Prado Grande Height Control Rattle

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 10:44
ThreadID: 137403 Views:2159 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I know this forum is about exploring Oz, but PradoPoint seems to have s#$t itself. Again.
I got a Hayman Reese towbar installed yesterday and now the height control make a very loud rattling when trying to go up.
Could the install have anything to do with the rattle?
The guy was playing with a black bottle looking thing which lives in the rear quater where the wiring was done.
I'm not sure how the height control works, electric or air so cant diagnose it myself.
I'll give them a call either way

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 13:27

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 13:27
There must be an air compressor, electrically operated, to create pressure for the suspension airbags. Not sure why a towbar fitter would be touching that.

Perhaps he has relocated some of the items in the rear quarter and they now don't have their sound insulation .
Does it go up? if not, he has obviously altered or interfered with the OE parts or the position valves.
Again, can't imagine why he would need to touch it. It isn't to do with the towbar. Might be best to get an opinion from somewhere else as the fitter can give you red herrings and bum steers by speaking to you and therefore hiding what the real situation is. Informed about what the problem is, is preferrable to simply trusting them again to make good.

It should all be tested BEFORE leaving their premises and any shortcomings rectified prior to your pickup of the vehicle.
AnswerID: 621851

Reply By: shmick - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 15:06

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 15:06
Turns out due to the install the compresser got a bit to close to a bolt, or should I say a bolt got too close to the compressor. Hence the loud rattle. They fixed it no questions asked. Always good when its something so simple.
AnswerID: 621853

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 17:01

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 17:01
It is also wise to give the installer the opportunity to remedy a problem that appeared following some work they did before going into print.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 894485

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 19:54

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2018 at 19:54
Peter D
He did that, we just alerted him to ways of the trade which happen. However, if the fitter did a thorough check in the first place before ending the job card and was aware of the implications of his actions, it would not have happened in the first place.
FollowupID: 894488

Sponsored Links