Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:05
ThreadID: 137949 Views:5010 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good day guys
What colours to avoid the mosquitos and bugs eating you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 14:43

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 14:43
Interesting question and I'm going to be interested to see what type of responses you get from others however, it might help if you gave a little more info about where you are as biting insects only have a short lifecycle and the species you get are often dependant on the climate and current weather conditions - temp, rain, humidity, and how far into the tropics you are. Obviously avoiding them biting your skin is important so there are various ways of dealing with that from repellant sprays and creams and generally the recommendation is to wear pale neutral colours with long legs and long sleeves. However, each person's particular feromones (sp?) seems to have an impact on whether you are more likely to be a target for biting insects than the next person regardless of what colour clothing you are wearing. With that said, however my husband and I travelled around Australia for 2 years on the road and anytime he wore BLUE he would get attacked by those nasty march flies - if he didn't wear blue, he didn't get bitten. The worst place for this was Fraser Island. In the entire 2 years I only had 1 location where I suffered from biting insects and for me this was sand flies on Cape York. It had nothing to do with the colours of my clothing but to this day I am still terribly prone to marine stinger bites and suffer with a terrible welt and itchy reaction for up to 3 weeks. As an open water swimmer (for triathlons) I have found the only way to avoid the terrible reaction to these stingers (and sand flies) is to take antihistimine (I use Claratyne because it is non-drowsy) it has a different active ingredient to some other antihistimines - Loratadine, and whilst I will still get stung the reaction is manageable. The chemist told me it is fine to take antihistimines of that type daily if required. Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624376

Follow Up By: Parafan - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:23

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:23
Michelle
I agree with the colour blue for attracting march flies. We have camped at Fraser and Double Island heaps and even went away from using blue tarps although these can be quite useful as a sacrificial attraction to keep them away from us.
Everyday is a holiday
Norm & Lisa

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897872

Reply By: Bill P - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 17:57

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 17:57
Hi Chris., avoid yellow.
AnswerID: 624381

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 19:39

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 19:39
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure about colours however I have a couple of shirts that have natural inbuilt insect deterrent (from Kathmandu store)

Well, they are supposed to, not sure if they work or not.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624385

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 15:26

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 15:26
Possibly impregnated with pemethrin (syntheic pyrethrum (a natural insecticide derived from the chrysanthemum flower))

examples...

pemethrin for clothes

pemethrin for clothes

Never tried it myself.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 897877

Reply By: Tony W - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 21:37

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 21:37
You will most likely get bitten if you wear red, or blue, or green, or orange, or white, or black, or yellow, or cammo, or ....

Best way to stop attracting Mozzies without Bushmans is don't breath.

AnswerID: 624388

Reply By: Member - IndroCruiser - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 01:32

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 01:32
Michelle covered it. Years ago, way North in East Kalimantan, (tropical temperatures, 4 METRES of rain per year), the training was and remains the same as anywhere in the tropics in Australia or elsewhere:

.. light coloured clothes,
.. cover all possible skin,
.. forget fashions and elegance,
.. no shorts,
.. no singlets, no T-shirts, no short sleeve or rolled up sleeve shirts,
.. use tropical grade insect repellent,
.. wear hat, cover neck and ears,
.. know own sensitivities to any insect, spiders, etc,
.. if sensitive, go nowhere without EpiPen as well as antihistamines,
.. avoid swimming in known stinger areas or as second best alternative wear full body lycra stinger suit,
.. read up on malaria virus, Ross River virus, Zika virus, the tiny but painfully toxic irukandji, the deadly chironex (box jelly fish - up to 3 metres long) -- and be afraid and prepared.

Sound extreme?

Not really. 'Extreme' is having to manage a person suffering anaphylactic shock with cardiac arrest and respiratory failure due to bites or stings when remote from medical assistance and when life expectancy is measured in minutes or hours.
2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624397

Reply By: chris a - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:41

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:41
THANK for all your help guys
AnswerID: 624399

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 18:02

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 18:02
I'm colour blind so maybe that is why anything and everything eats me...

But I reckon you've got to be able to laugh at yourself, so have a chuckle at my expense...!

Hey, what colour is this?

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 624404

Reply By: scottwittkopp - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 00:04

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 00:04
AnswerID: 624409

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 at 20:47

Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 at 20:47
Maybe black and white stripes.....?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/237627/20190118/wearing-zebra-like-stripes-may-protect-your-from-insect-bites.htm
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624458

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 04:51

Thursday, Mar 21, 2019 at 04:51
Never really noticed any difference with colour of clothing all I have in get into the vitamin B or take Berocca it won't stop the biting but you don't get itchy and scratch mozzie or sand fly bites the next day it works for me.
AnswerID: 624528

Sponsored Links