Oziexplorer on Android Lenovo Tablet

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019 at 22:56
ThreadID: 137871 Views:4892 Replies:6 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hello is there anyone here that is a bit of a guru on Ozi on a tablet, that I can email with and ask some questions. The Ozi support page is of no help to the questions I have.
Hoping someone here can assist with my few questions.

Thanks.
"Nothing that matters comes easy
Nothing that comes easy ever really matters"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019 at 23:48

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019 at 23:48
Austag,

You might be better off listing your questions here and waiting for a response. Some are a bit reticent about giving out their email address.

Regards
AnswerID: 624100

Reply By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 00:10

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 00:10
Thanks Gramps, fair enough.

2 questions.

1 - How can I rename 'track' or 'waypoint' names. so they aren't as dates.
2 - is there a way to join tracks, instead of having a 2 week trip being divided up into 14 different tracks.

thanks.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624101

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 00:38

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 00:38
I'm definitely not a guru but (for vers 1.29)

1. Go to Main Menu (icon with green arrow under power icon)
Go to Operation menu
then Waypoints menu
Waypoint list
Select Waypoint required
Select Edit Properties
Change Waypoint name
Save
There may be a much easier way to do it ????

Could'nt find similar option to change name of Track files.

2. Does'nt seem as easy or as obvious to do as in PC version. I'll try and do some work on it tomorrow unless a 'real guru' comes to the party with a solution beforehand.

Regards
FollowupID: 897505

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 22:37

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 22:37
this looks to be it, how did I miss this! Thanks. would be easier if you could just tap the waypoint on the map and change it. Now I have to remember by the saved name what they are.
I might try it this and/or the other options put forward of getting a better file explorer.
Much appreciated!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897523

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 02:07

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 02:07
Hello - no guru on android version but as far as files names go just plug device into PC and change file names via windows explorer if you can't do it on the device.

Joining track files fractionally harder ...doubt you can do it on Android version but either way probably is best done via PC version of Ozi - so ...before I explain - do you have PC version of OziExplorer?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624102

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:31

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:31
Hello Greg,
yes we have PC Ozi, for our Garmin, however PC Ozi won't talk to the Android tablet, this I've confirmed with Des @ Ozi.
I will try changing the name via the PC.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897513

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:49

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:49
Hello

Most devices act as external memory devices when connected to PC these days so while Ozi wont "talk" to the tablet you just copy files over to the PC using windows explorer or just use Load and Save in the Ozi menu to access files held on the internal memory of the tablet.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897532

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:04

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 12:04
Anyway - very easy to join tracks in Ozi PC

Step 1: Load first track file - track file should load

Step 2: Press LOAD -> Append Track from File" - select next track file and so on and so on untill all the files you want a loaded.

Step 3: Then Save as a new track file.

Other way load up all the track files, open track control menu box and select "join tracks together. Same result.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897533

Follow Up By: Austag - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 17:48

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 17:48
Thanks Greg, much appreciated I'll give a go tonight.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897535

Follow Up By: Austag - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 21:05

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 21:05
Hello Greg,
I've plugged the tablet into my PC, and it's showing in explorer, but when I go to the Ozi folder I only can see the Maps folder on the PC, not the Data folder where the tracks are located. Why is this?

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897537

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 21:11

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 21:11
Hi

They must be in another folder...look in the configuration settings in Ozi on your tablet to find the folder data is saved in. Sometimes some data may be in an Ozi Folder in internal memory and sometimes on the SD card. Keep looking you will find them

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897538

Reply By: maurice b - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 15:15

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 15:15
To rename a track file i dont think its possible by using the Ozi Menu . I simply use my built in File Explorer ,open it and direct myself to Oziexplorer/Data/Tracklog / dated track file.plt. and rename it, leave the .plt extension there or file will be invalid.
There is no way to join track files together that i know of on the device( PC Yes) . Each daily track log is saved in the Data/ Tracklog folder so rename them and load them as you please , Each file needs to be loaded one at a time , continue loading as many as you like. To unload its on the same menu from where you loaded from ,right down the bottom .'Unload all User Tracks'. it unloads all the tracks,it doesn't delete them. There is no option to select a particular one.
AnswerID: 624107

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:31

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:31
Thanks Maurice, I shall try this as well. :)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897514

Follow Up By: Austag - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 13:56

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 13:56
Hello Maurice, can I bother you again with another question.
In Oziexplorer on the tablet, how do you, or example track for the day, camp at night, then resume track recording the next day, not create another track log?
Thanks.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897979

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 14:46

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 14:46
What if you leave the device on overnight with Ozi running. I don't know what Ozi's logic around extended stops is, particularly overnight - it may automatically create a new file or it may not. I haven't tried this but it could be a possibility.

Of course, you'll probably need external power.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897981

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:34

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:34
"2 - is there a way to join tracks, instead of having a 2 week trip being divided up into 14 different tracks." (On an Android tablet)

Yep.

With a suitable third party file explorer you can open any text file, regardless of extension.

I use Cx File Explorer.

1 Navigate to the .plt file you want to add to the previous (eg the second of two) and open it.
2 Copy all the data lines (not the header)
3 Back out of the current file, navigate to the first file (the one you want to add to) and open it.
4 Scroll to the bottom and paste the copied data.
5 Save the file.
6 Repeat as necessary.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624109

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:35

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:35
Great news, thanks Frank! Will give it a go.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897515

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:42

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 16:42
Austag,

I don't know if all Android tablets are the same, but on my Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 7.0 you can use Windows keystrokes for editing. Eg CTRL C, X, V, A, Y etc.

Much better than trying to slide those little handles around on the screen and very handy for what you're trying to do. Works with both the screen keyboard and an external Bluetooth one.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897516

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 23:17

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 23:17
Hi Frank, ok I downloaded the CX file explorer and have been able to modify names of tracks etc. Now to join them, when you say Open, I gather I open as Text and when you say copy the data lines, do you mean copy all the LONG/LAT co-ordinates? There is pages and pages of them right? Next dumb question sorry, how to do I copy all but the header? If I tap and hold a keyboard just keeps coming up. Also I'm not getting the CTRL on the keyboard to use Windows keystrokes to CTRL A to copy all.
Sorry about all the questions.
Thanks in advance

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897525

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 23:38

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 23:38
Hi Frank, I have another question. Why is Ozi tracking today, I keep getting logs for todays date and I'm not moving? I assume I've turned something on, as it shows previous dates of tracking and it all shows at my home address? Sorry again for more questions.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897526

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:27

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:27
Hi Austag,
To answer your second question first, there are inaccuracies in the system the extent of which depend on many variables which include your GPS hardware, number of visible satellites, signal quality (eg shading, reflections etc). Others more educated in this can probably help more with the details.

The net effect is that even though your device is stationary, the errors cause the position fix to be recalculated which can show up as movement. Depending on map scale this movement may or may not be visible. On a 250k map probably not, but on a large scale, detailed map, quite possible. I see it on a street directory page that I have scanned into Ozi. Regardless of whether or not you can see the apparent movement, the .plt file records what your system has calculated, just as it does when you move. That is what you are seeing.

Re your copy questions ...
"when you say Open, I gather I open as Text"
Yes.

"when you say copy the data lines, do you mean copy all the LONG/LAT co-ordinates?"
Yes, copy all the lines containing lat/long. Pages and pages, as you say. This is where the CTRL A or Copy All function is handy.

"how to do I copy all but the header?"
It might be easier to copy all, including the header, paste that, then remove the unwanted header lines in the middle of the document after pasting.

"If I tap and hold a keyboard just keeps coming up"
When I tap and hold I also get the screen keyboard. But I also get a highlighted section of text with the handles at each end and a pop-up menu with CUT, COPY, PASTE, CLIPBOARD, SHARE and three vertical dots.

Tap the three dots and choose SELECT ALL. The whole document (including the header, is selected and the above pop-up menu is presented again. Choose COPY, then back out of this file, navigate to the target file, scroll to the end, position the cursor, long press and PASTE.

Now scroll to where the unwanted header is, ie part way through the document, select it using the long press and handles method and CUT.

Now SAVE the combined file. Repeat as necessary.

If you can get access to a Bluetooth keyboard you might get the Windows CTRL functionality, or you might not. It depends on what Lenovo have done inside your tablet (hardware, customising Android, etc).

An external keyboard gives you back the screen real estate that the on-screen keyboard takes away. In a project such as yours that would be valuable. Can you borrow one to test?

In any case if you frequently use your tablet on forums or to write documents, emails, etc, an external keyboard may be a worthwhile investment regardless of the possible absence of the CTRL functionality. Price varies. I got a very nice cheap one from Aldi for $30. I was also given a more substantial Logitech which I know cost about $150. Both incorporate a stand for the tablet to give you a laptop-like work place with a full screen.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897530

Follow Up By: Austag - Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 19:49

Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 19:49
Hello again Frank,
this tablet is gonna be the end of me..HA HA.
ok so this tablet when tap/hold I get the handles but I don't the 3 dots. I just get CUT COPY SHARE SELECT ALL, but when I tap SELECT ALL it just selects the that line, not all the text.
I can't grab and drag it down to select all either, it will only drag to the right to select the Line. Getting frustrated!
I will see what i can do about borrowing a bluetooth keyboard, think that is the only way I'm going to get this to work for me.
Sorry more questions. Is there a way to load multiple tracks at once, instead of going in and uploading, one at a time? Also, with the CX file explorer app, is there a way of getting a PDF document that I have in main storage (and on the sd card) up on the home page (like a shortcut to the PDF) so we don't have to go into the file explorer app to open it?

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897536

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 11:08

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 11:08
Hello Austag,

"but when I tap SELECT ALL it just selects the that line, not all the text.
I can't grab and drag it down to select all either, it will only drag to the right to select the Line. "

I have not experienced this, but after reading your post I did a bit of poking around. I get the same behaviour on some files. I think it is related to file size. Large files seem to bring on the misbehaviour but I am unable to find the cut-off point. The only thing I can suggest is if you want to do it all on the tablet try other third party file managers until you find one that works for you.

Otherwise copy the relevant .plt files to a PC and do the process in Notepad (Windows) or some other simple text editor the transfer the completed file back to Ozi's Data folder. Or do it in Ozi on a PC as described by Explorer elsewhere in this topic.

" Is there a way to load multiple tracks at once, instead of going in and uploading, one at a time?
In Cx File Explorer the answer would appear to be "No". In any case you would eventually run into file size issue as the file grew, so editing would become difficult.

In Notepad, every time you open a new file you open a new instance of Notepad. Just copy and paste the latest file on to the end of the ever-growing first.

"Also, with the CX file explorer app, is there a way of getting a PDF document that I have in main storage (and on the sd card) up on the home page (like a shortcut to the PDF) so we don't have to go into the file explorer app to open it?"

Not with Cx File Explorer, but a quick search found this.

Until recently ES File Explorer had reportedly been hacked and contained malware. In the latest version that has reportedly been fixed by the developer. It is subscriber-based, but you can get a 14 day free trial. I tried it and you can indeed create a shortcut to a file, among many other things. One is associate a file with an app, which could be handy.

Also, I tried editing some large .plt files. A quick look suggests it doesn't have the issues that Cx has. Try it, see how you go. I will play with it and may swap my allegiance from Cx. What put me off until now was the reported hack.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897541

Reply By: maurice b - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 19:39

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 19:39
Austag. To clarify your post above 'We have Ozi pc for Garmin' . There's no just thing , totally different operating system . However a Garmin gps module can be use in Ozi to seek satetites.
AnswerID: 624111

Follow Up By: Austag - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 19:49

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2019 at 19:49
ok so we have Oziexplorer on the home computer and our GPS is an old garmin that we download and upload waypoints to Ozi. Hope that makes more sense.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897519

Sponsored Links