Re gassing air conditioner

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 at 19:27
ThreadID: 137819 Views:1959 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi i need to get my caravan air con re gassed in Katherine,has anybody had it done ,if so would appreciate your feedback.
Cheers
Baker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 at 19:43

Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 at 19:43
Hi Humpback

If you need it re gassed, there must be a leak in the system.

If this is the case, you will need to get the system inspected to see where the leak or leaks are.

Often leaks are hard to find, and I know in cars they use a special dye that will show where the leak is

All the best.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623894

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 13:43

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 13:43
Stephen has a good point. The gas is a continuously recirculating fluid - becomes gas when expanded (using heat from the surrounds to do so) and is compressed again into a liquid (releasing heat to the surrounds to do so). There should be no loss of gas in the process, if all is working as it should.
So, the obvious point is that there's a problem with the sealing of your system, such that gas is being allowed to escape - OR, the gas is so old that it's now illegal to use, and the tech has determined that you need a new gas.
Either way, a replacement system might be a cheaper option.

Note: I'm not an A/C technician, but have a grasp of the technicalities through my own research.
FollowupID: 897244

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 at 20:23

Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 at 20:23
Yep on the question of regas reliability...was the same issue for me. My 7 year old Aircommand Ibis lost cooling and a techo told me it would take quite some $ of his callout/time to rule out a leak...and if regassing, he had to capture any residual old gas. Mine had done very little work over that time so I just put it down to ageing seals. Decided to simply buy a new unit online....fitted it myself...and...it has a remote controller with wall mount...and...runs off my Honda 2k ! I dismantled the old one and recycled the parts. As for Aircommand...it was an Adelaide based standout maker in this field (internationally too), but my readings suggest that it was bought out by international interests a few years back (one may sigh..??).
AnswerID: 623895

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 07:34

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 07:34
Try the yellow pages.......remember those?
AnswerID: 624002

Sponsored Links