Honda generators 2.0

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:14
ThreadID: 138092 Views:3189 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
When we travel with the genny in our genny box in the van I can smell fuel inside the van
I have the knob on top turned to the off position
When I check it there is no fuel spillage around the genny either
Any help other than get rid of it
It only gets used when the hairdryer comes out
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:50

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:50
Well , I have nothing against generators , but really ? If the only time you need the generator is for the 'hair dryer' would it not be easier to have a set of hair clippers and keep the hair at a # 3 or #4 , that means only needing to start the Genny once a month or so .....think of the $$$$ you'l save ....LOL ....
AnswerID: 624736

Follow Up By: Darian - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:58

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:58
Are you seriously discounting the brownie points Wayne can bank whenever Leanne wants to dry her hair ? This is a big issue and he has it covered ! ??
FollowupID: 898225

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:10

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:10
Darian , brownie points ? Think of the 'savings' , less water for hair washing = less weight to carry in the van = fuel savings = more money for the 'essentials' such as Beer for Wayne and Wine for Leanne ......Priorities.....LOL.
FollowupID: 898226

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:53

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:53
Don't think a #3 would be the right look for Leanne though.
FollowupID: 898228

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 14:51

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 14:51
Ditch the gennie......... get a 12v hair dryer or drive around with Leanne's head hanging out the window. Lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898241

Reply By: Darian - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:53

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 09:53
What sort of 'box' is it ? Where is it located ? I have the same genny and on a slide out tray, within a sealed steel compartment that has an external door...all built in with the van..fumes are not an issue. To vent potential fumes if they should arise I installed a Camec breather vent in the hatch door as insurance (but that would only ever be noticed outside). I suggest one would hardly get rid of a Honda (top quality) until a check over by a technician...you may have a minor leak (and a tiny bit of fuel can make a big odour in confined spaces).
AnswerID: 624737

Reply By: Member - Wayne B - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:21

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:21
The box is at the back drivers side
It takes up a bit of the vanity space but from outside
I don’t know about brownie points but the genny stays
Ive resiliconed the inside of the box maybe vent indoor is the go too
AnswerID: 624738

Follow Up By: Darian - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:40

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:40
Worth a try...van parts places have various vents to choose from...(maybe Bunno's too :-) only has to be small...best placed way low in the door because fumes are heavier than air. Maybe a very small air-in vent at the top of the door would be worthwhile...good luck with the project.
FollowupID: 898227

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:02
Wayne
Do you mean vent indoor or vent in door? one vents indoor and the other vents because of a vent in the door. It is indoors you are smelling it I presume.

Bus toilets are vented by the alternator fan dragging air into the toilet and "explosive fumes" out of toilet. A system to create negative pressure like a rear facing travel vent would extract the air.

When the generator is stopped, the carby bowl is full of petrol and WILL evaporate and so fumes will be there around genny.

When genny is stored for travel you can, prior to, also drain the carby bowl by unscrewing the small screw in base of bowl and allowing the bowl to drain down the hose to near bottom of service door. That way there should be no petrol in the carby while travelling or warming and expanding.

The cap, breather opening tap, may be not sealing although you have set it to closed for travel. That would continually add fumes to the vehicle.
FollowupID: 898230

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 11:33

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 11:33
When you stop the genset, turn the fuel tap off on the tank and let it run completely out of fuel. That way, there's no fuel left in the lines or carburettor to give off fumes.

But even at that, the tank is vented through the cap (it has to be vented or a vacuum would form inside the tank while its running and the engine would eventually starve of fuel) - and the only way you can stop petrol fumes from emitting from the tank cap is to tape up the tank area around the cap with 100mph tape.

Gensets are best carried in boxes completely sealed from the 'van, and vented to the atmosphere, where the fumes vented cannot possibly enter the living area.
If possible, run a vent line to the top of the 'van.

Petrol fumes are the most invasive and unpleasant fumes you can get. My missus can smell petrol on me, and recoils, even if I spill just two drops on my boots - and up to 6 or 8 hrs afterwards. She's got a nose like a drug searching dog.

I can put a couple of properly sealed poly jerrycans of petrol in the boot of the Missus' Camry - and the smell just from a few drops of spillage, when filling the jerrycans, will go right through the car, even though the A/C airflow is from the front, and out the back.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 624832

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:08

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:08
Ron, the other way is to get another cap and seal it completely. Use the sealed cap whenever the genset is not in use. Any pressure buildup (or vacuum) then only becomes a problem on removing that cap.
FollowupID: 898368

Sponsored Links