Coopers or BFG

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 20:30
ThreadID: 13762 Views:2194 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well its decision time do i put on the Coopers ST or the BFG A/T the patrol now weighs in at 3.4 fully loaded and ready to go, both tyres are rated at 1500kg the size being 285x75xR16, have spoken to so many people now that one day i think oi will go with the Coopers the next i think i will go with the BFG which i have on now and they have been good, but will the Coopers be better most of the work the Patrol done with the BFG was before it grew to 3.4t and yes it has had its suspension dane and drives and sits like a dream, so it now down to some good slippers for it would love to hear from Patrol owners with sim vechile weight about there tyres and how they have gone we have a long trip coming up 3 months with around 7000k off road work.
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:00

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:00
Hi 10 Para,

I have 285/75 Cooper ST's on my Nissan and previously had 33x10.5 R15 BFG TA KO's on my 80 series. I ran BFG's exclusively on the 80 series for 10 years and they were great. However, the last 6 BFG KO's were non-USA made and I had several problems with them. Thats when I decided to try the Cooper ST's.

I have found the Coopers to be as good, if not better, on-road and much better off-road. I have had then for 17K now and am very happy with the change. But they are noticeably noiser when the window is down on smooth bitumen (but don't really notice if window is up) I tow a 1.6T off-road van and add a fully loaded GU and I would also be very heavily loaded (too scared to put on weigbridge!!!).

I have monitored the wear at 5K intervals and at last rotation they were down to an average 13.5-14.0mm (started 15mm). They have worn very flat (less than 0.5mm variation across the face) and my typical tyre pressure is 35/40 when touring and 35/35 general driving.

I had one issue with the LR tyre when one complete lug tore off, but it was replaced under warranty (15,500kms) with a new tyre. The tyre also had bruising where the lug was torn and was most likely caused by a large rock that did not give. Coopers said to run lower (~30 psi) when offorad as the carcass is very stiff and too high a pressure will not allow the tyre to "mould" around say a rock. Given the bruising on the carcass, I was suprised I got given a new tyre, but they said they stand by their product!!! Could not complain at all about that.

So, while others will have different stories about the great BFG vs Coopers debate, I am happy that I changed camps (just like my Toyota to Nissan change - gotta try for yourself, otherwise its just an opinion!!!)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 63144

Reply By: Poppy - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:06

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:06
Hi Para
I too have a Patrol and I'm on my second set of BFG/ATs.
First set done over 80k and that included at least one trip every year up to the cape
loaded to the hilt and towing offroad camper.
Got a mate with Coopers and he loves them too but give me BFGs anytime
Maybe just flip a coin LOL
Regards Poppy
AnswerID: 63145

Reply By: Member - Ken - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:47

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 21:47
Oooooooooooh-ah! you naughty, naughty boy 10 Para.

Your attempt at utilizing this democratic forum for a sane and lucid discussion about the most passionate of 4WD subjects - similar in priority to some, as politics and religion - is sure to bring the 'tyre ferals' out of their dens.

Best of British luck to you.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 63154

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:08

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:08
G'day 10Para

I have a Patrol with a few accessories also. I've never weighed it fully loaded, but in it's normal, everyday mode it tips the scales @ 3050kg; so I guess it'd be about 3.4t once I load missus and 3 boys plus gear. Not to mention the 1200kg Ultimate Camper (I asked you not to mention that!!! LOL).

Anyway, I haven't had the intestinal fortitude to move up to 285/75's, but have always run 265/75's.

The 1st 9 tyres I bought (from new on day one in October 2000) were BFG A/T's
I still have one as the spare on my camper. They were okay.
I then bought 4 BFG M/Ts to replace the original 4 on the truck (I never used to bother rotating, but will from now on). They were okay too, but once down to about half tread depth they become skittish on wet bitumen......not a great trick at the best of times; even less so with that much weight. They took me to Cape York when near new and a lot of other places too. One finally split on the side from a rupture it sustained on that Cape trip.

So, I've recently bought a set of 5 S/T's. I kept the 3 "good" M/T's as an extra spare on the truck and the 2 on-ground tyres on the camper.

The S/T's are almost a compromise between the A/T and M/T as far as tread pattern is concerned and in the 10,000klm I've done so far, they've proven to be quite okay. I got the 10plys, made in USA. I'm happy with them, but also would've stuck with the BFG's if they'd been a bit cheaper. I was also considering the Goodyear MT/R; but also too many $$$$$.

Just my opinion.

AnswerID: 63159

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:52

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:52
so I guess it'd be about 3.4t once I load missus and 3 boys plus gear.

I think you may suprise yourself with it being lots more than that with 4 people on and campin gear and a trailer on the ass end.
FollowupID: 324533

Reply By: tour boy - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:27

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:27
I've got cooper A/Ts on the front of my sahara and after 70km of corrugations they were cut to pieces whereas the Kuhmo's in the rear and even the crappy korean tyres on the boat trailer wern't. Don't know if this is the norm for coopers or not. Had a mate who had new cooper M/Ts and went to the kimberlys sustaining 10 punctures in 4 weeks where the other vehicles in his convoy sustained only the odd puncture, some got none. They were cut to pieces and had to be replaced when he got home( very p!##$d off.)
I've had plenty of sets of BFG muds and if rotaded frequently no dramas.
had a set of dueller M/Ts when 1/2 worn they required tubes as they kept leaking thru the tread (micro cracks). I think that the heat from the NT at xmas time caused the rubber to perish.
Regards
dave
AnswerID: 63192

Reply By: Member - Mark S (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:50

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:50
before you get too carried away it may pay to wait for a while as cooper are introducing a new compound into the s/t range - something to do with the 'softening' of the compound to stop the lugs ripping off - also a new m/t is on the way - according to the info from cooper the s/t is a 'soft' mud tyre and not to be used for a/t applications - that's their excuse anyway - as for mine well my desert duelers have served me well for many years and the price seems ok - then again it doesn't get too much bitumen driving these days so just maybe there's a lesson there somewhere. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 63201

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:25
I always thought that Desert Duelers were a bit of a try hard show pony tyre... That was until I bought the surf which had them on it. Probally had about 75% tread, so I kept them. But I tell you what, have been so damn impressed with them, on and off road, very good tyre. They are a little noisy on the bitumen, but hey it is a 4by, so I guess we can just ignore that. And if noise is the worst thing I can comment on, then hey that's pretty cool really. Seem to be wearing very evenly, have done heaps of bitumen, and a good varity of offroad work, and I have never experienced traction in the gravel like these tryes have given me. (mind you it's hard to compare as I havn't had any other type on this vehicle so it could just be a good truck! LOL)
FollowupID: 324507

Reply By: gonebush - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 15:30
I've had my 305x70x16 Cooper STs for 35,000 kms and am very happy with them. They have proven to be quite superior to the BFG ATs in the mud and wet roads. Some minor chipping on the occasional lug but to be expected with what they have to contend with. Wear is very good.

I understand that the chipping resistant ST (C) tyres are/will only be available in the 265 size.

On another note I am surprised that people run their vehicles well above the manufacturers GVM and also disclose that. Insurance would be void and if you were to have an accident with someone else then they could sue you personally for everything you have. Worth the risk?

Larry
AnswerID: 63247

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:02
there is no direct answer to this, as you will see in the trillion previous threads on this subject, some love BFG no matter what, others love Coopers no matter what.

Others have mates of neighbours friends cousins uncles aunts great great great grandsons stepsisters mum had issues with coopers, and you will find others have mates of neighbours friends cousins uncles aunts great great great grandsons stepsisters mum had issues with BFGs.

You are seeing it in tihs thread already!

PP for me is Coopers, but then I would go MTR's over either.

YMMV
AnswerID: 63260

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:30
Thanks Guy's
for the info and opinion it is good just to stand back for a day and see what comes in have gone with the BFG of course that is not to say that i was not swayed but for my needs the BFG will do the trick as i said have run them now for about 25k but only in 275/70/R16 not in 285/75/R16 and do really need that size to get the 1500kg load, so what swayed me well this trip will be up notrh ogf the Alice most of the time, however when i get back in Sept will then put copper STT on the Patrol and will e going down south and then to NZ so that is that it is done the BFG go on Thursday am, when i change to the STT i will be leaving the BFG on the CT as they will be the same size and will have 1 spare on the CT. In regard to the weight i really did load up the Patrol to get the 3.4 with 245l fuel and everything else so that is the most it will ever carry and for only ever until the fuel runs down not many places that i will need to carry that much fuel and when i do there will not be many other vechiles around i hope, also have got the right suspension for the weight Nissan say that with Std Sus 3000k i am 3400k i note that Nissan also say that the Tare weight is 2395 and that 7 people and their bags should only come to 605k seen a lot of Patrols on the highway with more than that, beside that all my weight is low down.
Anyway could ramble on thanks again for all the info and see ya on the road some time
Regards
AnswerID: 63268

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:10

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:10

I have a GU Patrol and replaced the original Bridgestones with Cooper A/T's. I didn't like them for a few reasons and brought my concerns to the attention of Cooper who were very good. To cut a long story short I put the S/T's on they are so much better it's a joke. I am very happy with the S/T's, they ride better and feel better under steering conditions. I would have thought it the other way but that's my experience anyway. Only down side is S/T's make a bit of road noise in 40 - 70 odd k/ph range but you would have to expect that from such a tyre.

I certainly recommend the S/T

Never had BFG so can't comment.

cheers
AnswerID: 63298

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 17:24

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 17:24
Thanks again guy's & gal's 9 BFG 285/75/R16 fitted and dusted ready to go, still got a couple of things to do but looks like we will make yhe depature dae of the 1st July.
AnswerID: 63611

Sponsored Links