Arnhem Land Camping

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 13:01
ThreadID: 137856 Views:3913 Replies:2 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone can shed their own experiences at fishing the Cato and Koolatong rivers and the hoops you had to jump through to get the permits.
Wanting to drive to the Roper Via the Koolatong River then down through Numbulwar and Ngukurr.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 14:51

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 14:51
. Hi Lyndon,

We visited East Arnhem Land in 2018 and had a great time.

The Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation who issue permits are very helpful but strict. Apart from the 'General Permit' at $92 which covers Nhulunbuy and near surrounds you need 'Special Permits' for certain specified recreation areas.

For other areas such as Homeland communities and the non-recreation permit areas such as where you seek, you need to apply to the Northern Land Council describing where you wish to visit and why. Fishing requires a separate permit.

You also need to obtain a Transit Permit from the NLC to travel on the Central Arnhem Highway from Katherine to Nhulunbuy. This is free.
NLC Homepage

Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation: PO Box 1551, Nhulunbuy NT 0881
Home Page
Phone: 08 8939 2700
Email: permits@dhimurru.com.au

Unlike some other Lands, here you may expect Rangers to request to inspect permits.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624055

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 17:34

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 17:34
Hi Allan

Across most of what you have mentioned. Spent 2 1/2 months camping around the Gove area in 2008.
Called into the NLC building in Darwin the other day. They had a big map up on the wall as you would expect. There were 3 ladies on the desk.
I asked who the permit Guru was and was directed to one of them.
Said we were going out to Gove and wanted information re transiting back to the Roper River Via the koolatong River, Numbulwar, Ngukurr.
She eventually found Gove, had no idea of where the other places were............................................................

Cheers

FollowupID: 897453

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 18:07

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 18:07
Ahh Lyndon, that is the Aboriginal way I'm afraid. And I say that with respect.
I am reading a book at the moment, "Why Warriors Lay Down and Die" by Richard Trudgen. It is really opening my eyes, and my mind, to understanding Aboriginal behaviour. It has confirmed some of which I presumed and revealed much of what I did not know. We expect much of what is not there. Too detailed to go further here. I'm sure you understand.

When I was arranging my Arnhem Land transit permit I was asked from where I wished to collect it as it could not be posted. I was offered Nhulunbuy (Gove) or Katherine. Not much good being Nhulunbuy as I needed it to get there!! So I chose Katherine and had to re-arrange my itinerary to meet their opening days. On collection, the lady advised me that it could have been posted but the "lady at Nhulunbuy was just being lazy".
We simply cannot expect all Aboriginal persons to behave as we would expect them to. It is a fact of life and we must accept it.

Anyway, did you eventually get satisfaction at NLC Darwin?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897454

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:39

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:39
"She eventually found Gove, had no idea of where the other places were..."

Next time be prepared with detailed maps.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897459

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:04

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:04
Hi Allan

That book Why Warriors should be compulsory reading in schools, and if everyone in Australia read that book. We would be much closer to closing the gap.

There is a film coming out soon called High Ground. It depicts how the white settlers in Arnhemland treated the blacks, similar to what is portrayed in Why Warriors. It was filmed in West Arnhemland and Kakadu last year.

Sorry to go off topic, and I can't help Lyndon with his request other than to say. Contact NLC in Gove perhaps.
FollowupID: 897461

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:40

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:40
Thank you Steve. I agree that everyone living in Australia should read and absorb that book. Why Warriors Lie Down and Die
A recent ABC 'Australian Story' featuring JackThompson featured that film 'High Ground'. I will be watching for it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897463

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 20:58

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 20:58
Hi Allan

No luck yet. It's always a matter of striking the right person.

I think we are going to have a different opinion as to the office "service".

As as point of interest, the three woman where white, however that doesn't mean that they don't identify as indigenous......................

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897474

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 22:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 22:00
Hi Peter

I'm somewhat confused by your reply.

"Next time be prepared with detailed maps"

Are you saying I should take my own maps of the area to the NLC that administer that area? They have a HUGE map on the wall..................

The two communities that I mentioned are of significant size.

Would you feel the need take maps of a station to the station owner to discuss camping on his property?

Regards

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897476

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 23:04

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 23:04
When the woman said she did not know where the places you were talking about were, you would have had something to show where they were. It would have been a good starting point for here to go further.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897479

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 18:54

Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 18:54
Hi Peter

All good, I was able to point to the car bonnet sized map she was standing next to.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897490

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:45
Fished the Cato a few times before the bullshit Aboriginal politics got involved. Had to launch in knee deep mud...god help you if a water gecko decided to investigate what the commotion was! $50 a day then...dont know what it is now. Like almost anything involving Aboriginal organisations and permits ...its a nightmare and inefficiently run. Have caught some nice fish in the Cato. Also fished it when camped in Arnhem Bay for a week at a time. Koolatong is also a good river at times...permit needed now but unsure whom you would contact...should be NLC in Nhulunbuy.

Met Trudgeon a few times and attended one of his talks....Like a few others who left the meeting....the bloke is so biased and one eyed that you couldnt talk reason to him...I worked in Aboriginal communities for 20 years and didnt need this bloke trying to lay a guilt trip on all white fellas!!!
AnswerID: 624068

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 22:01

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 22:01
Hey Bigfish

Most folks will never understand as they haven't lived here.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897477

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 08:10

Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 08:10
Dont think you will get a permit to cross the Roper and head to Numbalwah or Nguka. Road stays impassible long after the wet. Turning South from Lake Evella will also require a permit and I know these were not given out easily...unless your aboriginal you will have trouble accessing most of these remote tracks. I did hear rumours that groups wanted this track opened for tourism but it would require a lot of work to make it a viable concern.. I was lucky and had a permit that covered all Arnhem Land. Went to every community and made some good friends. Travelled by barges, 4wd , aircraft and helicopters for close on 2 decades. . A life many wish for but few achieve. As I have said before...the politics (i.e.....greed, power and money) behind the councils and govts is a bloody disgrace to both white and black.
FollowupID: 897481

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 21:39

Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 21:39
Hi

Think it will be open, it will be mid September, and as for a wet....
What wet! Another failed season in the Top End, thus far anyway.

Paid a $100 for a permit 10 years ago and spent a couple of weeks camped down on the Koolatong.

I'll keep probing, just a matter of getting the wright person.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897494

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)