the canning stock route

Ladies and Gentlemen of the remote travelling kind, just a quick question, travel North to south or south to North, travel time about the middle of April 2019, which is the best direction for tackling the sand hills on the Canning stock route???.
we are still in the planning and vehicle prep stage, at the moment
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 17:01

Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 17:01
Do it north to south, no sun in your eyes pretty much all day, as you will going the other way.
AnswerID: 620922

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:34

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:34
Hi Les,
I never in a million years thought of the sun being an issue thank you for the heads up on the sun
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893408

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 16:30

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 16:30
The sun issue would likely be more of a worry in the general peak winter months, we did Cocklebiddy to Well 33 following all the northward “highways” (Connie Sue, David Carnegie, Gary) in June, and the sun was very noticeable.

April might be hit and miss with weather, you’ll just have to wait and see what the season brings.
We had planned to drive 33 south to Georgia Bore as part of our route, but even in June it was wet in there and the CSR was closed through Well 26.

FollowupID: 893425

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 19:29

Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 19:29
Hi Broodie,
the sand dunes on the Canning are not really an issue as long as your tyre pressures are right. I've run the whole distance in a heavily laden 105 Landcruiser (not known for having heaps of power) running 18psi and didn't need a second attempt on any dunes.
You can do the CSR comfortably in 10 days but you may want to insert some rest days (Durba Springs) and some side trips may also extend your time.
Good point about the sun in your eyes but I don't recall that being an issue.
Trust this helps.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 620924

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:47

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:47
Good morning DingoBlue,
thank you very much for your input, our initail planning meeting is scheduled for two weeks time when we start planning the nitty gritty of the trip, and my thoughts, at this stage are three weeks, for travel and sight seeing and a couple of non driving days , just to check things over and tighten everything up again, but we shall see what every one else wants to do.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893409

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 21:19

Thursday, Aug 30, 2018 at 21:19
Hi Broodie.

As PK said, north to south. As well as not getting the sun in your eyes, you get a much better perspective of the colors with the sun behind you.
In our experience, the northerly faces are not nearly as degraded as the south faces of the dunes, making it a much more pleasant trip.
Plan well and don't rush it. We spent three weeks and should have had four!

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 620931

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:54

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:54
Good morning Mike ,
thank you for your input, my personal thoughts are for three weeks on the track including a couple of lay over days to check the vehicle over thoroughly tighten everything up again, and give the body a respite from corrugation wobble. it looks like the consensus is for north south travel.
thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893410

Reply By: Greg J1 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 06:52

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 06:52
Hi Broodie

We went north south down the Canning in 2016. Can’t comment on which way is easier because only went one way ;).

We chose north south because of the comments we read on here about the sun. The sand dunes didn’t give us any problems, just let your tyres well down.

Took us 20 days, way way to many corrugations to do it in 10 days, but that’s just my opinion. We had the luxury of no time constraints, appreciate some people only have limited holidays available.

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 620937

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:02

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:02
Hi Greg,
thank you, we are on limited time as I have to be back in Perth to go to Canada in July,lol being retired, I am not watching a clock anymore, and your comments on the corrugations are very well noted, stay tune for more enquiries as our initial planning meeting is in a couple of weeks and I shall be asking more questions, believe me I like other peoples input.
thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893411

Reply By: David I1 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 13:48

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 13:48
My only thoughts are that April maybe too early. It depends very much on the weather. Last time I did it was in June and the bottom end was a quagmire yet the top half was sunny and dry. The salt pans were barely passable and a few cars had taken "short cut" to their peril. Even the bulldozer got bogged trying to recovour them.
AnswerID: 620949

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 17:31

Friday, Aug 31, 2018 at 17:31
I am looking at leaving as early as possible with the regard to weather, having lived in the Kimberley for several years I think I have, only think mind you, an understanding of the weather conditions up that way the same with the mid west and Pilbara areas. but as the seasons seem to keep changing and weather patterns are getting more erratic, as time goes by as my travel companions have said, departure still depends on the weather and information we glean from local people living in the areas and the authorities that control road closures. At the moment our pencil date is early to mid April .
what would put a real kybosh on the whole trip would be a really late cyclone hitting Derby in Late March, then I think Ill stay home, toooo much water. lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893428

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 20:47

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 20:47
Another issue to consider if you are going as early as April (in either direction) is that the spinifex will be thicker and higher.
This presents a fire risk unless you are very conscientious about regularly checking and clearing underneath the vehicle.
Fail to do that and, as others have found, you can pay a high price.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 621152

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 22:36

Tuesday, Sep 11, 2018 at 22:36
Wildmax,
thank you for the heads up and after doing a lot of research it has become very apparent that daily mechanical checks are going to be mandatory on all vehicles not just mine, as for spinifex one of our party is a smoker so we shall be stopping every hour for the obligatory smoke break, lol, and also to let the shockies cool down, and check for the build up around the hot parts and radiators.
this will be my first time on the stock route but two of our vehicles have been down it before so I am just finding out. It is amazing what we learnt at the gathering for initial planning meeting, and I and my thoughts were not to far off the mark, and wildmax your comment is right on the mark thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893680

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 03:35

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 03:35
June / July we did parallel routes to Canning (Connie Sue, David Carnegie, Gary Hwys) and the Spinifex was bad.
Daily mech checks yes, but try every 2 - 3 hours hooking out built up “mowing” from around cross members, transfer case, exhaust, spare wheel, etc.

Take a variety of lengths of stiff wire with hooks bent, also some nimble but protective gloves to pull out clumps.

A 5lt garden pressure sprayer is a good precaution in the event smoking spinifex is noticed, good reach and on most open adjustment on nozzle, had a good soaking action.
I got one from Bunnings for a pretty good price.
FollowupID: 893681

Sponsored Links