Place Comment: Fenced off area for Air Strip

Submitted: Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 06:41
ThreadID: 137709 Views:3694 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Dirty great big gold mine there would be the reason for that (Tropicana)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:08

Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:08
downhilly
Is there really a place called "Fenced off area for Air Strip"? Funny name!

What does this comment mean?
Where is it?
Which mine is involved?

Please Explain.

AnswerID: 623392

Follow Up By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:36

Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:36
Click on the link under "related pages", found beneath the responses to this post. Comments under places are automatically added to the forum as a new post.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896578

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 13:13

Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 13:13
Thanks Graeme.
I understand clicking on the panel brings up related info.
It just seems a strange way of working to have some wording which means nothing much at all to anybody, stated in the opening line. Not what it is,, where it is, or any clue at all.
It means you have to click and open something to read it, to know if you want to click and read or are interested in that particular place. Some places are interesting to find out about.
I suppose, as long as everyone accepts the same protocol of not knowing what is going to be shown, then no problem.
I have seen the same happen a few times before, sometimes it alerts to the place/content, other times it is odd.

Cheers
RMD
FollowupID: 896584

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 15:53

Friday, Jan 25, 2019 at 15:53
“Place Comment:

That is the bit that tells you that the thread is a Comment about a place listed in the Exploroz database.

“Fenced off area for Airstrip” is the place as it is listed in the ExplorOz database by whoever added the place entry.

It actually makes sense to people who use the “Other Functions” of the site rather than just the forum pages.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 896587

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 15:46

Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 15:46
I have to agree with RMD (not often I do that, the old grump), that the post by downhilly is quite uninformative.

Airstrips are fenced off for 2 reasons - to either ensure a secure area on the "airside" operational zone - or in the more remote areas, to ensure straying stock and wildlife can't walk/run/hop onto the airstrip, right as you're taking off or landing - which can be quite disastrous, as the ATSB accident reports will tell you.

Minesites are also obliged to be fenced off by the leaseholder, under W.A. Mining Laws.
This law is not always enforced to the letter, due to abandoned mines, leaseholders surrendering their leases, and companies being liquidated.

It would be helpful to put in the Place comments, more information regarding the fence, whether it poses a hazard, whether it's protecting a hazard - and anything else a new arrival to the Place, would want to know, to be fully informed.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623416

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 18:19

Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 18:19
Hi downhilly

Have you actually been there to see if there is an actual mine site there?

Why I am interested is because when we were in those parts of the woods a good number of years ago, the actual Tropicana Gold mine was quite some distance north.

The image on the places pages does related to the southern boundary of the very large fenced off area to exclude all large native animals away from the actual airstrip and surrounding area, with camels being the major culprit. The actual fence was very well constructed, and had a good number of small solar panels in place along the outer perimeter to keep the fence electrified, to keep everything from dingos, Kangaroos and the large feral camels out. The last thing that any pilot would want to see while coming in to land is a group of camels on the airstrip.

When we were there, we did meet a geologist that was taking core sample for gold and he was telling us about the actual mine that was being constructed, well north of the fence in question.

I know that mining interests do change and if you have actually been the site in the image in question?

I would like to hear your reply.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623421

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 21:17

Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 21:17
Stephen, things have changed a little at the Tropicana Airstrip since you were there last.

A new, large-jet-capable, fully sealed airstrip was completed at Tropicana in mid-2012, at a cost of $14M.

Tropicana airstrip project - WATPAC

Even Google satellite view is a little behind the 8-ball ...

Tropicana Mine and airstrip - Google Maps

Another $7M fully sealed airstrip is nearly completed at the Carosue Dam project, adjoining Lake Rebecca.
The Shire of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is not happy about the latter project, it's too close to Kal, and potentially taking income away from the Kalgoorlie-Boulder airport.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 896612

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 22:28

Saturday, Jan 26, 2019 at 22:28
Hi Ron

Thanks for the update, that is greatly appreciated as shows how things change out in the desert.

One thing though, is the airstrip in the same place as the one that I have the images of, or in a complete new location?

This gets back to the question that I have asked downhilly, or is that the site now. Of a new mine.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896614

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 00:53

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 00:53
Stephen - The new Tropicana airstrip has been built directly to the North of the Tropicana open pit, about 4km NE of the Tropicana Mine accommodation village.

The old airstrip remains as it was, it's located under the "Plumridge Lakes" text on Google Maps.

I didn't pick up the location of the new airstrip from the aerial shot in my previous post, because I was in a bit of a hurry to go and watch fireworks.

Precise location of the new sealed airstrip is 29°11'12.0"S, 124°33'00.0"E.

Click on the Google Maps page expansion button in the link below, to bring the map page to full screen size, then drag the map a small distance to the NW, and you can then see both airstrips.

Airport information - ICAO - YTRA

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 896615

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 08:02

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 08:02
Thanks again Ron, and answers the original question, in which downhilly claims the old airstrip is now the mine site, which is incorrect.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896618

Sponsored Links