Big red festival advice please

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 09:06
ThreadID: 137841 Views:2835 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of going to the big red bash but have a few questions for those that have already attended.

Main concern is my wifes lack of walking ability. After a knee reconstruction about 2 years ago she cannot climb more than a few steps nor walk more than say 100m without lots of discomfort.

We will have a 20 foot caravan but i believe when the van is on its site your tow vehicle is parked well away from the van, due to the size of the camp area, is this the case ?

Is there any sort of public transport /schuttle bus to and from varies events ,around the camp site or to birdsville itself ?

Thankyou for any advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:08

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:08
http://www.bigredbash.com.au/bigredbash/camping-at-bashville
AnswerID: 624004

Reply By: terryt - Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 08:33

Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 08:33
If your wife is limited to walking 100m I'd say the best thing you could do would be forget it. I haven't been but I've seen the campsite just before the event and it's huge.
AnswerID: 624019

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:20

Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:20
Obviously the location, outback, no paths etc could have some issues for people with various disabilities, but . . . Don't just not go.

Go to the BRB website as per reply 1.

Contact by email asking specifically as you have done in your post, or better if possible, get a phone number and speak to someone.

Asking them directly if they can accommodate you and you wife as close as possible near the event is the best option.

Due to her condition, it's very likely the event organisers may be more than willing to assist, they may even have special nearby campsites for people slightly disabled, like they do carparks in shopping centres.

I'm sure they would really need to work with people with disabilities, after all it is a crying shame that in 2019 you could be excluded from such a great event if you wanted to go, and no such event organiser would purposely not want to include such a group, for reasons both humanitarian and financial.

Let us know what happens, as some lobbying may be required from various disabilities group advocates for relatively new events such as the BRB.
AnswerID: 624020

Follow Up By: Pepper - Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:31

Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:31
Thankyou les ,from the website above the closest disabled campsite for disabled is 200 metres but there seems to be a "transit permit" avail if you have a disabled permit that may allow limited car transport from your camp site to some areas within the camp.

Seems the organizers are doing their best to accomodate people with disabilities ,will contact them as you say.
FollowupID: 897414

Reply By: Hewy54 - Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:33

Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 09:33
Contact the organisers and arrange a disability pass.
We have been 3 times.
Your tow vehicle is parked on your campsite the same as at a caravan park.
There is a disabled camping area fairly close to the stage area.
AnswerID: 624021

Sponsored Links