GPS

Submitted: Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:03
ThreadID: 13765 Views:1999 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all
At the moment I have a Garmin plus11 gps and use oziexplorer software.
I am thinking of updating to a Garmin V or Garmin 60c. Does anyone use any
of these or got any thoughts on them.
Cheers brian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 22:11
hiya Brian, cant comment on those GPS's, however i do have the Geko 201.
i can up/download from ozi on my home pc . i havent used it in a mobile situation with a laptop( maunly cuz i don't have one :) )
anyhow, this little green geko seems to suit us fine with the features it has, was reasonably priced, and means i don't do big figure 8's in the bush anymore.
just an alternative i suppose that you may wish to look at.

rick.
AnswerID: 63160

Reply By: Spanner - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 23:41

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 23:41
Havn't had much to do with the Garmin V but I have played a bit with a 60c with metro guide Australia. Very nice. I have a 176c which is a nice unit too. All will work with Oziexplorer, and the later development versions of Ozi will support USB. Of course the 60c has both serial and USB ports so it will work with any version of Ozi. For pricing you could try this site http://www.ja-gps.com.au/

Hope this helps, Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 63177

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:15

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:15
Might be a silly question, but I have a Garmin +II also and run Ozi, why would you need to update the GPS as Ozi is going to be the same either way, I find the Garmin has unreal reception and accuracy and has the bonus of unclipping and being small and robust to carry with you on bush walks?.
AnswerID: 63210

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 12:51

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 12:51
Hi Jeff,

That depends on how you are prepared to use Ozi.

If you have it running on a laptop and don't mind it living on the passengers seat (or cabin mount) then any NMEA compatible gps will do.

If you want Ozi as a stay at home, on the desk top planning tool, then you need a gps with the capacity to carry all of that data away with you.

I tend to use my set up in the latter arrangement, but usualy have the laptop available if my trip plan goes pair shaped. It's one of the beauties of OziExplorer. It doesn't make any assumptions about how you're set up or how you want to use it. It will still support your GPS and navigation needs.
FollowupID: 324515

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:02

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:02
Yep, fair enough Pluto, as said "Might be a silly question". LOL
PS Hope all is well over there! Don't work too hard!
FollowupID: 324516

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:07
Hi Jeff
and pluto The plus 11 does all I want it is just a car gps we have
2x e-trex gps for when we stray away from our car. We go prospecting
and drive into the bush, use oziexplorer to see our way and mark our track,
also save points.the plus 11 only has 1024 points memorey the
60c has 10000. I just though that might be better. I swap my waypoints
and tracks and other events to my desk computer when we get back home. Download from the laptop to gps then gps to computer.
It was just an idea I have.
thanks for your say
brian
FollowupID: 324557

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 14:41

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 14:41
Brian,

Sounds like we use our systems in similar ways. The 10,000 track points probably isnt as important as how many tracks you can save. I think the 60c can store 20.

Another point to consider. A saved track can only hold 500 points. When saving the active track, the GPS strips what it considers to be the least significant points to be able to store the track into 1/20th of the space.

I use an Etrex Summit which has 2000 points in the active track and 500 in the saved tracks. I have not noticed a significant reduction in the track detail, but the Summit is only stripping up to 3 from every 4 points, not 19 from every 20.

Pluto

PS Not working too hard yet, Jeff... Maybe next week. ;-)
FollowupID: 324676

Reply By: Nicholas from OctaPC - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:23

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 05:23
Updating the GPSIIplus would not add any benefit to what you already have unless you want the GPSV/60C to eliminate the laptop. This is assuming you are not considering using the GPSV/60C independantly for mapping use. The GPSV is discontinued, therefore, you need to consider the risk of buying a unit that is already out of date. The basemap in any GPS is substandard and you will need to buy a map for it. However, don't consider the Garmin if you want outback maps, only Magellan have maps that cover the inner desert areas. We have setup a Q&A on http://www.octapc.com that will give you further details. Q&A tab at the top.
AnswerID: 63694

Sponsored Links