TPMS

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 08, 2018 at 19:56
ThreadID: 137218 Views:5856 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. I'm looking at getting a TPMS for my ute but I am wondering what the forumites would recommend. I have 3 under consideration but would like some information of what people are using. The 3 that I am considering are the Tyredog, Davies Craig and Steelmate. Devron (?) is another that is in the mix.
Any pros and cons would be appreciated.
Thanks - bruce
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Saturday, Sep 08, 2018 at 23:45

Saturday, Sep 08, 2018 at 23:45
Hi Bruce. I have a SensaTyre internal system installed on the 200 Series and the Tvan. The sensors are located within the tyre itself actually attached to the rim by a steel band. The instructions that came with the system indicated that I should install the receiver under the vehicle, however I installed it on the cargo barrier to avoid damage from stones and dust. It does work well, however it can be a little slow in picking up the Tvan sensors.
Fortunately it has only had to demonstrate its worth once. At that time whilst travelling east of Alice Springs the alarm sounded. I stopped and the tyre was less than half deflated. As the damage was in the sidewall I did have to replace the tyre but if it had been damage which could have been repaired then the tyre would have suffered no damage from the deflation process.
Interestingly of greater value than the pressure readings are the temperature readings. You certainly get an indication of inadequate or adequate inflation by monitoring this aspect.
Overall I have been pleased with the system and of course having internal sensors means that tyre inflation and deflation is as normal and sensor loss is not an issue. Supposedly the sensor batteies have a seven year life span. Time will tell.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 621102

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 07:38

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 07:38
Another vote for SensaTyre system. I have it installed on two Nissans and a T-van I use the external sensors so I can interchange rims between each vehicle. Last year I had 12 flats (the tyres weren't the best and the roads were full of sharp rocks) and the sensors picked up every one of them. Over the 8 or 9 years I have had the system I would estimate it has warned me of about 25 deflating tyres apart from some that were side wall damaged most were repairable. Previous to installing the SensaTyre I had three flats on the Nissan and all tyres disintegrated. With a tyre sensor on the vehicle you usually have enough time to get a jack under the vehicle before they become dead flat.
Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 893624

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 13:20

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 13:20
Another vote for SensaTyre... especially if you're towing something - my last 3 flats were all on our Tvan and I wouldn't have noticed on the corrugated/bumpy roads until the rim/tyre was shredded without it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 893632

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 14:52

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 14:52
The SensaTyre might be good but they are very expensive, for the 10 sensor the same as I have, it will cost you $1,100.00. I could buy nearly three of my units for that price.
FollowupID: 893634

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:36

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:36
Kazza055 I know it cost me more than that to set it up in two different vehicles but with a conservative estimate of $100 a tyre saved I'm a long way in front.
FollowupID: 893643

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Sep 17, 2018 at 14:10

Monday, Sep 17, 2018 at 14:10
I have had Sensa Tyre TPMS system for over 10 years and it has more than paid its way. Always knowing your tyre pressures and temperatures in the outback is a safety issue. Only internal senses give accurate temperature readings.
Knowing the temperatures of your tyres is important in setting their optimum pressure.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893781

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 09:22

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 09:22
Take a Iook at Masten tpms options.
Masten at Digoptions

Quite a lot of options for internal and external sensor units.

I have had the HD truck 8 sensor model for about 3 years.
Masten 8 sensor external

I have the obvious 4 on the vehicle wheels, 2 for the main spares, and 2 for the inevitable camper trailer down the track (no pun intended).

It’s saved me both tyres and inconvenience on a few trips.
Catching a pressure problem early is both and economic and safety factor.

As far as reduced inconvenience, I had a slow leak in front tyre on a Simpson Geos trip, without removing wheel and bathing to find the pinhole, I was able to monitor the pressure and when it got to say 8psi, I could pull over, inflate to ~ 20, and I’d be good for a few hours again.
Rather than pull up more regularly and check with an air gauge.

A mate has the solar 4 main wheel sensors (smaller sensor) and is very happy with it.
Masten solar

A couple of points.

I find the temp part of the readings next to useless with external sensors, they are good for telling you the air temp outside though :)
They will rise from ambient temp to about 24c usually, and only change with external influences.
The spare under the back (protected under tray) will read higher temp then road tyres, the one on the roof rack (in cold rushing air) less both in temp and pressure reading.
Internal ones may be more accurate / valuable if you are worried about this, but I find just watching the pressure movements is plenty to tell me if something isn’t right.

I have 2 valves per wheel, as airing up / down would be a pain with the security spammer on the sensors all the time.
Sensors are left on permanently and the 2nd valve used for pressure adjustments.
You won’t need this if choosing internal sensors, but I just felt external was the preferred way for me . . . in fact I had one fail at the start of a recent big drive, and was able to swap one from one of my spares to get me through.
Turns out it was just the battery as suspected, that seemed to have failed prematurely as the others were no issue over 13700km.l and since then (June / July).

It’s nice to know they work when doing various things, like getting fast deflate alarm when airing down with the ezy deflator.

Once you have any sort of tpms and start getting feedback from your tyres and how they change with air, tracks work, gravel / bitumen roads at varying speed, and even sun on one side of your vehicle, you will wonder how you ever did without the peace of mind.
AnswerID: 621105

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 18:45

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 18:45
Les
The external screw on valve stem monitors do reflect changing tyre temperatures and certainly exceed the 24C you nominated. I've seen mine vary over 10C from front to rear to trailer tyres due to prolonged braking and differences in load on the tyre. I'm not saying they accurately measure the temperature of the actual tyre carcass, but certainly do reflect differences brought on by changing environment the specific tyre is in. I normally keep an eye on the differences between the tyre temperature
I have one of the 6 sensor ARB units (vehicle + camper trailer), as this is the only type I've ever owned I can't compare it to other units, other than to say I've been happy with it over the last 3 years and 120 000km
Mark
FollowupID: 893639

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:45

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:45
24 is an avg I’ve noticed during avg temp driving.
In hot weather I’ve seen 35, but the point is never a hot cascade (edit SB carcass) temp, say 60-80 etc.
I just bought a little SCA infra red temp gauge to do this, and monitor other items, so can start comparing tpms readings and tyre walls etc, this will help me know if those slight temp increases on the tpms are related to actual temps of tyres.
FollowupID: 893645

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 07:28

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 07:28
Les, I've seen over 50C with mine, when ambient temperature is in the high 20's with heat generated by continued braking down long twisting declining roads.
Lets face it ambient air temp alone can easily be 40 in the shade, I don't know how you can say never over 35?
No arguement the infa red guns will be more accurate as will an internal monitor fixed to the rim compared to a valve stem sensor, but the internal ones are measuring the rim not tyre temperature
You learn to read differences in temperatures between the tyres, that tells you something is going on when you get a large difference between the tyres
Mark
FollowupID: 893653

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:53

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:53
I have seen temps of 60c on the sunny side of the vehicle with external sensors
tip a bit of water over em that brings it down .
I only take notice of pressure with external sensors ,
My new Patrol has internal sensors std and doesn't show temperature .
FollowupID: 893664

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 10:23

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 10:23
I have the INNOTECHRV 10 SENSOR TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM fitted to my D-Max and Caravan.

Having 10 sensors means I can monitor all road wheels plus the car and van spares.

This units does not need a repeater for the van tyres.

I went for the external sensors as it is much easier to replace batteries and also rotating the tyres, I can leave the sensors in the same location and do not need to re-program the receiver.
AnswerID: 621107

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 19:48

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 19:48
I currently have a Davies Craig set and find it works well and easy to change set pressures etc, good unit. Had a tyredog set previously worked well but less easy to program and then it died, but did maybe 5 years.
My vote is for the Davies Craig.
Cheers
AnswerID: 621120

Reply By: b1b - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 21:08

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 21:08
Thanks to everybody for their input. I wanted an external monitoring system so that I can easily swap from my ute to the warden's car in the hope that if she gets a puncture, she may pull over and get the RAA to help out rather than ruin a rim and tyre. The Masten was another that I had on my list but have probably decided to go with the Davies Craig as previous experience with some of their products has always been good.
Thanks again - bruce
AnswerID: 621122

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:55

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:55
Im on my 3rd brand after 10 years. There are 4 features I like about the masten. Also sold as sidewinder and Safety Dave.
-If you tow, you can easily add or delete the trailer wheels on the alarm and display.
-You can change per axle alarm pressures fairly easily for on road , off road use.
-you can set the alarm down to 6 psi for sand etc.
-it has good range and automatically turns on and off with movement / vibration.
AnswerID: 621127

Sponsored Links