for several years. The Jaycar plug will be good if fitted properly. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 893045

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 15:59

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 15:59
Michael the radio isn't the one i have in my vehicle now but I do have it at home [currently in Qld] so will post a follow up when I'm back in about 3 weeks. Are you able to see any ID on the removable plate or do I have to take the lid off the radio?

Ken
AnswerID: 620578

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 19:08

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2018 at 19:08
Ken, that's great, yes remove the two screws and the info will be printed on the module itself. Thank you. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 893054

Sponsored Links