Planner Deisel Heater ..Glow plug replacement

Submitted: Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 21:56
ThreadID: 137194 Views:2768 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a special tool needed to replace/inspect the Glow Plug?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Jonty - Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 22:07

Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 22:07
Hi Johno,
There is a lot of info. in the Tech section of Caravan and Motorhome. I do believe there is a special spanner required.
Cheers. John
AnswerID: 621007

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 22:40

Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 22:40
Johno59
It is a Planar diesel heater isn't it?

Do you know you need to remove/replace the glowplug?
If your burner is full of dust from the intake tube damage you mentioned previously, the burner chamber may require a clean out. IF, and the operative word is IF, dust has been allowed to enter it will be diesel soaked in the burn chamber.
When travelling the exhaust should be plugged so the exhaust doesn't act as a venturi and suck airflow through the unit, if it does and the intake is supplied with dusty air then the dust will have travelled through the unit. Best to check the progress of any ingested dust, at least by taking the intake tube off the entry to the burner. Ideally, protect the intalke from dust in the first place.

Has it had plenty of use or not much at all?

If it lights and runs for any length of time at all, then the glow plug seems to be ok.

You can unscrew it with a suitable sized tube spanner if you really need to familiarize yourself with the look of it. Maybe inspect the chamber while you are at it. Good experience I suppose. Hardly worth it if it lights and runs though.
AnswerID: 621008

Follow Up By: johno59 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 06:24

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 06:24
Thanks for your advice. It does start up and runs ok, but then stops after about 10 minutes. Can't get it to run indefinitely.. Found a tiny piece of grit or something in the neck of the fuel inlet pipe so checked and cleaned the whole fuel line including the tank. It primed ok but still insists on running 10 minutes only. Hasn't had a lot of use, so doubtful it's the glow plug. Is there any other fuel filter inside the heater itself?
FollowupID: 893496

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 09:01

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 09:01
johno
Does your tank cap allow free flow of air INTO the tank while heater is running? If it can't breathe IN then the negative pressure developed in the tank will stop the diesel flow. That will turn it off.

Is your heater getting to the desired/set temp? if so the heater will turn off and wait until the ambient cools to the low threshold and then restart IF still switched on of course.

If it runs for 10 min it indicates it is all ok and has some other external influence affecting the constant running.

Does the voltage of the 12v supply drop too low and therefore the system WILL switch off, Have you checked the voltage all the time with a multimeter to see what happens while running.

There is a lot of missing info and lack of observation conveyed to us, there has to be a series of events evident to you which we are not aware of. Makes fault finding/diagnosis via a data stream more difficult and hit and miss.

The way it shuts down .
Does it shut off exactly at 10 min each time? If so it might be a timer set shut off programme selected.
Does it abruptly stop without warning?
Does it's fan speed stop suddenly or slow or increase a little before shut off.
Close observation may reveal where the problem lies.
FollowupID: 893500

Follow Up By: johno59 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 13:03

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 13:03
yeah, you are correct, hard to diagnose with no specific information on its operation. I can say now though since I cleaned all the fuel lines it will run continuously for 30/40 minutes until the Temp is reached and then shut dow. Will do some more test runs tommorow.
FollowupID: 893506

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 08:59

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 08:59
Try reading Thread ID 137124 for more information regarding this problem.

AnswerID: 621014

Follow Up By: johno59 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 10:17

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 10:17
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I may have found the problem. I have Been suspicious of the fuel. I found a tiny particular lodged in the fuel inlet below the heater next to the exhaust a few days ago. It worked well for a while then started to play up again, So I took the heater out of the van and put a fine piece of wire gently into the fuel inlet. It's been running now for an hr with no problems!! Fingers crossed!
FollowupID: 893503

Sponsored Links