WARRUMBUNGLES to (near) BROKEN HILL

Submitted: Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 15:06
ThreadID: 137519 Views:3283 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a (clockwise) trip around the block from Fraser Island, and G/Earth suggests two routes from the W to BH: one basically due west, the other via Walgett & Brewarrina and Cobar ............. and I'm wondering why.

Why, that is, would one choose this route over simply due west - is there much of an attraction in this dog-leg?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 15:58

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 15:58
Well, "due west" from Fraser will put you in Birdsville and would be a "dog-leg" to Broken Hill.
Via Brewarrina or thereabouts would be the more direct route. Just look at a map.

Of course, if you are going from the Warrumbungles as per your Thread heading then yes, due west through Nyngan would take you to B.H.
Don't put too much faith in Mr Google. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622430

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 16:34

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 16:34
I think Google Maps has been told it needs to give you some route options and so it does. It makes sense around the city (sometimes) but comes up with some pretty random stuff out in the country. I don't think there is any scenic value in the other routes it chooses so you can ignore it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622432

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 19:37

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 19:37
^^^^ This.

Google often gives you 2 or even 3 options for route, I usually take the one fastest but sometimes it's nice to do a different route if you've done something several times the same way.

Just punch in all your chosen destinations, and take whatever one you like the look of.
You can zoom in and points of interest will appear.
FollowupID: 895298

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 17:22

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 17:22
I should have been a bit clearer - although I'm starting from FI I've never been to the Warrumbungles and. on the way from FI to the W. I'd like to see the Army / Air Force museum at Oakey (near Moonie, Qld) - hence the non-Birdsville route.

Also, I've been to/through BV 6-7 times so there's nothing new for me there.

I appreciate the help so far, thanks.
AnswerID: 622434

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 22:16

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 22:16
DB,

If you're going out to Oakey to see the Aviation Museum, then it might pay to make your way down to Narrabri afterwards, and visit Mt Kaputar NP just to east/NE of Narrabri. Similar to Warrumbungles, but also so different.

And if your lap takes you to D'town.......oops, sorry, Darwin, then the aviation museum there is a must! Lots of aircraft, all nestled under the wings of a B-52 bomber. They even have a Bell "Cobra", complete with mini gun.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895310

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 18:54

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 18:54
Routing engines require that the path from A to B is "routable" for the mode of transport you have requested (eg. cycling, driving, walking) and some outback roads/tracks are not fully defined with the correct parameters to make them compliant as routable roads so if you try to get a "driven" route it might not be possible the way you expect, despite the "roads" being there. It's just that in databases the road might not be "defined" with a known surface and therefore for safety precautions, routing engines such as google will therefore ignore such routes and provide another route that is "known" to be drivable.

In our app ExplorOz Traveller, if the system cannot build you a route using the "driving" mode of transport, you can often get it to route the way you want if you select another mode of transport that doesn't rely on routable "roads" - eg. Cycling, walking. I often use this control to get routing to go the way I want when building nav plans/private treks. Its a very handy feature.

But yes, there are limitations to auto routing systems because of the known/unknown parameters of each data element so what it thinks is a road has to fit the criteria else it is ignored.

Routing engines certainly don't care if it is going to take you a scenic route or not.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622438

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 19:37

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 19:37
Thanks Michelle,

I do acknowledge the limitations imposed by routing programmes such as G/Maps and I'm only using G/Maps as a start to a more serious look at where I want to go.

And, yes, I do have the EO Traveller and will use that shortly but in THIS first instance I was trying to discern from those who may have travelled in the general area if there was anything "compelling" to make this detour.

I seem to have turned a molehill into a mountain and this was certainly not my intention. Sorry everyone for what appears to have been a poorly-worded general enquiry.
FollowupID: 895299

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:49

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:49
opps! yes I misinterpreted what is was you were asking the "why" about, anyway perhaps the answer is of interest to some. I do get this type of question often so I just went into automatic answering mode :)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895303

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:15

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:15
Either way avoid stopping at Wilcania even if just for fuel.
AnswerID: 622442

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:54

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:54
I recall driving through there many years ago, middle of the day, and nothing moving on the streets, all businesses closed up tight.
Found out later there'd been rather large riot there the day before.

Have never had another issue in the numerous times passing through that way, usually taking a Darling run enroute to Brisvegas.
FollowupID: 895304

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 21:04

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 21:04
Qldcamper

Wilcania has greatly changes and not like it used to be.

It is safe and we stayed there going and returning from our Cape York trip year.

I have no hesitations in staying there again and can recommend it to anyone.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895305

Follow Up By: KevinE - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 21:42

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 21:42
We've stopped at Wilcannia many times & never had ANY problems whatsoever.

We recently stopped there for fuel, before heading up to White Cliffs on our way to Woomera.

We struck no dramas at all & the fuel was cheaper than Adelaide!
FollowupID: 895308

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 23:22

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 23:22
Stopped in at Wilcania for fuel and to empty the chemical toilet at thier dump site about 2 months ago as we did the Darling River run, never had any issues there. For those needing fuel, the BP servo in the back streets of town was heaps cheaper then the others at the time we were there.
FollowupID: 895315

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 07:33

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 07:33
Well good for you lot. I had the miss fortune of owning a car with an 8 gallon fuel tank without the legs to drive through the place and had to stop there 4 times and had a tyre slashed when having a meal the first time then harrassed by the locals whilst trying to change it till the servo owner came out to help. Next time just stopped for fuel and a local opened my passenger side door while i was standing there putting fuel in and a third time with mech trouble thought i was going to get a beating for refusing to give money to a mob of the bastards. Even if the place has gotten a hundred times better ill never even be driving through there again.
FollowupID: 895320

Follow Up By: Member - A J - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 11:27

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 11:27
Camped at Wilcania in the stock reserve on the river many times with not a problem and recently stayed at the caravan park about 3 kms east of the town

Purchased fuel from the BP depot/service station south of the town.
Never had any problems in the town

Spoke recently to a local who advised crime in the town is now every little.

Reputation of the town was set about 30 years ago and they just cannot shake it off

A J
FollowupID: 895328

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:23

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:23
Hi qldcamper

We are not doubting your terrible experience, but how long ago did it happen?

Like I said things have changed and all locals, both black and white would rather that the town be not tarnished with its past bad history.

Some local men from Mintaro, not far from where we live had a situation that would have been tragic more that 15 years ago.

They pulled up in front of the local pub and were going to go in for a few drinks.

There was an Aboriginal man outside the pub and asked them for $20 and he said he would make sure that nothing happened to his Ute and it would stay safe.

The man from Mintaro, then said it’s alright might, I have my own security on the back of my Ute, and pointed to his Blue Heeler.

The smart Aboriginal then said I hope your dog can put a fire out.

With that said, Bob and his mate got back into his Ute and headed for Broken Hill.

Like I said, those bad days are not past history.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895343

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:13

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:13
Yep, pretty much spot on 30 years ago.
FollowupID: 895347

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 21:40

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 21:40
I wish people would cease posting those nasty reports of what happened in the dim dark past. After all, when someone asks of the current road conditions, how many of you report the condition of the road as you found it 20 or 30 years ago? It is utterly stupid to give a report that is that old for road conditions. How less stupid is it to give reports of a town from experiences that old? Reports or a road or town condition are useless unless you have had recent experience.

In the last few years I have camped in Wilcannia, Bourke and Brewarrina. I have spent two or more nights in each. I have also stopped for lunch in Walgett and noticed vans camped in the free camp nearby. I have been welcomed in those towns by the locals.

The aboriginal councils now either run the towns or have a large input. Over the last 5 to 10 years there has been a big change in those towns. They are all worth visiting these days, particularly Brewarrina. The local aboriginal council owns about 80% of the housing, it is mostly in good order. We walked down past the fish traps and talked to the locals about them. We were there on the weekend, the museum only opens during the week so we did not get to see it. However, I believe it is worth viewing. The locals have taken over the old WW2 ammunition bunkers and transformed them into a museum.

Australia is changing, many more of the predominately aboriginal towns are now worth having a look at. If you stop in them for a look and approach the locals with a positive attitude then you will assist those who are wanting to change their town for the better to do so. Knock those chips off your shoulders and come into the 21st century.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895349

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 22:26

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 22:26
We camped at 4 Mile Reserve just outside Brewarrina a few months ago....cracking spot it was by the river, and nobody bothered us at all. We were one of maybe 3 vehicles only staying there that night, read some previous bad reports about the locals, but we had zero issues....i'd definately stay there again
FollowupID: 895350

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 06:58

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 06:58
Nice spot Brewarinna, have never camped there but think I know the reserve from driving through a few times over the past decade, I don't usually go that way Adl to Bne.

If communities can get general alcohol abuse and youth boredom under control, they are 99% of the way to having very pleasant townships, both in safety and general ambiance.
FollowupID: 895355

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 09:34

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 09:34
Let's not sugar coat it!

Wilcannia is a safe place to stop, but a drive through the backstreets on the northern side of town quickly shows that life is a struggle there!
FollowupID: 895357

Follow Up By: tazbaz - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 17:11

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 17:11
The place is "cleaned-up" now and the camping/ caravan park at Warrawong on the Darling 3 K's east is magnificent and should not be missed
FollowupID: 895365

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:26

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:26
Thanks everybody for your help, suggestions etc.

After the Oakey museum I'll go via Mt Kaputar, the Waa Gorge then pretty much "straight" to Little Topar.

Happy Christmas to all.

DickyBeach
AnswerID: 622454

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:33

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:33
We camped the night in Mt Kaputar on the first night of our Darling River Run trip... be aware that Sawn Rocks which is well worth visiting, is in a seperate section of Mt Kaputar National Park to the area you can camp in. Plenty of room in the carpark for caravans or camper trailers at Sawn Rocks, and only a short stroll along a boardwalk to see an amazing rock formation. Caravans however aren't allowed up the mountain where the camp grounds are, but if you are towing a camper like your picture shows, that'll be ok.... but limited areas to set it up in (we towed a hardfloor camper up there). You can tow your camper trailer all the way to Summit Lookout, plenty of room on the loop track to the lookout to leave camper attached to your vehicle. Sawn Rocks is on the road from Inverell to Narrabri about 35klms from Narrabri....you need to go into Narrabri and then head out the other side of town about a similar distance to get to The Plateau / other section of park for camping.
FollowupID: 895348

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:49

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:49
Thanks for that Rumpig, I'll make sure I allow plenty of time for that - looks great !

:)
AnswerID: 622455

Sponsored Links