Plenty highway

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 18:26
ThreadID: 137376 Views:3287 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has been across the Plenty Hwy recently and could give me some idea of its condition.

Thanks

JanB3
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:12

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:12
Unless you get some more recent feedback Jan, there was a good thread a little while ago.

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/137039/plenty-highway

I doubt things would have changed too much.
AnswerID: 621696

Reply By: Greg J1 - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:24

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:24
Hi jan. I drove across the plenty 4 weeks ago. I left the Stuart highway intersection at 8 pm and got to Tobermory at 6am. The road was quite an acceptable dirt road. Only a few bad sections west of jervios station. Can’t help you with the Queensland side as I turned north at Tobermory. This was in a loaded triple road train.

I have driven this road quite a few times in light trucks and 4wds, this my first time in a road train. Just like all popular gravelled roads conditions can change weekly.

Seen a few 4wds camped for the night along the road as I rolled past. And yes I was jealous that they were sleeping and I was working !!

Cheers Greg
AnswerID: 621697

Follow Up By: Jan B3 - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 18:15

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 18:15
Heard back from our daughter today. She said the Donahue was pretty decent. The Plenty up to Jervois Station was a bit ordinary. After that it was OK.

Jan
FollowupID: 894332

Reply By: Gerard S - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:32

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:32
We did it 6 weeks ago with a 20'6" off road van.
As above Alice to Tobermorey was generally Ok
It was far worse Tobermorey onwards. Deep bulldust, corrugations, walking speed only over grids as some have drop offs and bulldust pits immediately after them. Smashed one water tank valve despite it being sheilded. Lucky I had
isolated the 3 tanks so only lost one lot of water.
Was pleased to cross it off bucket list. would I do it again....no.
AnswerID: 621698

Follow Up By: Gerard S - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:37

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:37
Spent 3 nights fossicking zircon and garnet at the public area about 6km? down the Binns track...quite successful. Avoided Gemtree camp as they were a bit pricey and had big water restrictions on washing machines,showers etc. Their problems may be solved now? Also, altho not a boozer, I had a great over night camp and hard case company at the Middleton pub.
FollowupID: 894282

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:57

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 19:57
Hi Gerard, Had a night or two at Middleton over the years. Yeah ole Lester is a hardcase alright, but he never forgets a face or a name.

The sort of place that makes Australia so great

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 894285

Reply By: Jan B3 - Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 22:16

Sunday, Oct 21, 2018 at 22:16
Hi Les, Greg and Gerard

Many thanks. Will check out that link, Les. I was asking for our daughter and son-in-law, off on their first major camping trip in quite some time, this time towing a camper trailer with a 4WD. They had heard that conditions weren't too good. I'll pass on your comments.

Jan
AnswerID: 621703

Follow Up By: Jan B3 - Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 15:56

Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 15:56
Have heard from our daughter today. They have spoken to a number of people who have just come across the Plenty, and all report it is in good condition.

Thanks all for your help.

Jan
FollowupID: 894296

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 16:36

Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 16:36
Road condition reports are always subjective.

Good to get that from a number of people though, especially if any of them were towing (in particular medium to larger caravans).
Towing will make a difference, as will volume of traffic on the road, road trains, etc.

But daughter and co will get their own first hand look at it soon I think, be good to find out if it's still slower / care needed in some places with bulldust patches.
It may well have been graded in the past recent month or two.

The most important thing is driving to your own conditions (vehicle, towed camper), and driver experience, as this varies a lot from vehicle to vehicle, and between drivers.

Let us know how they go and what they thought of it.
FollowupID: 894297

Follow Up By: KevinE - Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 20:44

Monday, Oct 22, 2018 at 20:44
We have just done it, Boulia to the Stuart Hwy, 4x4 wagon with tyres way down, towing a hard floor camper. I agree with Les.

We have traveled quite a few gravel roads. No way I'd call the plenty "good" as it is at the moment.

We have "plenty" of photos of the corrugations lol. The bulldust was pretty ordinary too.

There's still not one wayside stop on the entire route either. Very little traffic when we were on it.

FollowupID: 894307

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:05

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:05
"There's still not one wayside stop on the entire route either."

What is your Idea of a wayside stop? Does it have to include flushing dunnies, fuel stations and hamburger shop?

WikiCamps shows over 20 sites suitable for camping, including a handful with caravan parks with facilities and fuel.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 894323

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 15:21

Tuesday, Oct 23, 2018 at 15:21
A wayside is just that, a wayside stop. There are none. My idea of a wayside stop is a bare minimum of a loop off the road where I can park. There are no pull off's at all, not even for Road trains. If Wikicamps shows any wayside stops on that highway, I'm glad I haven't wasted my money buying it.

Seeing as you refer back to Wikicamps, I'm guessing that you've never been out there? It's outback, so you may have a little difficulty comprehending what it's actually like ;)

The flushing dunnies and hamburger shop are all yours! We don't need them.

FollowupID: 894328

Follow Up By: terryt - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:00

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:00
KevinE there are literally scores of places where you can get off the road for a cuppa or a camp. I'm not sure what road you were on.
FollowupID: 894351

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:06

Wednesday, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:06
Hi Kevin, there’s lots of places to stop across the plenty. I ve traveled that road quite a few times as I said earlier. The last time I went across it was night and I saw 2 groups of 4wds camped 30 or 40 metres off the road. I could see the campfire of the first group for ages before I passed by.

I stopped in the middle of the night to make myself a coffee on my small gas stove. I just stopped in the middle of the road. Not as if there is any traffic at 1 am on the plenty.

If you are indeed familiar with traveling the outback you should know that you can pull up virtually anywhere to cook a meal and sleep the night.

I’ve worked and traveled in the bush all my working life and have never been stumped looking a place to camp.

Cheers Greg

Ps. As for the road conditions. I realise 4 weeks can make a huge difference in road conditions and we were in vastly different vehicles but the road surface was quite acceptable to me. Been on a whole lot worse !!!
FollowupID: 894352

Sponsored Links