Diesel Fuel

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 14:36
ThreadID: 137606 Views:5788 Replies:10 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told a lot of different things about diesel fuel but can you store it for any amount of time before it starts to go off?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozi M - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 15:14

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 15:14
The experts will no doubt reply, but in brief, you can store it long enough for any travelling you may be doing but I personally don't like to store it for no particular reason.
From various reports I have read it seems that CRD motors are fuel fussy.
From my limited experiments I find my Prado works best on fresh premium grade dieseI, mine prefers BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex.
AnswerID: 622833

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:11

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:11
I'm no "expert" but doing a search it seems 6 to 12 months most are saying is fine. So you must have tried some old diesel in your Prado to know your vehicle runs better with fresh diesel where did you get the old fuel from and how old was it ? You may want to research premium diesel I did you might find your paying for nothing but if it gives you piece of mind all good.

I would be more inclined to fit a good quality aftermarket filter with water trap especially on a modern diesel.
FollowupID: 895885

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:11

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:11
Batts, Premium Diesel contains an anti foaming agent, "normal" Diesel does not. It also contains a different detergent additive, so you are getting something for the extra cost.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 895899

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 14:09

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 14:09
McLaren, for your extra money, you get an anti foaming agent....it won't make the 4wd run or perform better. Not unless it comes with a higher cetane rating, but I'd doubt it.
FollowupID: 895962

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:06

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:06
Here you go BP ultimate independently tested in the real world.

Lindsay Transport fuel test
FollowupID: 895965

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:34

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:34
Thanks for that link Eagle, I will happily continue to use it when available.
It is interesting that the drivers claim there is a noticeable difference, I also find that.
I believe my Prado runs quieter on BP Ultimate than Vortex and a Lot quieter than on the cheapie brands.
FollowupID: 895966

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:45

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 15:45
The different detergent additive will make your engine run better, and clean & protect the fuel system, independent tests have shown this.

Both BP Ultimate & Caltex Vortex come from the same source refinery, in some terminals, they even come from the same tank. As stated before the difference between "Premium Diesel" and "Standard Diesel" is the additive, this applies to all the major oil companies.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895967

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 20:27

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 20:27
Macca, where I live the only fuel company that uses there own wharf unloading facilities are Puma. Not sure how the others manage the tankers and fuel, but as you said they do mix and match, then add their own little bits of joy to the common fuel.

One thing is BP nominate a cetane rating where others only give a minimum well below BP.

FollowupID: 895985

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 10:04
Hi Eagle, there are two different Cetane numbers that are quoted, one is a Cetane Index, and the other is a Cetane Number. They are different, one is higher than the other, and BP quote the higher number. In actual fact, the Cetane rating of Diesel in Australia is the same no matter which brand you buy. I was the Terminal Operations Manager at one of the Major Distribution Terminals that was a joint venture between Mobil & BP, and I can assure you that the Diesel came out of the same tanks at the Terminal for each company. Even the additives were the same, and while BP quoted a higher Cetane, it was exactly the same as Mobil.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896004

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 11:28
It's a shame the diesel these days makes my old patrol run a lot nosier than it should not providing the adequate lube which I need to add. I've also tried different brands over the yrs and never had any fuel gains with any of them. The old diesels may be down on power but are very good on fuel when compared to the fussy high tech time bombs around these days.
FollowupID: 896009

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 17:36

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 17:36
If wanting to store diesel fuel for a time you would need to add some algae inhibitor so no algae grows in the fuel. I have stored some, years ago, without the inhibitor for around a year and found the algae present blocked the fuel filter on my HJ61 Turbo cruiser in approx 10 minutes after pouring it into the tank. After draining and filling the tank with fresh fuel and some inhibitor, no more problems.
I add some inhibitor to my plastic 50L tank in the Dmax ute because it sometimes doesn't have a high turnover of fuel through it.

I don't think it goes off as such but does grow things if water is present within the fuel molecules.
AnswerID: 622834

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:16

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:16
Algae only grows at the Fuel/Water interface, keep the water out and you won't have a problem. Easier said than done, most storage tanks have a "cone down" floor with a water trap at the bottom so that water can be drawn off from the lowest point in the tank.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895900

Reply By: Member - johnat - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 17:58

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 17:58
Depends on what you mean by "any amount of time". Being a tad pedantic, the wording seems to imply storing at all (even a second is an "amount of time") I suspect what you meant was for a prolonged amount of time, which is a whole other argument.
My old tractor (a 3cyl "grey" imported Kubota) runs happily on old diesel, even with a bit of old olive oil added. I wouldn't dare use that mix in the D-Max (or even in my old Navara) but the tractor is just not at all fussy, thank goodness, because it can go for months without being turned over.
AnswerID: 622835

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 18:05

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 18:05
Few years back, I was on a station where we had a Transtank(like a 40' seatainer) that could store up to 55KL of diesel. The last fuel delivery for the year was usually Nov/Dec, and the next one wouldn't be until March or April. That fuel would be subjected to high temperatures for at least 3 months but we never had any dramas with it going "off".

Algae only grows where the water and diesel meet, so if you can keep water/condensation out, then you won't get any algae.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622836

Follow Up By: john m85 - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 17:26

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 17:26
thanks Bob thats very helpful

FollowupID: 895881

Reply By: Shortie - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 19:18

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 19:18
In mid 2013 I was able to pick up 4 full 44 gallon drums of diesel from a hard rock mine I was working on in QLD, I gave them to my brother who was travelling down to his home in Melbourne, he used 2 of them and stored the rest in his shed out of sun/rain etc, in January 2017 I ended up in Melbourne for Christmas and as he had sold his Landcruiser he re-gifted the 2 full drums back to me, I used them both in my 2004 Prado with no issues or additives, I am unsure how long diesel would actually last when stored or how the two 44 gallon drums would have performed in newer engines but I would certainly have no issues using diesel if it was stored correctly for a few years.
AnswerID: 622837

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 20:03

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 20:03
When we were up FNQ we were told that you get algae in over head diesel fuel tanks in the warmer/ tropix areas by a chap that was having fuel troubles at the time .
I would be a very nervous about what fuel was going in to a current model diesel vehicle

John m 85 could give some more details in regards to his questions. Location , time period would be helpful for people replying .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 622842

Follow Up By: john m85 - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 17:32

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 17:32
Nick b location is Victoria just wonted to no I have about 5 jerry cans in the shed sitting there for about 8 months i have a hj 60 so I think it should be ok to use it up
FollowupID: 895882

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:56

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:56
John, just use it and if you are concerned and have another jerry can, just put a ladies stocking in the funnel and transfer the contents of each jerry into the empty jerry, then into your tank, If there is any algae you will see it in the stocking.

The diesel you have will still give you bang for buck in your engine.
FollowupID: 895888

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 21:25

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 21:25
John , as eagle said ~ just use it as you need it .
I have used fuel like that b4 with no problems . I have used fuel out of an old truck that sat for years and put it in our tractors no problems at all.. (same same hj60)
But the late model vehicle NO way not worth the risk .
late model vehicles don't like moisture & crappy fuel from what i have been told .
happy travels .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 895896

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 21:19

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 21:19
I the southern states some companies vary the fuel from winter to summer. I've seen fuel lines blocked in mainly farm equipment that have been started in winter with summer fuel in the tank
AnswerID: 622843

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 22:13

Thursday, Dec 27, 2018 at 22:13
That's not degradation or algae, Ivan. That's waxing due to low temperatures. Once the fuel warms up, it is a good as it ever was. Cold climate "winter mix" avoids or reduces the problem and is what goes into the bowsers on a seasonal basis, as you have suggested.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895873

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:28

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:28
“Waxing” is often associated with alpine areas, or more colder climates, but I’ve had fuel problems on the Barkly Tablelands, and also in the Channel Country.

During the ‘80’s, we had a number of trips to the Tablelands, building turkeys nests on 3 stations owned by the company I worked for. One year, maybe ‘84 or ‘85, was particularly cold, and early mornings often didn’t go to plan. Our offsider would work the elevating scraper till midnight, and I’d kick on around 4am, but often the machine would need fuel after a couple of hours, and the rotary pump wouldn’t work, because of the wax. And the Cook wasn’t happy when I’d get into bed, with my cold hands..........

This scraper was often reluctant to start in the mornings too, after a night off. The fuel tank was right at the rear of the machine, so there was a long fuel line up to the engine that always blocked up with wax.

One time, some years later, eldest daughter & I were west of the Diamantina, not too far off the Winton-Boulia road, doing some grading. She would follow me along in the Landcruiser, with fuel, swags etc. We camped in a good spot, few Gidgea trees & plenty of firewood, and all went well till daylight.Grader would turn over, but not start! After a few attempts, I resorted to a bucket of water on the fire, and once it was hot, poured it over the injectors, fuel lines and injector pump. Even this didn’t work at the time and we had to wait for the sun to warm everything, about 9.30am. So much for the early start!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895901

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 00:57

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 00:57
The oil companies are your guide as to stored diesel fuel life. Their recommendation is usually no more than 6 to 12 mths in average conditions, involving above ground storage methods.

The way diesel fuel is stored, is the most important factor.

Full containers ensures little chance of condensation forming, which produces water in the fuel.
Sealed storage, under cover, in properly sealed full drums and jerrycans is the best way. Aim for minimal temperature variations.

Be aware that rubber seals on jerrycans and drum bungs, degrade and leak, so check them carefully.
Leaving fuel containers out in the weather is a good recipe to get degraded diesel.
Exposing the fuel to a wide range of temperatures and varying humidity, is also a good way to get degraded diesel.

Underground tanks keep diesel at a pretty constant 15-16 deg, and this style of storage offers the best storage life.
BP reckon diesel fuel will last 5 yrs in underground tanks.

Keeping your tank on your vehicle full, is also a good move to ensure low levels of condensation in your tank or tanks.

Long term diesel storage

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 622844

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:01

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:01
Agreed Ron, storage technique is most important.

Any unsealed container will aspirate with changes in temperature or atmospheric pressure. Each time they 'breathe in' water vapour enters the container then condenses. The condensed water does not exit when the container 'breathes out'. thus the water progressively builds up in the stored diesel.

Underground tanks are least affected by temperature although still subject to atmospheric pressure changes. Such tanks are usually vented to allow pumped removal of the diesel. The less the stored content in a tank, the greater the air space and thus the greater is the aspirating process and by being cooler underground facilitates condensation. Additionally, diesel removal induces moist air into the tank. Service stations that maintain low tank storage levels for operational economic reasons are at greatest risk.

As you say, jerrycans and drums require good seals to eliminate aspiration and keeping vehicle tanks full is good.

This situation is a significant problem in petrochemical tank farms. Tanks cannot be simply sealed because atmospheric pressure changes can collapse tanks. Some were equiped with 'floating roofs' to minimise vapour space and others were sealed and maintained at controlled pressure using product vapour or dry inert gas such as nitrogen.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 895878

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 06:25

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 06:25
I used to be an Engineer for a TV station. Can't remember the quantity but our 60L V16 backup generators had enough fuel in one tank to power the station continuously for a week or so.
As a precaution, every couple of years the fuel would be removed from the tanks and replaced,. A sample was always sent away for testing but there was never anything wrong with it.

Also consider the military. They have a ton of diesel hidden away in bunkers that could be there for years 'just in case'.
AnswerID: 622847

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:51

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:51
Living on a farm 17 K's from Orange I keep a 10 Ltr jerry of Diesel in the shed just in case the old Troopy needs an urgent drink, after a few weeks I put it in and re fill it again .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622867

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:59

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 18:59
Doug, are you still on the radio waves in Orange.
FollowupID: 895889

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 21:10

Friday, Dec 28, 2018 at 21:10
G'day 9900Eagle, no mate, had a dispute with with them over Posters I made on my PC and added them to my Facebook, the Vice Pres' woman didn't like that, said I had to send them to her so they go on the station FBook, , reackon one cant add anything on the personal FB about the station so I told them I quit , I'm looking at another station maybe next year.....anyhow life goes on, have a happy New Year
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895895

Follow Up By: john m85 - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:38

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:38
I have an old hj60 just done 600.000k'S ALSO STILL GOING GOOD
FollowupID: 895920

Sponsored Links