Samsung Tablet and ExplorOz Traveller

Submitted: Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 18:10
ThreadID: 137942 Views:3637 Replies:6 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Have recently installed EOTraveller on our Samsung Tab S4 tablet. Have had a number of issues that Michelle has patiently guided me through but one I am having major problems with is trying to do a quick tap on a public or private place symbol to open it up or to expand the green dot. Sometimes (more often than not) it just won't open. Mostly use the pen that came with the Tablet but have also tried using my good old digital finger. It's even more difficult when trying to check out a place while the car is moving. Have tried to open some (when my wife is driving).

I have a screen protector on the tablet and am wondering if this is causing my problem. Does anyone else have a similar problem with screen protectors? Next step is to take the protector off and bin it.

Enjoying the app apart from this.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 19:15

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 19:15
Hello

Can't really help but have you tried claibrating the touch screen? This may of may not help.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624366

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 19:57

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 19:57
Thanks Greg. No luck with calibrating. Doesn't give me the option of doing this. Have tried playing with the pen, magnifying what I am touching but no luck.
FollowupID: 897844

Reply By: Macquarie - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 20:41

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 20:41
I have an S3 tablet, with no protective screen and have no difficulty opening symbols in EO Traveller with either digits or pen.
Drop the screen, see how you go.

AnswerID: 624368

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 21:48

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 21:48
Thanks for that. Screen will come off tomorrow. Had it on to try and reduce glare.
FollowupID: 897846

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 22:06

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 22:06
I have an S2 tablet with a screen protector and have the same problem. (Finger only, no pen on the S2) Repeated taps eventually get the required response.

Try turning off Treks in the Overlays - that was EO's advice to me. It helped a bit on mine, but did not eliminate the problem.

No issues with other apps. I am reluctant to remove the screen protector as the numerous other apps I have don't exhibit the problem.

This issue with Traveller appeared with one of the upgrades but I cannot recall which one. I reported this as soon as I noticed it after the upgrade, so maybe D & M can backtrack emails to that date and software release
But you're right. It is otherwise an excellent nav tool. I find it invaluable.

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624370

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:05

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:05
Thanks Frank. I've turned off trecks and it does help a bit. Will persevere a bit longer before I remove the screen protector.
FollowupID: 897848

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 18:31

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 18:31
Mepvic,

Last night I fired Traveller up for a test of what we're talking about. At first it was super, responding instantly to touches of the icons and in dismissing them.

I left it on for a few hours and the touch response slowed right down, requiring multiple taps to get a response.

Does yours do similar?

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897855

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:08

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:08
I'll try it out tomorrow Frank when it all cools down. Have been loading up old WP's from Ozzie for the last hour.
FollowupID: 897859

Follow Up By: mepvic - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 21:02

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 21:02
Just booted it up. Same problem right from the beginning. Opened up Google maps and have no problem opening up local businesses or places with either my finger or with the pen. Need some advice from Michelle and David on whether there is anything in the program that defines the area to be touched on the screen.
FollowupID: 897893

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 22:18

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 22:18
Mepvic
I have a tablet but not a Samsung, however I use an S5 Samsung phone and it has a setting within the touch screen section which allows more sensitivity so the device can be used with gloves on, ie, less capacitive effect = more need for greater sensitivity.
Your tablet may have that too, and can be set to more sensitivity for the screen touch. If it has multiple settings, it may be set to Low instead of Normal. Whatever ever it has is worth a fiddle.
It may not be solely the screen protector either.
I don't know of your stature, but people of larger mass usually have no problems where those who are smaller and even a drier touch create less capacitive effect on the screen and seem to have greater problems. I have a friend who is petite and often has problems with an ipad touch operation, whereas , I am 100kg and have no trouble with exactly the same operation on the same device.
Even so I have Phat Phingers I suppose, and can make mistakes much better.
AnswerID: 624371

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:12

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:12
Thanks RMD. I'm not petite either and have no troubles normally with touch screens. Tablet doesn't have any sensitivity adjustment so have tried one suggestion to turn off treks. It has helped a bit but last step will be to remove protector. Bit reluctant to do that as it does help protect the screen. Also would not be able to put it back on as neatly as the lady in the computer kiosk where I purchased it.
FollowupID: 897849

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 18:16

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 18:16
mepvic,
The sensitivity adjustment is in the “display” section and is labelled “Increased touch sensitivity”. I thought it might also be included in their Tablet range.
FollowupID: 897854

Follow Up By: mepvic - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:04

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:04
No luck on the Tab S4 RMD. Just checked. Must be just the phone.
FollowupID: 897858

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 13:29

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 13:29
mepvic

Oh, bugger. Thought we were in with a shot.
FollowupID: 897876

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 18:29

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 18:29
Not sure it's screen sensitivity anyway. Every other button or link in the app works perfectly. It's just the icons on the map that are problematic.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897888

Reply By: maurice b - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:25

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:25
Is the touch screen issue only on the app keys mentioned . Do you have other screen touch issues on other apps ? Does it occur if you use your calculator ? If not it may not be a device issue. Personally I would start by clearing Dalvick cache with great care. Unistall EoTraveller, reboot device , reinstall EoTraveller.
AnswerID: 624390

Follow Up By: mepvic - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 09:23

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 09:23
Thanks Maurice. Have been loading up my places and have no trouble with typing names or waypoints, either with pen or finger. Seems to be just the icons.
FollowupID: 897901

Reply By: Member - IndroCruiser - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 23:47

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 23:47
Hi mepvic,

Recently, I bought a Samsung Tab A 10.1" T585 (Androud 6.0) from Kogan specifically for dash-mounting in vehicle with Tallon suction cup and frame, for use with Exploroz Traveller (Android version). Downloading the app was easy, maps literally took hours and many resets to load -- effect of huge files and lousy ADSL internet speed at home. The setup and private treks are now locked and loaded, ready to go, so far only trial runs around Brisbane but all good, Ali g the Darling River Run in May (if the river still exists!), then parts West.

I do find the Samsung tablet touchscreen fiddly to use -- so much so that I prefer to do all planning activities on a WIN10 x64 bit Microsoft Surface laptop at home even though this required purchase of an additional Windows licence for Exploroz Traveller -- plus the agony of downloading the maps again (but no additional map cost). I can then save Places/Waypoints, Treks etc on the Exploroz server then access and download them onto any licenced device, including the Samsung Android tablet. I had thought I would use the detachable Surface screen in the vehicle -- buuuut unlike a Samsung tablet, Surface has no internally installed GPS and so another gizmo would be required!

So much for the background.

I have experienced difficulty setting or opening Places or waypoints by touching them on my Samsung tablet screen. Some days are worse than others and it is worst on dry hot days. Sounds a bit primitive but I have found that a moist or licked fingertip works better than a dry finger so I suppose this indicates an improved capacitive effect?

I have looked in all the Settings on my Samsung tablet and I have yet to find any means of improving screen touch sensitivity. Sometimes the tablet requires a little time to respond after touching the screen. Occasionally I have noticed a similar reluctance on some applications (not Exploroz Traveller) on my Sansung S7 phone which also has no arrangement to vary screen sensitivity.

More internet research is required but my suspicions lie with the Samsung screen rather than the app.

One frustration I would note is that as I zoom in for close-up maps, the text in the labels of place names and road names actually reduce in size and are hard to read in a moving vehicle.

Comments from Michelle on all if the above would be welcome.

So there's a shared experience but I am not sure that it provides much help on your original question!

All that said, Exploroz Traveller is very, very useful -- strongly recommended.

Go wel!
IndroCruiser
2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624395

Follow Up By: mepvic - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 21:04

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 21:04
Thanks for your thoughts. As I just replied to Frank, another member, I just booted it up. Same problem right from the beginning. Opened up Google maps and have no problem opening up local businesses or places with either my finger or with the pen. Need some advice from Michelle and David on whether there is anything in the program that defines the area to be touched on the screen.
FollowupID: 897894

Follow Up By: Member - IndroCruiser - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:59

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:59
Conversely, tonight I am having less trouble opening Places on my Samsung tablet than I was a few nights ago. It all seems pretty good at the moment but I cannot explain the variability in performance. This is no help to you -- agree that it is time to call in Michelle and David ....
2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897897

Follow Up By: Member - IndroCruiser - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 00:45

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 00:45
I have just found the information at the link below and have been playing with “pointer speed”. This does seem to improve touch sensitivity in my case – may be worth a try on your tablet …..

• Tap settings.
• Tap Language and Input.
• Scroll to the very bottom of these settings and tap pointer speed.
• Increase the slider to make the touch screen more sensitive and easier to tab.
• Decrease the slider to make your touch screen less sensitive and more difficult to tap.
• Tap OK and then experiment with the results.

Android Screen Sensitivity

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897898

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 08:54

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 08:54
Thanks IndoCruiser. I hadn't found that setting. . But having played with it on my two devices, I have to report that sadly it makes no difference.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897900

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:53

Friday, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:53
Hi Indrocruiser, sorry I did not notice this discussion until now where you've directly invited me to comment. All I can actually say is this is the first discussion ever on the issue I've come across so David has not been involved with any investigations on this so there's not much we can say at this point as we haven't seen it happen. Since the last update was quite a while ago now (5th February, almost 6 weeks ago now ) it seems unlikely this is being experienced by all users so I feel this is either related to the device touchscreen or settings as you've said. Best to do some Googling on fixes for that...

There is also the chance it is operator issue - another user contacted me the other day about something about not being able to open places he was using too long a press on the place button and a lighter tap was all that was required.

Sorry I'm not much help am I ....
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897925

Sponsored Links