CT recommendations

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 14:15
ThreadID: 137161 Views:4499 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Friends of ours are planning to take their work on the road next year and do a tour of Australia with the purpose of expanding her business network and having a bit of fun now the kids are gone. What are good recommendations under $30K, sleep 2, tow by Amarok. No major 4WD expeditions planned but they'll quickly get excited about seeking out fun tracks to explore to reach rivers and tracks to go MTB, kayaking etc. I'm sure they'll also quickly realise that with an offroad setup you can seek out free bush camps which they'll enjoy more than caravan parks when they can. A friend has a Cub Brumby which looks a good option. Any other comments, suggestions?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 16:03

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 16:03
The CUB Brumby is a great unit. We had a CUB Drover, just a little bit bigger. They go everywhere and anywhere and are quite roomy.
The downside to these type of campers, (both hard floor and soft floor) is the setup and packup times. We found they were best suited to camp up for a week or so. We found it was hard work travelling every day.
The kitchen is outside, often when we stopped for a cuppa or lunch, it was windy, or raining, or we were in the hot sun.
I assume they are buying s/h, just make sure all the zippers are OK.
I make these comments in comparison to a pop top with an awning which is far quicker to set up.
I’m sure they will enjoy their journey.
Pedro
AnswerID: 620845

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 16:18

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 16:18
Thanks for your reply Pedro. I totally agree with the comments about cuppa or lunch stop and shelter. Indeed good factors to remind them to think of. Interestingly, we don't even have a CT (we're swag users) so our vehicle is setup for the ideal lunch stop using rear roller drawers, fridge on slide, and with tail gate doors you get an instant cover for rain, and instant table for food prep. I haven't looked at their Amarok setup yet.

The owners of the Brumby actually say the feature they like the most is the 15 minute simple setup/pull down and the fact that in their 70s both the wife/husband can do it on their own if the other is in the shower etc. They had tested a few different brands by hiring first and came to this one. They say this is much quicker than the full canvas opening ones.

So in your opinion what would be even better? And if looking at pop tops are there any that spring to mind you can recommend?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893287

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:34

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:34
Hi Michelle,

As you know, we use a fitted Troopy now, but in the past had several campers, the last being Cub.
The Brumby has a good reputation and sets-up quite quickly. With a hard floor there is no need to seek a smooth site and keeps the floor out of puddles. The awning over the kitchen can remain stored in place over the roof or easily pulled out if needed. The simple kitchen serves well. The sleeping area can accomodate a good foam mattress.
Setup time is about 10-15 minutes once experienced.
I would expect that they would find a good one under $30k.

We are currently at Daly Waters en-route to Nhulunbuy so will warch out for any bargains. LOL

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 620847

Follow Up By: Member - peterdre - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:46

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:46
Hi Allan,
A friend did that trip couple of weeks ago. He said it was a good drive, but the last 150km were a bit rough.
Hope you have a good trip.
Cheers
Pedro
FollowupID: 893291

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 15:19

Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 15:19
Thanks Pedro, we are at Nhulunbuy today.
Nah, the road in was fine. A few corrugations but I hardly know a road without them. "This is the Outback".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 893358

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:41

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 17:41
Hi Michelle,
We too are now in our 70’s, but could never achieve 15 minute pack ups even with 2 of us! I assume a 15 minute p/u was without an awning? We carried a few items on top which also extended the time.
We moved from a CUB to a North Coast Camper 15XLT. It is truly an effortless 5 minute setup including awning. The downside is the $ to get into one.
Cheers
Pedro
AnswerID: 620848

Reply By: Robyn C8 - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 20:23

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 20:23
Hi Michelle.
If you are looking for the extreme off road ability and caravan park comfort as well. An early model TVan is a good option.
No wet canvas on the bed at any stage...if you have to pack up when it's been raining
Enough room for 2 adults and room to sit in comfort, to eat, work and sleep.
No extra ropes needed for full set up of the integrated canvas room.
If you have bad weather, you just position your van against the prevailing wind or sun and you can still do what you need to do. Then duck inside where it is warmer/ less sunny (lol)!
An Amorok will tow it fine.
TVan set up is easy.
We have had a caravan, Tent and camper trailer, when we still had the kids at home..then we migrated to a roof top tent...now we have an on road van and a
Tvan.
The TVan is so good on all the rough stuff, that we keep our wine and other beverages, in the TVan when we travel.
It remains cool and rides very well.
We've been privelaged to travel where we like and have found it to be the most comfortable and practicle car accessory we've ever had...lol

AnswerID: 620853

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 21:26

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 21:26
They also require a lot of effort to pack the canvas up in to the net, also have the hardest awning of any to put up, but other than that they are excellent.
FollowupID: 893301

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 07:23

Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 07:23
Shaker,

Packing up is easier if done the correct way. I didn't for a while and would then have agreed with you. After watching the 'how to' video found it much easier.

As to setting up they are a cinch.

And after all that I agree that they are excellent.

Paul
FollowupID: 893305

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 08:33

Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 08:33
suggest your friends look at myswag which is a campertrailer forum.
AnswerID: 620862

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:25

Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:25
If they plan to travel for a long period and aren't wanting the full on Offroad camper, then I'd suggest something like a Goldstream (or Jayco even) wind up. This style set up gives them somewhere to sit and cook indoors if the weather turns bad, and still be camper trailer like feel to sleep in. We have a rear fold hardfloor set up (Kimberley Kamper) and it's great for weekend getaways and on the move every day touring trips in fine weather, but when it's raining I wish I had somewhere indoors to sit and cook like the Goldstream. A mate towed his Goldstream over much of Oz without any major issues, the one downside though is they are pretty wide and do weigh abit overall....but every camper has it's positives and negatives.
AnswerID: 620863

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:22

Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:22
Ahhh... talking to my friend last night and she says they've dropped their CT budget to $10K!!!! Apparently they're heading away to Karijini in Sept with a TravelMax (WA made) forward folding camper 2013 they've got their hands on as a trial....

I probably shouldn't worry - they are both very adaptable people who live with very few mod cons. Both are vegan, fit and active with a "just get it done" approach to life. In fact, I've never heard her actually complain about anything in all the many years I've known her - not like me, haha! I like things to go to plan.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 620870

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 02:53

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 02:53
In that case a 2nd hand Johnno's. Soft floor, roomy, simple, strong.
FollowupID: 893328

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 09:20

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 09:20
Hi Michelle, from person experience, we have had both a CUB & a Kimberley Kamper, both hard floor rear fold camper trailers. The two biggest draw backs are has been mentioned, is that everything is outside, and the set up / pack down time. We have also had a Goldstream off road wind up. The Goldstream has the advantage of everything inside, but you still need to wind up the roof for cooking etc. We have now upgraded to a full size off road caravan.

We found the work involved in setting up & packing up of the rear fold camper trailers just gets harder as you get older. If your friends are contemplating keeping their CT for a long time, and are on the road for several weeks at a time, they may also find the work involved tiresome. Depending on how much you load on top, will also increase the time involved.

The Goldstream wind up still requires some “heavy” work to wind up & install pull out bed supports.

A TVan is the way to go for a simple easy to set up & convenient. They are not cheap, even a second hand one, so the $10K budget might be a stretch.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620879

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 09:44

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 09:44
Having owned 3 soft floors including a Track Eagle, a hard floor rear fold Pioneer Argyle & a Track Tvan, I would have to say that the Pioneer was by far the easiest.
FollowupID: 893331

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 16:15

Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 16:15
Sell the Amarok and buy an ex hire Troopy camper.
Set-up almost nil, go anywhere and comfortable in any weather...…
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 620902

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 16:55

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 16:55
Tad late but anythign but a windup roof ie jayco cormoral etc too many issues with cables rods winch etc to go wrong.

spent $1500 approx on a complete new winch and system to replace the original system installed in folks unit (new 2013) already had the crimp sleeve at end of winch cable where 4 tension bolts attach for roof risers rods installed last eyar and broke on folks begining of august .

Replaced it with a heavy duty 360 swivelling rigging attachment from Rud and grade ten bolt through plate and dynemma rope on winch - touch wood this won't fail

I did see a nice looking home built hybrid at mollerin rock last week, had a convo wiith owner/builder cost him approx 20k all up had a queen size bed pop up roof about 7 foot tall closed height and probably 3 foot extra height with roof up. attached hopefully
AnswerID: 621019

Reply By: Member - Stinger2 - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 16:38

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 16:38
Hi Michelle, nice CUB off road Daintree going in your classified section...
AnswerID: 621192

Sponsored Links