Removing tyres

Submitted: Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1373 Views:1892 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Decided to try my new bead breaker etc to remover Bridgestone 265/75/R16s on Alloy Rims. No prior experience. Everything went well easily removed. However am at a loss to refit tyre.Difficulty in fitting 1st bead over rim. Seems excess pressure require to get tyre over rim and am concerned at damage to edge/bead of tyre.Is there a trick to it. Where can I locate instructions for removing/refitting tyres.Glad I tries it first at home then on the track.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ken R - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Decided to do what all sensible 4WDers do. Sat down with a stubbie had a long look at the problem, used my Methodology brain which has been dormant since retirement 2000 and finally worked out a way to do it. The Blue tongue set the bead no problem -all okay.I"m still open to suggestions ,as with everything ,there are tricks to the trade which make thing much more simple.
AnswerID: 4485

Follow Up By: Mikes - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Seems like a beer solved it before my answer was posted. Just pretend my answer was useful anyhow. I reckon a beer can be the solution to most problems

MIkeS
FollowupID: 1917

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Ken,, dead set ,if the problem can,t be solved while having a stubbie or two in the quiet, the problem can not be solved,,,,,for once I aggree with Mike ,,,,, congrats on your 6th grandchild....... Axel + Karen
FollowupID: 1920

Follow Up By: Mikes - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Axel + Karen. You may be mistaking me for Mike. I'm MikeS and we've never disagreed in the past. I think I need to distance myself from this Mike character. Could be time to change my name.
FollowupID: 1924

Reply By: MikeS - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Ken. Well done on saving yourself a lot of agro in the bush. Online advice and if all else fails the local servo are much closer when you try it at home. Have a look at the TyrePliers website at www.tyrepliers.com.au for instructions. I haven't read their online instructions but I assume they are identical to those that come with their excellent product (an unsolicited & unsponsored plug and I don't get any kickbacks!!). There are a couple of tricks to master but the main ones are: work with the inside face of the rim flat on the ground. That is, the face of the rim that you wash everytime you get it muddy should face upward. Use some lubrication around the bead like soap or detergent. The rubber will slide over the rim better rather than gripping on it. Most importantly,make sure that as much of the bead as possible falls into the well in the rim when you are trying to get other parts of the bead over with your tyre levers. When there is no tyre on the rim you will see that there is a deep circumferential channel or dished part closer to the front of the rim than the back. First get as much of the tyre from the "6 o'clock" position, including from about 4 oclock to 8 oclock is pushed over the rim and the 6 o'c. part is sitting in the well by standing on it with one of your heels (Wearing work boots helps, runners don't). Then work your way, 3 o'c. and 9 o'c, 2 o'c and 10 o'c. over the rim with tyre levers making sure that 6 o'c is still held deep in the well. It will get tight between 1 o'c and 11 o'c but keep pressure on 6 o'c with you heel and see if you can also press 5 o'c and 7 o'c into the well with you heels too. If you haven't heard a sound like tearing fabric then you are doing well and the last bit should pop over. IMHO refitting the first bead is the hardest of all. The trick of making sure the bead is in the well makes the other procedures easier too. Who would have thought that a part time job at a servo during student days would be so useful in later life?
Let us know how you go.Cheers

MikeS
AnswerID: 4487

Follow Up By: Ken R - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks a mint Mike. As with child birth, tomorrow will make todays experience fade into oblivium (so my wife recently told my daughter in law upon the birth of our sixth grandchild..her first..) and I will have another go using your suggestions over the weekend. Regards Ken
FollowupID: 1918

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00
Ken R, just another hint once you get the tyre back on the rim and if you have trouble seating it with your compressor grab a ratchet tie down strap and go around the tread portion of the tyre and ratchet up as this will apply pressure to the tyre on the rim by bulging the sidewalls slightly and always remember that soap and water for plenty of lubrication. Stuart
AnswerID: 4501

Sponsored Links