Spinflo Caprice Mk 111 Oven

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 12, 2018 at 14:37
ThreadID: 137241 Views:2568 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Spinflo Caprice stove in my Caravan and the oven will not heat above 130 deg C, would anyone one out there in Caravan land be able to suggest a possible solution, all the hot plates and the grill are ok.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 07:28

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 07:28
Perhaps the temp sensor is positioned wrongly or dropped down near the heat source and the thermostat is getting heat to the dials set temp, but the overall temp is therefore lower.
Being in a van with road shocks it is possible it is the problem.
I found a friends home oven shot the fan forced heat direct from element and straight onto the thermostat bulb. It operated 80 below what the setting was. Soggy sponges.
AnswerID: 621178

Reply By: Puttingdave00 - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 13:49

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 13:49
Thanks for your reply, I will attempt to find the thermostat, but being an Old Electrician I'm not sure how gas is controlled as opposed to electricity
AnswerID: 621188

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 15:36

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 15:36
Dave - I'd suggest replacing your oven thermocouple will cure the problem.

However, some users of this stove have stated that they found the oven wasn't getting enough air to feed the flame properly - and they tested for the problem by inserting a steel skewer in the door gap to assist with the air flow.
If the heat then comes up to the required level, then a lack of airflow is obviously the problem.

Another owner stated the Mk 111 oven vents are inadequate, and they need opening up to improve the air flow.
The oven is apparently vented via "notches" in the oven door seal - and the owner recommended increasing the size of the notches by around 12mm.
Once the vents were enlarged, the owner claimed the "lack of heat" problem was cured.

If you decide the thermocouple is at fault, the service procedure for removal is on Page 55 of the Thetford Cooking Appliances Service Procedures manual, linked below. This manual is in PDF format.

The service procedures for the Mk 111 start at Page 35 of the manual.
You can find the page numbers by holding your mouse over the page size control buttons at the lower right of the webpage.
The thermocouple removal is a pretty simple task, just remember to test any connections with a weak solution of soapy water in a spray bottle, to check for gas leaks.

Thetford Cooking Appliances Service Procedures

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 621189

Reply By: Puttingdave00 - Friday, Sep 14, 2018 at 15:06

Friday, Sep 14, 2018 at 15:06
Thanks Ron, the 1st part of your reply makes a lot of sense and I have heard of this problem from other users, also is the thermocouple the gas equivalent of an electrical thermostat, if that is so I can understand your reply.
Thanks again
Dave
AnswerID: 621215

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 14, 2018 at 15:35

Friday, Sep 14, 2018 at 15:35
Dave - No, a thermocouple is not a thermostat. A thermostat governs the temperature of an appliance.

A gas oven thermocouple is basically a safety switch for the gas supply.
It sits in the flame and shuts off the gas supply if the flame goes out for any reason.

A thermocouple contains a heat-operated switch (usually a simple bi-metallic switch) that keeps the gas supply open when it's being heated.
If it cools off substantially, the bi-metallic switch closes, and shuts off the gas supply, preventing gas explosions.

A thermocouple can be damaged, or fail internally, and not function properly. Usually when a thermocouple fails, the gas burner won't stay lit.

A thermocouple can simply become faulty and restrict the gas flow, so the flow doesn't reach the designated flow rate.
The gas supply line to the thermocouple can become damaged too - something else to check on.

Another thing to look for, is whether there is some other physical restriction in the gas flow, that would stop the burner from reaching its full heat capacity.

Gas lines can become kinked or squashed - and the old mud-dauber wasps are a notorious enemy of gas systems, blocking or restricting them - where a line has been left open, even just for a short time.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 893742

Sponsored Links