**STOLEN**. Iridium Extreme Sat Phone

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 18:34
ThreadID: 137721 Views:3602 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Last night, some (not so nice) person, broke into my car parked out the front of my house, rifled through everything and found my Sat Phone which was in the console of my car. (bugger for having left it there....).

It is a Telstra Grab n Go kit in an orange Pelican case with all the accessories.

I have blocked the SIM and informed Iridium (USA) who will hopefully block the EMEI on the network and inform me of someone trying to log on.

Police have been notified and report made. I'm also searching around the Melbourne Pawn shops for info during the week.

If anyone 'suspects' anything or is offered a cheap sat phone, please PM me so that I can respond appropriately.

Thanks all......

Cheers,

Mark

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 19:33

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 19:33
Mark. Telstra can track mobile phones using the EMEI number. It may be worth while asking if they can track a sat phone.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623445

Follow Up By: Mark E4 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 20:43

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 20:43
Thanks. My phonemail to Telstra was less than 'wonderful'. Trying to explain the situation to the overseas call-taker was an experience. All they've done so far is to put a temporary block on the SIM card. I will follow-up in the morning.
FollowupID: 896641

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 19:55

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 19:55
Mark, that's a bugger.
Now, I'm not being picky, but it is "IEMI" and you may find this link useful.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623446

Follow Up By: Mark E4 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 20:45

Sunday, Jan 27, 2019 at 20:45
Thanks Alan. Had a look and the "IEMI" number is currently unblocked, but as they say, it an be a couple of days to update the website. I'll keep an eye on it...

Cheers,

Mark

FollowupID: 896642

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 11:46

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 11:46
I think you will find it is "IMEI"
FollowupID: 896930

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:35

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:35
Zippo, I'm glad that someone knows what they are talking about. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896933

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:08

Monday, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:08
Hi Mark,

Have you checked Gumtree & Ebay?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623466

Follow Up By: Mark E4 - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 12:32

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 12:32
Yes and will continue to do so for some time into the future.... Would LOVE to catch the buggers.....!!!

Cheers,

Mark

FollowupID: 896819

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 15:01

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 15:01
Mark, just use Google to regularly search for "used Iridium Satphone", and go through at least 5 pages of the Google page hits.
Google will pick up ads everywhere, and if the phone has been advertised, it will appear.

I found out the power of Google search about 15-16 yrs ago, and it's a mind-boggling story.
I was frequenting the tractor and earthmover forums a lot in those days, and of course, they were all American based.

One bloke from a U.S. Southern state, appeared with a new post, telling us about a Case backhoe he'd just had stolen from him - and asking for help in finding it.
We quizzed him on his location, and I got the backhoe serial number off him - and started a Google search.

Lo and behold, just a week or 10 days later, I got a Google search hit for an identical model backhoe for sale, with the serial number quoted. It was for sale in the next State.
I looked at the serial number and it was immediately glaringly obvious to me that the serial number of the backhoe I found advertised, was only one digit different to the backhoe that had been reported stolen.

What was ever more glaring was the number in the S/N that was different, was one that could be easily changed to the one being advertised - I recall the number was a "6" on the stolen machine, and an "8" on the machine being advertised - and it takes little to change a "6" to an '"8".

I got onto the forum and told the bloke to get moving and get a look at the backhoe I found advertised.
He did so - and he came back a day later, and said, "You were spot on!! It was my backhoe! We got the Police and FBI onto the seller - and they busted a gang regularly stealing earthmovers!!"

He was blown away by how I'd found his backhoe just with a Google search, and some quick figuring behind my reasoning for pinpointing the machine.

Unfortunately, a lot of stolen smaller items of equipment end up getting flogged in pubs and clubs, without being advertised.

A lot of people have low morals when it comes to acquiring an expensive item for a fraction of its price - and pawn shops are right up there.

And eBay is also the greatest theft facilitation setup around - no face-to-face contact, anonymity can be arranged, false ID's and addresses generated, and the police struggle to track down fraudulent eBay sales.

A couple of W.A. Wheatbelt hoods were just nailed by local farmers, stealing a vast array of equipment from local farms. They were utilising a drone to suss out items to steal.
They were gathering it up, and hiding it in "stash sites" in bush reserves - and hitting places when they reckoned they knew people would be away on holidays.

However, they failed to do their homework properly, and starting thieving off one "unattended" farm - but that farmer had changed his Christmas plans, and stayed home instead.

He spotted one of his trucks moving when it shouldn't be, and the end result was a quick roundup of armed neighbours - a chase that ended up with one thief being cornered at gunpoint by farmers - and a couple of thieves that should be thanking their lucky stars they weren't drilled full of holes, and their carcasses left to rot.

Police and detectives converged on the area from several police stations, and a farmer nailed another bloke sleeping in a truck loaded with stolen goods, in the bush.
The thieves have been hit with 43 charges for stolen property value running to more than $250,000.

Unfortunately, the thieving had been going on for quite some time, and the cops tracked down quite a number of items that had already been sold on eBay.

Pingaring farms crime spree

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623600

Sponsored Links