Article Comment: Comparison of Offline 4WD Maps & GPS Navigation Apps

ExplorOz.com is the only place where you can view free topographic mapping for the whole of Australia, and at the highest detail available for a whole of Australia map. Go to EOTopo and click to open the EOTopo online panel. There is no software to install, no account to sign up to, and you can simply view it using your standard internet browser.

Edit: click here to open EOTopo page

The map features zoom controls and a full screen enlargement option. At max zoom (Level 16), you are viewing map data at 18K. This is perfect for all your trip planning.

NOTE: if you wish to purchase our map data for offline use when travelling to use on an iPad, tablet, phone, or laptop we recommend you purchase our app (ExplorOz Traveller) from any app store for $59.99, and then purchase the ExplorOz Traveller Premium Offline Maps from our shop for $49.99. The app will enable you to view the 18K map EOTopo online maps when you have Wifi or 3/4G data, and when you don't have service you can simply switch to view the offline maps. The offline maps contain coverage for the whole of Australia in one simple purchase. To see an approximation of what the map data will look like in the app please set the zoom in the EOTopo online map view to Level 13. At this scale you are viewing the map data at 144K, however all roads from the 18K zoom layer are included (both on and offline).

BONUS: In the ExplorOz Traveller app, we display raster tile sheets in a zooming system, with each odd number zoom level (from 1-13) displaying 100% scale for best clarity, whilst the even numbered zoom levels (from 2-14) are "overzoom" enlargements (these can look a little blurry as a result but enable you to enlarge the map view without downloading more data). In V3.6.0 (due for release early February 2019) we have added an additional 2 overzoom levels up to Level 16. Note - this is still Level 13 map data but enlarged for convenience.

FUTURE UDPATES: The delivery of our offline Australia map at 144K in raster format is at the limit of what is technically viable in terms of file size manageability, so in order to deliver larger scale offline maps in the future we are planning to move to use the vector map system. The update of map data to EOTopo 2019 is planned for release later this year and we hope that will be released in the vector format that should enable us to display EOTopo online at 1K, (yes, you read that correct - map scale of 1:1000). After this, we will roll out a vector release for ExplorOz Traveller, also with larger scale offline mapping.

We are very excited and committed to future possibilities with our EOTopo product and greatly appreciate the support and feedback of our customers. For the best utilisation of our services, we recommend use of our maps with our app ExplorOz Traveller.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 22:50

Friday, Feb 01, 2019 at 22:50
Hi Michelle,
Where is the EOTopo online panel?
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623588

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 00:58

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 00:58
Click the link shown on each time the word EOTopo is underlined in my post or use the site menu and go to EOTopo.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896812

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 07:49

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 07:49
Michelle,

I cannot open anything.

Clicking on the EOTopo in your email returns a black screen with an ETopo image and green arrow but clicking on that, or anywhere else, does nothing.

AnswerID: 623592

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 08:31

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 08:31
Click menu at top left our website, then click EOTopo and then on that page you will see a grey heading EOTopo Online...click that.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896814

Reply By: Member BarryG - Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:41

Saturday, Feb 02, 2019 at 09:41
Hi Michelle,
Sounds like a major improvement with the vector mapping option "down the track"!
Incidentally, the underlined post links to EOTopo point to the Shop and not to the online EOTopo page.
Regards
Barry Gange
AnswerID: 623595

Sponsored Links