Hello, and a question on camping in the Katoomba area

Submitted: Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 23:19
ThreadID: 137945 Views:3522 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, new here, hope it's alright to kick things off with a question. First some quick background that may help. I have a Landcruiser 200 and will be towing an off-road camper trailer. We are self sufficient apart from portable toilet. Wife and 3 kids have previously done Cape York to the tip, along the Telegraph Track, Central Qld - Dinosaur trail and also an Uluru trip. We try to keep off the beaten track somewhat.

Next holiday we are planning on Jenolan Caves as the destination. Leaving Brisbane for Warrumbungles for 2 nights and then onto Blue Mountains. Planning on a few days in the region, so will be leaving camp each day to explore, so am thinking a caravan park of sorts may be safer to leave the camper and gear then a bush camp. Any opinion on the better place to camp, Katoomba Falls or Blackheath Glen? Or another suggestion?

Also any ideas about camp grounds in the Port Macquarie region for the trip back up the coast?

Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 06:56

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 06:56
Hi Steve

Blackheath has a good caravan park, not cheap, but good access to the area.

If going to Jenolan Caves, give some thought to visiting Yerranderie an old silver mining town. A great drive starting from Jenolan Caves and there are some camping options along the way.

I've written about it in my blog...

Yerranderie - Whispers from the past...

Enjoy your visit.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 624372

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 08:22

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 08:22
Wallergerang, has a great camping area (near Lithgow).

Landsdowne forest camp at Coopernook (south of Port Macquarie)

Use wikicamps to find them
AnswerID: 624373

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:19

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:19
Use the section on this site called Places to find camps and caravan parks and other POI's (see menu at top left of this site).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897847

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:30

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 22:30
I'll second Wallerawang on the lake. It's free with flushing toilets and hot showers available.
FollowupID: 897861

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 17:28

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 17:28
Hi Steve,
We stayed at the Blue Mountains Tourist Park - Katoomba Falls, http://www.bmtp.com.au/katoomba-falls.html
It is actually run by the council. It is very well located within a 10 minute bush walk of Scenic World. You might hesitate if you think of such tourist facilities, however we enjoyed travelling on the SkyWay, Scenic Railway and the new Cable Car. We bought a multi-use day pass which covers all three.
The caravan park has very good facilities and an excellent camp kitchen. However, being in such a tourist hot spot it is quite expensive and does require booking in advance.
Our day was to take the Skyway across the valley, walk around the cliff edge path, very safe, to Echo Point, walk down the Giant Stairway, adjacent to Echo Point, around the Federal Pass to the bottom of the Scenic Railway.
At the base of the Scenic Railway you will find a very extensive raised, 3 to 4 metres, boardwalk which traverses a number of ecosystems as well as coal mining history of the area. You can then either take the Scenic Railway up to the top or take the Cable Car ride. If you have a day pass you can have great fun riding both the Scenic Railway both up and down and likewise the Cable Car.
There is a National Park Heritage Centre near Govett's Leap and it is worth a visit. Lots of information plus a Virtual Reality activity. This does cost, however. About $10 per person.
Hope this helps
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624380

Reply By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 19:39

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 19:39
Oberon is good. Small van park.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624386

Reply By: Graysey - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 23:37

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 23:37
Thank you all for the feedback, certainly some food for thought there, and the 'Places' search, WOW, overload. So much to do, so little time.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 624394

Reply By: Lowan - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:35

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:35
I live in the Blue Mountains and apologise for no GOOD camping places. My only suggestion is Murphy's Glen. You can look at Perrys Lookdown and Blackheath Glen but they are very popular. A local resident has blocked the road to Ingar campground. The surrounding area has some really good camping at Newnes, Coorongooba, Dunns Swamp, Boyd River, Shooters Hill and Yerranderie.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 624414

Sponsored Links