Lawn Hill

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 11:52
ThreadID: 137166 Views:3104 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any comments on the road into Adel Grove
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 17:20

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 17:20
Was there a bit over a month ago and it was pretty rough. Caravaners were struggling and the mechanic was repairing 12 tyres a day we heard. Its a broken single lane bitumen road for about the first 30ks and that isn't real flash before it deteriorates to an overused gravel road - rock hard in places and corrugated. A lot were choosing to camp on the river at Gregory and leave their vans there and do a day trip into Lawn Hill. I dropped tyres down to mid 20s and took it reasonably slow and I was towing an off road camper. No problems. When you come out stop and have a coffee at the little shop opposite the pub. He charges $10 to use his compressor to air up and you get 2 free coffees !!
AnswerID: 620882

Follow Up By: Rob M12 - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 18:09

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 18:09
Thanks Kenell,

That’s pretty much the story I got elsewhere, probably don’t need to do this time round, will do Lorena Springs instead
FollowupID: 893339

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 18:32

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 18:32
Rob,
I suspect you mean Lorella Springs. The road into there is as bad or worse than Lawn Hill. Magic place when you get there but the last 32 ks is rough. We went up from Cape Crawford and it wasn't too bad until the turn in. I understand it isn't too bad from Roper Bar - again until the turn into Lorella.
AnswerID: 620883

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Aug 26, 2018 at 13:19

Sunday, Aug 26, 2018 at 13:19
That 32km into Lorella Springs is much worse than the road into Lawn Hill.

The road from Roper Bar to the Lorella Springs turn off is not much better than the 32km road into Lorella Springs, and it's a lot longer coming that way, than from Cape Crawford.
FollowupID: 893348

Reply By: Member - Penski - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 21:25

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 21:25
We came out this morning. Travelling from the NP via Riversleigh to the Camooweal - Gregory Downs Road and then on the Thorntonia - Yelverton Road to the Barkly Highway took 3 hours towing a camper. The condition was good to very good. Graders are working in the area. We also came in this way so can’t comment on other routes. You can maintain 70-80 Kph for most of this route. The Yelverton Road is good bitumen too.
AnswerID: 620886

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2018 at 07:09

Sunday, Aug 26, 2018 at 07:09
Hi Rob

Regardless of where you are travelling in this wide, brown land of ours in Australia, you will never get a correct answer for a number of reasons.....

Experience

Vehicle Setup

Tyre Pressures

How fast you are travelling

Over the years, we have driven countless tens of thousands of outback dirt roads and the first thing we will all ask fellow travellers is what is the condition of the road you are about to travel on like.

I could not tell you how many times we have been told the road is horrific, you will ruin your vehicle and the usual type of stories, yet as we progress further, we say to ourselves when is the horror sections going to appear, and then many times never does.

We will all have a different story to tell about various roads, and basicly, get out there yourself, and drive to the conditions, as what I might call a good dirt road, you might interpret as shocking.

The actual road that you are referring to coming in from Gregory, we found it no problems at all, yet others will tell you it is shocking.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620889

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 15:13

Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 15:13
I totally agree with you Stephen. It is like asking "Who has the best pies?"
All one can say is....... "Some corrugations --- some rocky sections --- some soft sand" or the like. It is impossible to quantify it. In any case, what any given track was like a couple of week's ago is not what it may be like in a couple of week's time.
Have you noticed the increase over the past few months in people asking about the conditions of roads or tracks? Where has the adventurous spirit gone? Garn mate, just get out there an give it a go!

We are currently sitting in Nhulunbuy and the road in was much as you described.... some corrugations some loose surface and some gravel/stones. No trouble for a Troopy but someone in a Barina my find it daunting. Similarly, a Prado would likely be more comfortable on corrgations than my clumsy Troopy. It all depends, doesn't it?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 893357

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 16:06

Monday, Aug 27, 2018 at 16:06
Hi Allan and Roz

It’s great to hear that you are up in Nhulunbuy.

Speaking of small sedans, on our way in last year there was a local indigenous Subaru. They had run out of spare tyres and were running on 4 rims only that were totally buggered.......lol so my tyre repair kit was totally useless......I wonder why.

There are many great places to visit up there and I hope you do the Cape Arnhem drive, it is well worth it.

Safe travels.

Regards

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893359

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 08, 2018 at 16:42

Saturday, Sep 08, 2018 at 16:42
To respond to the OP, Rob, I am sitting in Adels Grove right now.
I suppose it may depend on which route of the possible three you refer to, but we came in from Doomagee and the road was as reasonable as any outback road....... gravel, a bit of loose surface, some corrugations, but nothing that any appropriate vehicle could not easily deal with.

As for the repairer mending "eight tyres per day", I simply do not believe it. Who told you that?
A "Four Wheel Drive Novelist" no doubt.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 893612

Sponsored Links