Isuzu D max long range fuel tank

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 07:33
ThreadID: 137245 Views:8837 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Looking at putting a long range fuel tank 130 litre in to Dmax has anybody had any trouble in the bush with these tanks as I have heard the tank is 1..5 inch below the chassis rail?

Cheers
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 07:54

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 07:54
I have the 139L Long Range Tank that was supplied and fitted by TJM, don't recall it hanging down any lower than anything else underneath.
AnswerID: 621179

Follow Up By: Rob M5 - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:40

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:40
Thanks for that a car sales guy told me that they hang down lower
FollowupID: 893705

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:42

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 11:42
Is it a steel tank or plastic tank? There may be some difference in the amount each projects below the chassis. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
If considering such a tank, it maybe worth checking prior to fitment, to what degree the fuel gauge unitl is adjusted to accomodate the additional amount of fuel and subsequent reading from full to empty, ie, the gauge reading every 10 litres. Can be done when initially filled. Perhaps digital photograph the gauge indicator every 10 litres as it is filled,so you have a reference record of what means what.

Most fitters don't seem to bother much with how the fuel gauge and levels relate to each other. It leaves you in the realm of "unknown" until you experience what it does and how it performs.
AnswerID: 621185

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:06

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:06
Every thread I have read regarding a long range tank for a D-Max / M-UX, they all read the same as mine does

It takes about 2-300k before the gauge starts to move and when this happens, the distance to empty also starts counting down. I know I can do at least 1,000k or 550k while towing so it is not really a problem once you get used to it.

If you are really pedantic about it, you can use a Scangauge11 to give you more accurate figures but to me it is not worth the hassle.
FollowupID: 893706

Follow Up By: Tomdej - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 13:07

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 13:07
Fitting and using a scanguage is not a hassle and I find it well worth it.

Not only do you get an accurate distance to empty figure but other vales are displayed that you wouldn't know without it.

I have mine set to show water temp as it is much more accurate than the needle on the dash.

Also, if you ever have your car go into limp mode you can see what the problem is and try to deal with it or at least reset it and see if it re-occurs. This is exactly what your mechanic will do when you finally crawl into the next major town having been way down on power for the last 300kms.
FollowupID: 893707

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 15:58

Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 15:58
It isn't hard for a manufacturer to make a tank which holds the sender in much the same position as OE tank does, and it of course, it then behaves the same as the OE setup once it lowers from above the senders upper reach.
As long as you are happy with NO action for a few hundred KMs and then the gauge begin to drop, then no problem. Most folk just accept it as normal. Tank makers aim at the least trouble and so the large upper non registering of fuel is going to happen.
They could set the arm to read from near the tank top and have it then gradually indicate, as full at/near the 130L, and go down to near empty with a reserve amount as OE, but don't bother.

As long as you know what it all does then, OK. A scan gauge is a good thing for resetting as above, I have one for the function info it provides, but would find it a pain to have to reset it after each fill, so don't use it for fuel monitoring. I can tell from the gauge how much fuel is still in the tank, usually to within a litre.
FollowupID: 893754

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 20:23

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 20:23
I think the lower tank depends on what you want to do with your vehicle.

On my BT50 with a Brown Davis tank that is about an inch or a bit more below the chassis I've found that just touring and mild to moderate 4WDing on tracks it makes no difference at all.

If you're into real rock hopping then it could be an issue.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 621195

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 20:52

Thursday, Sep 13, 2018 at 20:52
I fitted the Frontier (plastic) 130 liter tank to my Dmax Xrunner myself. The fitting instructions were excellent.
This tank has exactly the same ground clearance as the original 70 liter plastic tank.
The frontier tank has no alu protection tray. I made 3 off 2mm thick alu plates that were stuck to the tank underside with high strength Sikaflex. This tank has quite thick walls, I saw on a cross section display at ARB. My alu panels are to smooth the tank's bottom reinforcement channels where 'stuff' could get stuck in.

As mentioned, no adjustment needs to be done to the fuel gauge. The original one is re used. Its quite hard to remove - has a very tight plastic ring. The dash gauge stays at full for a long time then descends pretty much as with the original tank.
AnswerID: 621199

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 07:09

Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 07:09
On the MUX the 112l AutoXtras/ARB long range tank is about level with the side-steps. If those aren't fitted it is lower than other stuff.
Given this and if you have a steel bullbar fitted a lift is a good idea.
AnswerID: 621226

Reply By: Dion - Sunday, Sep 16, 2018 at 22:01

Sunday, Sep 16, 2018 at 22:01
My 2013 D-Max has a 143L Long Ranger (LRA) tank in it. Yes it does protrude below the chassis rails by about 2".
The suspension has been upgraded with OME 300kg packs in the rear as well as the front. The protrusion below the chassis rails hasn't bothered me at all. I previously had a 2005 RA that also had a LRA 129L tank that also protruded below the chassis rails, hence I wasn't to overly concerned with the 2013 D-Max.
AnswerID: 621257

Sponsored Links