Jayco

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 04, 2019 at 19:09
ThreadID: 138105 Views:4967 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Read so much neg stuff about Jaycos. Bit hesitant but found a model that suits my needs. Has Simplicity Suspension, is it ok for off-road.?And if anyone one own one like to know ya experience owning one. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 06:05

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 06:05
If you do a search here on Simplicity suspension you will find any amount of former threads on this forum re the subject .
cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624785

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 08:09

Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 08:09
Interesting comments below .
Whilst not a criticism of Jayco build nor we don't have any complaint of our van but we did have an issue with the supply of parts after an accident in our van where the door needed to be replaced and it turned into a physco :Note parts are not supplied by Jayco themselves but by a second company ....4 door & several weeks to get the correct one , they kept sending same door although being told it was hindged on the wrong side :((( Rellies have fairly new jayco that had a water pipe un clip that filled the van with water jayco were very good in there response... whilst it was common plumbing component .
Good luck .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 898343

Reply By: 873 - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 09:54

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 09:54
Have owned 4 Jayco over 24 years. 3 outback models. Have never had a major problem. If you get one with independent suspension get the j trak. Camber can be adjusted.
AnswerID: 624789

Reply By: pmk03 - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:30

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:30
Don't know much about simplicity suspension but I'm on my third Jayco without any real problems & I do a fair bit of off bitumen travelling. Currently have a Journey OB with J Tech suspension & can't fault it. The van travels better than the car does.
Negative comments about Jayco's are common from those that don't own one. There are many more happy owners out there.
Cheers
Paul
AnswerID: 624795

Follow Up By: mountainman - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 22:26
You also have to remember theres at a guess
5 times more jayco vans than any other manufacturer
So i dare say the criticism is valid

Because the sheer number of jayco vans around

Also those that buy a jayco once
Say and do
Buy jayco again

Soo that says more than anything
FollowupID: 898341

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:34

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:34
Don't believe everything you read on the internet, particularly when it comes to negative reviews and feedback - some people just are negative, others have a bad experience and feel they need to tell the world whenever they get the opportunity, and have a tendency to exaggerate or dramatise the account, usually only giving one side to the story. Some can be particularly agrieved if they feel the dealer isn't listening to them (and sometimes, reading their complaints, it's not even that hard to understand why they have trouble getting someone to listen to them!) - read the negative comments carefully and try to pick out the genuine issues from the over-dramatized beat-ups...

No, I'm not affiliated with Jayco, but they remain very popular - if they were as bad as some people would have you believe, the market would be voting with their feet, and resale values would be plummeting.

My brother bought one a few years back - he had a few 'teething issues' when the 'van was delivered, which turned out to be not so convenient on a big trip (SE NSW to Kimberley, around the Kimberley (incl. Gibb River Rd), Karajini, down the West Aus coast and back east across the Nullabor), but from what I understand he's happy with it now that those things have been sorted.

I don't think Jayco was ever unwilling to sort the problems, but it's a bit difficult to arrange when you're miles from their nearest dealer, and you have to put up with the problem until you get to the nearest dealer, and you don't want to your trip of visiting Australia's attractions to instead become a trip of visiting Australia's Jayco dealers.

I've spoken to someone who suggested the Jayco camper trailers are often delivered with the cables run the wrong way around the pulleys (the cables which operate the wind-up mechanism on the roof) which can result in a small-scale disaster if the cables jump off the pulleys when you're winding the roof up or down, but if you can get someone who understands the system to correct this for you then you're unlikely to have further troubles with it (I think it's about a half-hour fix if you get it rectified before the cables jump off, otherwise there can be some other incidental repairs required).

Would I buy a Jayco caravan? I'd certainly give it serious consideration - in fact, I did give a few some serious consideration, and I almost did buy one. In the end we got a Coromal because the layout suited our particular situation better than the Jaycos available at the time.
AnswerID: 624801

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:34

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 14:34
I owned a Jayco and never had any major problems. Most caravans are made to a price and Jaycos have a new price advantage over a lot of others. Depends if you want to pay a bit more for a van built with a bit more finesse. The best thing about Jayco is their dealer network leaves all the others for dead. Couple of friends bought Jaycos and a few things that went wrong were fixed without any argument. Most vans will have a few teething troubles anyway. There is also a lot of common components across most vans, eg dometic or camec doors windows fridges etc. Comes back to what you want and what suits and what your happy with.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624802

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 19:52

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 19:52
I am on my 4th Jayco. I have been very happy with all of them. Before Jayco I started out with a Viscount (1974 model) then Coronet, Roadstar and then after buying my first Jayco I have stuck with them. I obviously consider them good vans, there are a number of other good brands on the market and Jayco are no worse than any of the others.
AnswerID: 624811

Reply By: Member - Dublediff - Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 22:18

Friday, Apr 05, 2019 at 22:18
I own a bushtracker, ordered to design and purchased new off the factory floor. Most will know I have spent most, all - lol, of the kids inheritance in this. Am I happy, you bet. I have also owned a jayco, again ordered new and to my specs. Was I happy, you bet I was. Value for money,,excellent design and build quality and great factory back up. Don't overlook them, they are VALUE for MONEY.
AnswerID: 624812

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 20:44

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 20:44
sort of playing devil's advocate, but I believe that consumer affairs re ACCC are taking them to court re not fullfilling Warranty Obligations? does anyone know more about it?
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624864

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 23:04

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 23:04
ACCC legal action was instigated against Jayco in late 2017 for Jayco's failure to offer replacement vans to 4 Jayco customers who experienced repeated serious Jayco caravan problems and faults.
Jayco told the 4 clients their only option was repair, after each problem was reported.
Jayco should have offered replacement vans or refunds, because the faults were major, or could not be repaired to the customers satisfaction.

Australian Consumer Law is succint - if a product fails to do what it is supposed to do, and perform in a generally satisfactory manner, and meet the advertised quality and description - the consumer is entitled to a refund or a full replacement item.

ACCC takes action against Jayco - Nov 2017

Caravan & Camping Sales - Jayco taken to court by ACCC - Nov 2017

ACL - Consumer Guarantees

I don't think the legal action against Jayco has played out yet, as the courts regular backlog is always a couple of years cases.

However - in the overall scheme of things, it pays to be aware of the following balancing points;

1. Jayco claim to have built 180,000 vans. 4 cases going to court is a very low percentage. It could be argued those 4 customers are the type who wouldn't be happy if they were offered new, gold-plated vans.

2. Even if Jayco do have more van quality problems than the 4 mentioned above, the facts still remain, that Jayco has been in business for a very long time, is not a $2 shelf company, and does have a record of attending to warranty complaints to the satisfaction of many of their customers.

It just appears you need to be assertive when demanding attention to faults under warranty with Jayco.
In my experience, you have to be assertive when trying to get warranty repairs out of most companies - and I've been in business for many decades, and had reason to extract warranty claims from many companies much larger than Jayco.

3. Most van builders have build problems somewhere along the line.
It's a fact of life, it's difficult to get people to stick to lousy factory assembly jobs for extended periods of time, and to get a fully cohesive workforce in constant operation, with high morale, and good managers, who can extract the best performance from employees.

At various times, employees will become lazy, take up drugs, develop unpleasant relationships with bosses, foremen, and other employees - and this often leads to the DILLIGAF mentality, with a resultant lack of care towards their work.

Companies spend a fortune trying to keep both employees and customers happy, it's a real balancing act to keep it all together, with no problems for a long period of time.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 898415

Sponsored Links