Caravan covers

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 02:03
ThreadID: 137575 Views:5253 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
what are the pros and cons please of caravan covers , are they worth it , what type etc ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:32

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:32
Nothing beats a shed or carport to protect your van when not in use, but if you can't have that, then a decent cover is an alternative for UV and weather protection. And bird and bat droppings, which can be very corrosive on the finish.

My van lives outside, as most do, I guess. I use a cover from Stormcovers. It provides
the required environmental protection and in addition is padded so it provides protection against hail which, to my cost with another van, I found I needed.

Not cheap, but effective. At 10 years old, mine is now on its last legs but it has served well in that period.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622725

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:43

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 09:43
I have a camper with the same issue. I have bought both expensive and cheap. Expensive works well but generally they break down due to UV - cheap lasts no where near as long but are a lot cheaper and overall are better value for money but you have to replace often but is still cheaper than an expensive one less often.

However I found my optimum solution - cheap or expensive it is the top that fails and always because of UV - the sides on both hold up well.

So I now buy a cheapy that I am reasonably happy with and put it on - I then cover the top with a silver tarp (not one of the blue ones) - these silver tarps (Supercheap) last about 3 years in full sun and cost about $60 - since putting one of these on top I have not had my cheaper cover fail.

Just my experience in a high UV area.
FollowupID: 895761

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 12:51

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 12:51
Thanks to Frank and Garrycool for your comments , have heard they sweat underneath which wouldnt be ideal ??
FollowupID: 895766

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 15:13

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 15:13
Only if you cover the van when it's wet.

But I suppose it depends on the kind of material used. The outer skin on mine is that silver tarp material - totally waterproof. It's not an issue - well, not with mine, anyway.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 895768

Reply By: Darian - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 14:14

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 14:14
You'll see a variety of brands of the lightweight, soft grey fabric covers. I had one for awhile (Prestige). As I see it, they are designed to:
- repel water to an extent
- allow moisture that gets through to breath out efficiently
- be light weight (easy on and off)
- be compact (easy to stow)
My problem was that at 18 months, mine was in the bin ! Poor UV resistance is the killer. As mentioned above, if you can team it with a cheap silver tarp on top, that would be the go (maybe a few pool noodles or similar to seperate the two to allow for air spacing).
This can all be avoided of course by spending big $ on a tough, tailored vinyl cover....I spent even more....on a decent carport (but then...my treasured tug sits in under there too :-).
Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 622728

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 17:54

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 17:54
I fitted a Prestige to my previous van. After 18 months of use it had worn holes and damaged the paint surface where it had slight movement in the wind.

I actually used rope to try and stop any movement but even this did not work.

Unless you can put it under a roof or even a sail I would not waste my money, bugger of a thing to get on and off as well.

Save your money and polish it every 12 months.
FollowupID: 895771

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 21, 2018 at 09:05

Friday, Dec 21, 2018 at 09:05
Is this a bit like putting a cover on your house when you are not at home?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 622740

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Dec 24, 2018 at 07:11

Monday, Dec 24, 2018 at 07:11
Look for a version that has a breathable skirt as otherwise you can get condensation inside.
AnswerID: 622786

Reply By: Kevin oO - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 15:59

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 15:59
Pros: The major benefits is it gives protection against dust, wind, water and harmful UV rays which will not damage your caravan. Its always perfect.

Cons: Costly but effective.

https://www.camec.com.au/shop/awnings-screens-covers-mats/caravan-covers
AnswerID: 623254

Sponsored Links