Hazard flashing on Landcruiser

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 13:17
ThreadID: 137570 Views:8200 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

1999 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Auto

Need some help identifying a hazard flashing problem.
Hazards flash immediately upon opening any door for 30 flashes then stop
Hazards flash again when key is turned to 'ignition' for 30 flashes then stop
Can hear the clicking sound coming from immobiliser

Have changed some fuses, replaced battery and recently replaced starter motor (both battery and starter were dying). Hazard problem persisted consistently before and after these two replacements

I don't know if the problem is the immobiliser itself, bad wiring, wet wires or computer, or an earth somewhere shorting out the computer

Any advice to help identify the problem is really appreciated

Cheers fellas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 13:42

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 13:42
100, 105 or Prado?

Guessing 105. Might be worth asking in Lcool. Lots of 105 immobiliser discussions in that.
The 30 flashes is telling you something useful.
AnswerID: 622695

Follow Up By: Alex M7 - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 14:28

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 14:28
Hey mate, yeah 105 series, Haven't been in LCOOL but will register and give it a shot

Cheers
FollowupID: 895730

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 18:55

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 18:55
The main immobiliser discussions on LCOOL likely revolves around when you suddenly can't start your vehicle due to the immobilizer getting old and failing to work as it should. Main symptom is the vehicle just suddenly doesn't start randomly, usually fine when vehicle is cold, but then you drive to somewhere and jump out and when you jump back in a short while later the vehicle won't fire up. Plenty of mechanics say the pump has to come out to fix the issue, but you can drill the break off bolts out (or even just break open the immobiliser if you are careful) and bypass the immobiliser with it in place on the engine if you know how...something very handy to know when you are thousands of kilometres from home and the immobilizer starts playing up.
Not saying your immobiliser is not your issue, I don't know if it is or isn't, but I do know about the other immobiliser issue after having mine fail and having to bypass it.
FollowupID: 895741

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 15:13

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 15:13
Alex
If either condition causes 30 flashes each time, then it has to be a timer function which is somehow attached to the hazards.
My guess would be, someone has done some electrical work and connected to wiring not knowing what they are causing.
When you unlock the vehicle BUT do not open a door, the immobiliser timer will run for 30 seconds and relock it. You get 30 flashes from a hazard unit which is set at 1 per second, the imobiliser timer IF connected to it will cause 30 flashes each time it is triggered by an electronic pulse. ie, drop in voltage when ignturned ON.
It is always a good idea to check any black wires which have connections to negative under body screws or bolts.
Has someone fitted the new stereo, nav unit or worked on any wiring. Always look at whoever touched it last and what they actually did. To run the hazards ther has to be a definite link or half cut through wire, touching but no short, to provide power to the hazard unit. Look for those horrible scotchloks as they can do amazing things.
AnswerID: 622699

Follow Up By: Alex M7 - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 16:29

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 16:29
I've purchased the car second hand. When I got it the hazards only flashed when the bonnet opened and now its as described above.

The owner before me installed all accessories himself which include:
Spot lights
Electronic rust protection
Lightbar
Amplifier
Custom Speakers
Pioneer aftermarket head unit (which you are leading me to believe to be a possible cause)
HID headlights
Solar Panel
Power to rear drawer accessories and rear / awning lights

Perhaps I could pull the radio fuse and attempt to start the car and see if that eliminates the hazard problem?
FollowupID: 895735

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 17:29

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 17:29
Speakers or head unit may have dodgy wiring. Seeing the wiring to the headunit is near the Hazard wiring and delta switch I would investigate that area. Maybe remove that audio fuse and it might give an indication when there is no power to the area.

The amplifier may have wires there too.
Most of the other items shouldn't cause that effect if wired in conventional ways.

Lightbar and spotlights do use wires which run through the steering column combination switch. It is possible a join or scotchlok has been done on some of the steering column wiring as it uses wires for the indicators and hazards.
FollowupID: 895740

Reply By: Mal58 - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 16:57

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 16:57
I had a 1998 Toyota Prado that developed a similar problem.

I think the 100 series is not too different to the Prado in how it is wired.

It turned out to be due to water ingress down the cable gland above the remote central locking receiver. The remote central locking receiver is located in the left passenger footwell behind the plastic finisher.

The water had entered the remote central locking receiver and damaged the lower section of the circuit board. The damage was obvious when I took the unit out and opened the cover.

A new remote central locking receiver (about $60) fixed the problem along with some additional electrical tape and sealing on the cable gland.

It might be worth checking yours, particularly if a previous owner has done some wiring and run additional cables through the cable gland.

Cheers,
Mal

AnswerID: 622702

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 18:10

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 18:10
Hi Alex
It might have an aftermarket alarm system fitted?
and the alarm siren has either not functioning/faulty or removed?
The hazards flashing is the alarm being activated, but no siren.
Has it it got an aftermarket key fob?
And you have activated the alarm inadvertently , or what is left of an alarm system that is not working or hasn't been removed properly?

Cheers Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622704

Sponsored Links