Toyota Commuter 12 passenger van and luggage trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 10:41
ThreadID: 137196 Views:2533 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks havent posted here for a long long while. I will be taking 10 people aroundDarwin and Kakadu in May of 2019. I am trying to gather information on folks experience with a toyota commuter 12 passenger van while hauling a luggage trailer in that area.

1. Would you consider hauling a luggage trailer behind if you had to do it again?

or

2. Would you simply rent another vehicle and have another driver truck all the luggage around in an SUV type vehicle.?

Would appreciate your comments very much!

Don K
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Arthur - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 13:09

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 13:09
If you look at all the "backpacker" type tours you will find that they all tow a luggage trailer. Coming out of that area earlier this year every single 12-20 seater bus had an enclosed lockable luggage trailer in tow. The other advantage is you always have the luggage with you should a need to get something out of someones bag.
AnswerID: 621017

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 14:06

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 14:06
I used a 12 seat Toyota Commuter years ao, running local tours around Adelaide and near country, even did a couple of runs to Vic and Tas on bushwalking tours.

It'd go to some pretty remote areas fine, and though I didn't tow anything, it had plenty of get up and go.

Provided the trailer is up to the road conditions, I'd say it's the better option, much more economical to take it all that way, rather than a second vehicle and driver.

The trailer would need to be a decent build, not many are made for off road, so taking it easy where necessary, and perhaps dropping tyre pressures (on both vehicle and trailer) a bit will help on corrugations and gravel roads etc.
This acts a little like extra shock absorption, and protects tyres from sharp rocks etc.
AnswerID: 621018

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 21:05

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2018 at 21:05
Have hired a 12-seater and trailer every year since 2007 to take a group of blokes away on a golf/V8 race weekend.

Those buses are great but don't handle gravel roads very well - I'd hate to be sitting over the rear axle on Kakadu corrugations...

Might be worth getting hold of a large esky to keep in the bus so you have coldies at the ready.

Only need one driver and can do it on a normal class licence.

Look at the insurance excesses very carefully too - can cost a fortune.
AnswerID: 621020

Reply By: Zippo - Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 08:15

Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 08:15
One word of caution. Make sure the trailer is pretty much air-tight at the front and sides. Had the experience of one of these "baggage trailers" from Darwin to Adelaide, and all the contents came away smelling of diesel exhaust/soot. Not the best outcome for the passengers' clothes despite them all being in zipped-up bags or suitcases. YMMV.
AnswerID: 621048

Follow Up By: Wompoo - Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 17:51

Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 17:51
Very helpful Zippo. Anyone else have an issue of the luggage coming out of it smelling like diesel fumes? Would not be the best for paying clients!
FollowupID: 893557

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 18:10

Thursday, Sep 06, 2018 at 18:10
Mine was petrol, but I imagine if diesel smoke could come out onto a trailer, it might just be a problem, but I would have thought a very negligible issue.
Dust on the other hand, if the trailer isn't sealed well, will be through everything.
FollowupID: 893558

Reply By: Wompoo - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 16:28

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 16:28
Hmm Seems like mixed reviews on this one but I am inclined not to haul a trailer if there is a strong risk in Kakadu region to having peoples luggage dusty and smelling of fuel. Much appreciate the answers. Always open to hearing more wisdom on this one. - Thanks!
AnswerID: 621118

Sponsored Links