Darling River Run in April

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 07:51
ThreadID: 137750 Views:2930 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Planning a DRR in April from Lightning Ridge to Mungo.... has anyone been out their recently - how bad is the river?

Ive seen photos on Facebook but was after some feedback

Also will the wetseason waters from QLD have made it down to the Darling by then (guesstimates?)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 08:54

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 08:54
I also had thought about a Darling River run soon, but have abandoned that idea with the cruel dry and fish kills.
Wet season rain in northern QLD drains into the Channel country and Lake Eyre area. Doesn't get to the Darling.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623576

Reply By: OBJ - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 07:21

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 07:21
You may be able to take a walk along it if it gets any worse.
AnswerID: 623591

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:20

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:20
A few things, the fish kills I have heard about have not been reported up stream at Louth and Tilba. They seem to have been concentrated down around Menindee. You see very little of the river water whilst you are driving down there, in fact a lot of the road dies not have the Darling in sight (just like driving up the eastern coast.) The people along the towns down the Darling will still appreciate your custom.

Give the publicans at Tilpa and Louth a ring and see how their bit of river is fairing. Also ring the tourist info centres at Brewarrina, bourke and Wilcania a bell.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623593

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 10:00

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 10:00
Hi Peter

The fish kill is big news down here in South Australia and it is a National disgrace and the reason why it has not been heard upstream would be for a very good reason....you are entering into Cotton growing country........say no more

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896816

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:22

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:22
We did the Darling River Run back in September... our route took us to Walgett, Brewarrina, Bourke Louth, Tilpa, Wilcannia, Menindee and then onto Broken Hill, then we headed to Flinders Ranges from there
We camped the night at 4 Mile Reserve outside Brewarrina, fantastic spot (other then the flies were a bit thick due to some recent rain then) was right beside the water...a decent amount of water there I assume due to wier downstream. Then camped at Trilby Station after that...we camped right down the end of thier camp area which had ok water to look over, but obviously it was pretty low. Up at their house and other camps closer to the house you could walk across the river, you could still paddle the kayaks around belo w thier house, but had to pick your spots so as not to run aground.....i couldn't work out what their sheep were eating, there was pretty much nothing on the ground for them to eat. We missed out on driving the neighbouring Dunlop Station due to the drive being closed because of lambing time...that was disappointing as it looks to have some nice stuff on it, but it's understandable they didn't want to stress the animals anymore then necessary, especially with the lack of food about. Out the back of Louth and Tilpa Pubs the river had a few puddles in it, but was nearly dry there really. Stopped for lunch at Coach and Horses campground, was a nice amount of water there to look over still. We camped right on the edge of Lake Pamamaroo (where Menindee Lakes pics are usually taken) near the dam wall, it was a stunning green oasis here and a stark contrast to the surrounding countryside....a real highlight of our trip.
We toyed with the idea of canning our trip due to the drought, but decided to support the businesses and head away anyhow.....it was still a great trip and we don't regret going, though I'd love to head back there in better times to see how stunning it would be, because you could see how it would look nicer with some green about the area.
AnswerID: 623594

Reply By: sweetnam - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 10:17

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 10:17
Thanks to everyone for the info.....

Trip definitely happening - just getting an idea of what to expect out there....
AnswerID: 623626

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 08:56

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 08:56
Here's how Henry saw the Darling ......

The skies are brass and the plains are bare,
Death and ruin are everywhere;
And all that is left of the last year's flood
Is a sickly stream on the grey-black mud;
The salt-springs bubble and the quagmires quiver,
And this is the dirge of the Darling River.

—?Henry Lawson

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623634

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 09:11

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2019 at 09:11
And there wouldn’t have been irrigators around in Henry’s day to blame for no water in the Darling!!!

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 896881

Sponsored Links