Supreme Getaway owners

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:41
ThreadID: 137225 Views:3574 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all. I’m after a supreme getaway 12-14 ft. Keen for some info on what to look out for and what they are worth. Also I want to convert one to 4 berth. Has anyone done this. Cheers
Ps if you have one for sale let me know to.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:53

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 20:53
"Also I want to convert one to 4 berth. Has anyone done this."

With great difficulty. Vans are built from the floor up. The furniture is attached to the floor and the wall frames are attached to the furniture from the outside. The outside aluminium skin is then attached to the wall. This makes the existing furniture difficult to remove, particularly if you do not wanting to damage the walls.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 621121

Follow Up By: Luke J3 - Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 21:15

Sunday, Sep 09, 2018 at 21:15
Good to know. Have you got photos of what it looks like.
FollowupID: 893646

Reply By: AlanTH - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:04

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:04
Hi Luke. Before making any final decision on a van, check out the Australian Lemon Caravans and RVs website.
Some real eye openers there on what could be under that pretty skin although I'm not saying Supreme are on their list as I haven't checked lately.
Cheers.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 621125

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:10

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:10
Hi Guys, If this is linked to the face book page of the same name, then I wouldn't trust the Lemon Caravans & RV's Facebook page. Too many false & misleading claims made on this site for it to have any real credibility.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893655

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:28

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:28
False claims by who? I've put my own experiences (all bad) about a van we bought some 8 years ago and the dealer.
No way were they going to do anything about excessive tyre wear after one short trip, pelmets falling off, shoddy curtain material etc. The tyre wear was immediately put down to us abusing the van and curtains to Moths"!
Many such stories of very bad workmanship from some of the high end products produced as well as complete denial by dealers.
Many such stories on repairers websites as well.
Not only have consumers been shunned by dealers/makers, but those bureaucrats employed in every state to "protect" them have ignored them.
I took action through WAs lot and weak they were in their response even to telling me they didn't want to take action against "an icon of the caravan industry". They did though as I don't take that crap from anyone. Then I took further action through the small claims court.
Got what we wanted although replacement curtains came tightly screwed up in a black plastic bag..... either the maker or dealer expressing their displeasure with my attitude. :)
The writings on the wall for the worst ones though as the Feds are apparently carrying out full investigations into their attitudes.
Plus the Lemon Van site owner has been to Canberra at their invitation to put consumers case to them.
And I still suggest anyone thinking of putting their hard earned into a van check the site out.
AlanTH.

FollowupID: 893662

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 19:30

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 19:30
Alan, sorry, I did not say you made any false claims. The Admin. of the Lemon Facebook site has at least three claims for defamation & false claims pending in court.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893666

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2018 at 15:23

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2018 at 15:23
Well, of course!! That is the typical big business response to a small guy's challenge - take them to court and break them before the truth can be revealed and justice done. Just the threat will put most people off, and the big guys play on that.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893970

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:25

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 12:25
Hi Luke J3,
We have got an 11ft. Supreme Getaway (older one), there is a difference in the make after about 1999. There was a change in the way they were made, the older ones were much sturdier. I can't speak for the ones being made now.
When we bought our 2nd, hand one we had the 2 different aged identical vans to choose from and the difference in the quality was clear.
These older models are quite hard to get hold of & quite pricey as they're so good.
Many refer to them as the" old tub type" and ours had been looked after well.
The dealer wanted $ 28,000-00 for it about 8 yrs ago.
We wanted a 14' with shower & toilet but just couldn't afford it.
We've spoken to van makers about adding a shower recess & using a porta potti but were told that it would be too costly even if it were possible. If you wan't to give me your email. I can send you some photos.
Ours isn't for sale . Hubby is doing work on her at the moment to make her a bit more comfy now we're getting older.
There are photos of her on my profile page.
I have heard that you can get them made to the old standard now but that it will really be expensive.
The model of ours was 1995 I think. As solid as a rock, nothing rattles drawers shut solidly . In the models where the make changes, everything rattles, doors don't shut solidly. The market was very competitive at that time.
She has been to Cape York & many rough roads.
I'm not sure how to upload photos to the forum.

Take care, safe travels, Ma.
AnswerID: 621128

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:33

Monday, Sep 10, 2018 at 16:33
Good one Ma. Many stories from satisfied owners of older vans but new ones being banged out as quick as poss. are not to those standards.
I got my own back on the dealer I dealt with by using their wheel cover suitably altered to express my opinion of them.
I did get a threatening letter from their solicitors but ignored it as I wasn't telling lies and when the yard manager said "You've cost us a lot of money" my response was "Good". Never heard another thing from them.
Safe travels.
AlanTH
FollowupID: 893663

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 08:57

Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 08:57
Hi Luke. We have a 1996 15' Supreme Getaway with the side door.
Not for sale, but if you require info please email to bushyx2(at)bigpond(dot)com
Cheers Mike
AnswerID: 621156

Reply By: ianmcoutback - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2018 at 10:02

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2018 at 10:02
Hi Luke I have a 12 footer shower toylet hot water system solar panels can be turned into queen size bed buy dropping dinning table great little kitchen oven four burner gas stove. I have done a lot to this van it now has a tailgait verander over the rear door entry to stop any water getting in when crossing river. It built onto an off road chassis for very tough condition you can drop this from ten feet and not brake anything. Call me 0428380011.
AnswerID: 621453

Sponsored Links