HX1 Yes or no

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:55
ThreadID: 137745 Views:12045 Replies:8 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of purchasing a Hema HX1.( I'm currently using a 7inch Garmin.)
I've read many PROs and CONs on this forum over the past 2 years re the HX1. Have the problems been sorted by Hema??, I'm thinking of the heat issue that appeared to be a bug in the system. Are there any other issues to consider. I think that in general the hema product is pretty good otherwise

Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:46

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:46
I'd like to know myself as the mate I travel with went through 2 of them last year and then gave up on them and got a refund
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623552

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 14:28

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 14:28
Yes RobM that's what concerns me. Seems the HN7 was the Pee. all with good maps and I believe you can install EOTOPO map system to it
FollowupID: 896772

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 15:03

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 15:03
No you most certainly cannot install EOTopo maps into a Hema HX1 (which is a locked Android tablet that restricts all internet use other than to the Hema cloud).

HN7 is the only Hema product that you can install EOTopo maps onto.

If you want to use EOTopo maps on a tablet the best option is to get our GPS/Navigation app - ExplorOz Traveller and put it onto any other good quality tablet that you can use for all your general internet use as well.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896773

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:39

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:39
Well there you go Michelle, typical statement from a Garmin user.
Jeff
FollowupID: 896785

Follow Up By: "Simba" - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 19:33

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 19:33
I too have been looking at both Hema X1 and EO - comments are interesting originally I checked out the reviews of Hema X1 which were not too complimentary
but having attended the 4WD exhibition in Perth last year I was assured by Hema that "all was well"???
I require good off road mapping (would be useful to have street mapping as well - save using my iPhone - I'm primarily an Apple man)
I've been struggling to compare the maps/systems of Hema and EO with regard to scale of maps/requirements of systems etc etc - its all a bit confusing
I thought the Hema X1 would be the answer - one bit of hardware/software, both road and off road mapping and as the console/windscreen space is limited in my HZJ75 Landcruiser the Hema X1, at 7", would be easier to mount and the cost of purchasing an Hema X1 is cheaper than a new iPad which I would struggle to "mount"
I also understood the Hema X1 came pre-programmed with maps downloaded etc
and that I could add EO as a further download if after researching I learned that EOTopo was superior and more current to the Hema maps?
thanks to Michelle's reply I now discover this is not an option
I like the look of EO & the tracking/messaging link which I understand would do away with the need for a separate PLB
so I suppose I need opinions on the mapping/operating requirements/systems and
suitable tablets/mounts (all in layman's terms) if I were to consider EO - Hema X! maybe not looking so good??
any advice would be appreciated, thank you "Simba"
FollowupID: 896803

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 19:42

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 19:42
HI Simba,
Just to clarify a few things you mention you liked about the Hema solution, which are also included in the ExplorOz Traveller solution - the streets mapping is included with the topo mapping. Even when only using our topo offline map in the app, all the street level data is included. And further more, all the roads data shown at 18K in our EOTopo online is included at Level 13 so that when you view the offline map sheets at 144K the roads are all still there - we've merged the roads data together with the topo data. the larger your screen the better to view them of course as you are still a little restricted by resolution.

Finally, I would not suggest that our app can replace the use of a PLB. That is a safety device that is unreplaceble by a tracking system.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896804

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 17:29

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 17:29
Hey Michelle....

Just regarding your EO Topo Maps and street mapping... Currently I use a range of systems but my main one that I use is the Gamin Topo Maps on my Garmin Montana 650T GPS. To date I haven't found much that comes close in the way of zooming right in vs zooming out. That is no pixelation/resolution issues but one problem I'm finding now as I get older is simply the small screen size and being able to easily read it. I would something that operates similar to my setup now but also has a larger screen.
I've tried the OZTopo map App on ios and believe this has a lot of short comings to the point that if I had my time over again, I would have been better off spending my money else where.
The HEMA HX1 again I don't like simply because u have to download the maps of where u want to go before u head off. To me this is PITA and a problem too, especially if u cannot go where u had planned and have to re-route a completely different direction. The reliability thing too is a big problem.... so I'm looking at other systems like EO and Ozi and even the Hema App version.
How does EO go for zooming in/out for clarity and in regards to the off the beaten tracks - how does EO go in this area?

I'm also using a app called Pocket Earth on the ios platform and to honest it shows more remote tracks than some of the mainstream GPS's but I've only got this on my phone atm and I prefer a dedicated version perminently mounted in the car.
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896844

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 20:03

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 20:03
Hi Rob

I think you have been given a real “bum steer” about the HX1 and the maps.

The unit comes pre loaded with the usual great Hema maps , that include the Hema 1:150 map, Great Desert Tracks series, Cape York, the Kimberley, Victorian High Country and Fraser Island that can be zoomed in to a very high level. It is only if you want even far greater detail that you can then download the area that you want more detailed maps for.

These detailed download are classed as tiles, the greater detail the more tiles that you will download...for free.

So for general travelling, touring and outback travel there is no need to download the extra more detailed tiles.

If you are driving around built up areas, it is a simple matter of going to the drive screen which offer up to date mapping complete with over 40,000 verified points of interest, caravan parks lookouts etc

You will hear both bad and good about the HX1, but if you are looking for an all round unit that covers the best street mapping through to the outback touring , then all you do is unbox the HX1, go online to check for any free updates and then you are ready to hit the road.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896847

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 21:28

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 21:28
Hey Steve,
I have used the HX1 and as I've said before the mate that I travel with has had 2 and when comparing tracks between my Garmin Topo and his HX1, it was a no brainer. The HX1 had little to none of the tracks that we were doing. Sure, if u are doing the normal tracks or common tracks then yes, the HX1 will have them. Seeing my mate go through 2 of them and then give up on them and buy a Garmin sort of told me to stay away. I don't like having to always download more detailed maps when u go travelling / exploring afar and locally. Unless they change the way it operates and reliability issues, it will not be my radar to buy....
My Gamin Topo has heaps of tracks, even to the point that it can get u in trouble if u are not aware (ie: Some tracks shown don't actually exist on site), but I prefer this over not having enough. I like exploring and going down those less explored tracks and this is where the Garmin comes or can come into play....
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896851

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 09:39

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 09:39
Garmin Topo maps are their normal maps that they use for their normal road maps with topo information overlaid over their normal maps. I use Garmin and the road/track information on their topo vs normal maps is the same it is just that the normal road maps are stripped of most topo information where with the topo maps all the information is there.
FollowupID: 896856

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 13:00

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 13:00
Hey Garry,

I'm not sure that is correct. There is Garmin Topo and then there is Garmin Topo Lite. These are different. The one I have has more tracks than my normal Garmin Street GPS maps
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896866

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 14:32

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 14:32
I have no idea about Garmin Topo Lite as I have never heard of it, but on my Garmin I have the normal turn by turn street maps loaded in the unit and I have the topo version on a sd card in the sd slot. At the boot stage I can tell the system which map version to boot from.

In use in the west of Canberra and in other outback areas the actual roads and tracks are exactly the same the only difference being far better topo information on the Topo version.

While the Garmin road maps are pretty good and have most tracks they are not as good as the Hema maps I also use, noting Hema are really just updated Geo Science topo maps.
FollowupID: 896869

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 14:41

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 14:41
Hey RobM, sorry about the delay in my response (weekend busy). I understand what you are referring to. The Garmin unit and some other mapping systems such as Google maps etc, uses VECTOR mapping - this is a different way of presenting maps to what is used with RASTER maps.

One of the biggest issues presented to map publishers and mapping device manufacturers is how to install and store the massive map file data. Vector is a great format for this, but has limitations as it is a closed source file format. Raster is an open source format but has limitations with quality.

All maps require a mapping engine/system to read/display the map data. Operating systems that are open source like Windows, Android allow you to install raster mapping software and programs like OziExplorer , Track Ranger were built for this reason.

Garmin however is a closed source system built to only use the Vector mapping system for which you cannot install the raster maps. If you want a Garmin unit you use their system and their maps.

However Vector is a clever mapping system and as technology has rapidly evolved, map publishers like ourselves want to work in a vector environment.

Our app ExplorOz Traveller is built similar to how you see our EOTopo online map system - which appears to be a vector system but in fact is a tiled raster zoom system. In the next few months EOTopo online will be going Vector and soon thereafter we can attempt to produce ExplorOz Traveller Vector.

For now, when you view an odd numbered zoom level in our app, you will see a raster map at 100%. The 144K scale raster tile is shown at Level 13. If you view an even numbered zoom level in our app you will see an enlargement of that same scale map - and because it is raster, it will have a little bit of blur because that's what happens when you overzoom a raster image. So level 14 is showing Level 13 raster data but enlarged (for obvious reason this has some advantages). We are at the limit of what raster can do in an offline system on a mobile device - with file storage of 5.8GB of map data required to run our app. Once we go to Vector, this will be reduced and we will be able to deliver the full extent of our master map data/or what is practical - we expect to deliver 2K data to the app. But that is the future we are talking about now and not what it is now.

But that helps explain the difference between Vector and Raster hopefully.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896870

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 14:31

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 14:31
Thanks Michelle...

I assume when u change over to Vector mapping that the level of detail will remain the same as it is now or will there be more detail (ie: more tracks, info)?

I've compared maps from Hema-EO-Garmin Topo in the area where I go/been exploring and purely for track detail, the garmin still shows more tracks in the areas that I explore, but the EO to my surprise is not too bad. The Hema still way behind when it comes to minor tracks...
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896883

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 14:40

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 14:40
Hi Rob,
Vector offers the ability to compact a lot of detail into a smaller file size than raster and our source EOTopo mapset contains up to 1K map detail. At the moment our output of EOTopo online is already 18K, but due to the raster format is limited to 144K offline. When going to Vector we definately plan to increase the detail of the offline maps to at least 9K, if not 2K if possible. We are very close to releasing Vector online - David assures me there's only about 2 weeks work left but I know that in reality that is 2 months from happening but we will see. I have watched him working on the offline vector production and he is still struggling to get the file size as small as he expected but then again, we have a very detailed topo mapset - there is just sooo much data and the resolution is very high in the master source. There is no problems with access to the data - we have it already. We are just wanting to get as much of that quality delivered to our customers in the offline version. We are also due to prepare a massive roads data layer conflation project to pull in the latest streets updates since the last release so its a matter of ensuring we can get the updated data out to customers prior to 2019 outback travel season too. A lot of time pressure for a small 2 person business but we are very committed and have done it before. Hope this info helps.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896884

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 20:43

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 20:43
Thanks Michelle....

Sounds very promising so I hope you are successful with your plans, as this might be what I'm looking for.....
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896895

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 14:30

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 14:30
Hi Jeff

A big YES from me, had no problems and they are a fantastic product and it will be like chalk and cheese compared to the Garmin, which are a good unit.

Had my unit nearly 2 years and no issues.

Free map updates as well as many other great features.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623555

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:40

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:40
Thanks Stephen, nice to hear from a happy user.
Jeff
FollowupID: 896786

Reply By: maurice b - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 16:57

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 16:57
No. due to the documented problems and excessive cost. Basically they a a cheap rebadged Android tablet still on the out of date Android 4.4 operating system with a low memory and screen resolution . They run a custom Oziexplorer licenced program called Ezi Ozi. If you require something similar buy a quality Android tab and install Oziexplorer then Igo or other street navs to switch between .HX1 reviews https://www.productreview.com.au/p/hema-hx-1-navigator.html and Oziexplorer and Igo on a cheap Android Tablet https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/cheap-android-gps-device.42141/
AnswerID: 623561

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 20:22

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 20:22
Hi Maurice

You state that due to the documented problems...............

So does this actually mean that you do not own a HX1?

If you do not own one, then how can you say No?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896781

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 11:26

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 11:26
No, because its expensive and you are tied to the Hema proprietary tablet that is just a navigator.

The technology in a hand held device advances quickly that in 12 months the Hema tablet is well past being obsolete (some would argue the tablets are obsolete when new) and if you want to update or have a equipment failure, then you need to buy a new one with the maps loaded at their full retail.

Buying a android tablet or iPad and installing the app you then have something that can be used for more than just mapping. Alternately you can install a few different mapping apps and still be ahead on $$.
If you have an equipment failure or update the device, then down load the app onto the new device using your existing product license and you are away.

No, I don't have one either. I've heard of people having issues and for the reasons stated above, why would I?
FollowupID: 896831

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:20

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:20
Hi Hoyks

Once again another negative reply from someone that does not own one or has used one.

First of all the HX1 is not a Tablet, but a 7” windscreen mounted navigation unit with the latest technology, something that you will not find on Garmin, Tom Tom etc and will blow all of these units out of the water.

With the HX1 selling for $549 you can not compare an iPad or other tablets in the same fields, as with the tablets, you will need to purchase a good quality mounting system that will set you back around the $100 mark....give or take.

You will then have to purchase a good and reliable, up to date mapping system and or maps which will be $100 give or take depending on what you go for.

So far this post has had 4 positive replies from 4 people that actually have and use them, and not just feedback from people that have an issue that may or not be true.

The features of the HX1 is still streets ahead of any other unit of its type on the market. You must also remember that Hema is a major and trusted map producer, employing many people and are continually out in the field checking and updating any issues that are brought to their attention, again something that other competitors do not do.

David and Michelle do a fantastic job for a 2 man team, but unfortunately with out doing any in the field checking (something that I have suggested to them a few times in private emails) the end results unfortunately show up in their maps.

Like I said, full praise to David and his very devoted work, but there is no way 1 man can do what many field people can do.

And for the record, I am not a paid employee of Hema, but a very sitisfied customer that will always give praise where it is due and come to the defence when something not true is posted.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896838

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:51

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:51
Its a tablet, it might be rugged-ized, but at the end of the day its still a tablet. I'm also not saying Hema maps are rubbish, I have the iOS app and a stack of their paper down the back of the seat.

Its your $$, but this is hardly a glowing review from a guy that has both -1 and -7 and at the end suggests you get an iPad .
https://youtu.be/g8isH6uUIVY

FollowupID: 896839

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 14:31

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 14:31
Hi Hoyks

Yes I have seen this comparison before, but unfortunately it is so out of date and he does not suggest that the iPad is the way to go - only for a second back up unit. I am not a real big fan of Ronny, as you only have to watch his series that he did on the Anne Beadell Highway and it shows just what he is really like.

Hema have not made a HN7 for around 3 years and have not been for sale in any shops for over 2 years.

If you are comparing it with an iPad, then it must be cellular, or else it simply will not work out bush from the satellites and a good quality bluetooth GPS receiver will cost well over $200, so again no comparison in pricing.

As I have stated, I have and use the HX1 and my comments are based purely on my own personal experience. As for comparing it with the HN7, I unfortunately disagree with Ronny, and yes I still own a HN6 and a HN7 that I now never use.....well not quite true.

On our 7 week Cape York trip last year, I had the HN7 set up on the passenger side of the car so Fiona could see where we were and I had the HX1 set up on my side for my use.

And on another matter, I also use a Microsoft Surface 12" for recording all my track and waypoint details that i use on the back of the car seat in the storage mesh, that runs OziExplorer.

It still gets back to the original question that was asked by Jeff, and he wanted thoughts from people that actually own one and not just hear say.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896840

Reply By: Austag - Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 19:50

Thursday, Jan 31, 2019 at 19:50
HX1 is pricey! And for me personally took me a while to get my head around how to use it. But I find it fine to use (only use EXPLORE function, not the DRIVE function).
Heat has not been an issue, but I have made a cover for it (old windscreen sunshade that I cut up to suit).

Have had it for just under 2 years and haven't had any bug issues with it.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623565

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:48

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:48
Well Well still undecided on this issue I guess the jury is still out on this.
Maybe better to buy a GPS enabled Samsung Tab 7 and install all the EOmapping software onto it
Jeff
AnswerID: 623579

Follow Up By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 21:26

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 21:26
All very confusing Jeff ?????????
FollowupID: 896808

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 14:58

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 14:58
Trouper,

I have a Samsung Tab S2 9.7 (GPS enabled). I use it to run OziExplorer and EO's Traveller simultaneously. Both have advantages and I can swap between them on the go.

Traveller is excellent for most purposes and is a tracker. Ozi lets me use really detailed maps where required - all off-line.

I did have a 7 inch GPS enabled Samsung tablet but found detailed maps too hard to read, so recommend the 9.7.

Here's a pic of the mounting system I use - a RAM system with a couple of DIY steady brackets.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896841

Reply By: MarkHugh - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 11:58

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 11:58
Hi Jeff,

We have had one for roughly 18 months. When we first got the HX-1 it would shut off because of heat settings (rather than a physical issue) but that was solved with a software update. It has been reliable and is easily updated.

Ours is used in addition to our LC200 built-in navigation system. That has its useful features but, in our opinion, the HX-1 is the better street navigator and, of course, has the HEMA maps.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 623597

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 13:33

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 13:33
Hi Jeff,

Another plug for the Hema HX1. Yes it did have its issues, but if you worked through them with Hema, (downloaded the latest upgrade), they have been resolved.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623598

Reply By: Brown Hornet - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:50

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:50
I was considering my options and decided to download HEMA Maps onto my iPad (which has in built GPS, so no reception required) and it has been fantastic. No regrets, large screen and can use Google Earth, WikiCamps etc
AnswerID: 624408

Sponsored Links