Dry out

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 10:22
ThreadID: 138115 Views:4289 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have often heard of flooding and wet conditions in central oz but never really had any interest in how long it took to dry out.

Have been patiently waiting for winter again and planning a trip in july through the centre.

If there are no more wet weather events between now and then, will all of the flooding be gone by then and travel be back to normal dusty conditions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 11:07

Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 11:07
How long is a piece of string ? If anyone can answer that they can tell you down to the minute of when the mud dries ,the flood is gone or the next rain will make the road umpassable .....an awful lot can happen between now and July , just as a piece of string is as long as it needs to be , fortune tellers crystal ball ??
AnswerID: 624815

Follow Up By: Boobook - Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 11:12

Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 11:12
Exactly. How many years was Warburton Crossing closed for? From being wet and unpassable?
FollowupID: 898345

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 07:53

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 07:53
Thanks for your attempt to be helpfull but it failed completely. If you read the question it stated if there are no more wet weather events.
The bloke that said there is no such thing as a stupid question didnt say that about answers did he.
FollowupID: 898353

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 09:51
The answer was correct. Some places out there don't dry out for months and some do. The mud that is not quite dry under the surface is the worst imaginable if you get stuck in it. The bloke that said if you haven't got something nice to say then don't say anything, knew what he was talking about.
FollowupID: 898358

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 13:33

Saturday, Apr 06, 2019 at 13:33

If it's any help, here is the BOM's outlook for 3 months ahead.

I too am waiting for July with fingers crossed.
Once rain has stopped, it only takes a couple of weeks in most places to dry out enough to be driveable. Except of course in such places as Cape York where the elevated terrain takes some time to de-water and keeps the creeks high.

This site too can be useful.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624822

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:00

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:00
Thanks Allan,
Just hoping the creek crossings are dryish again and the mudholes on the tracks firmed up. Spent a lot of time repairing damage done by mud and deep water and dont fancy spending time and money doing it to my own car.
What way are you planning on heading in july?
FollowupID: 898354

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:21

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:21
Hi qc,

Yair, sand I don't mind but avoid mud like the plague! lol

Relatively short trip this year. Probably MacDonnell Ranges via the Simpson and Madigan's track. But not firmed up yet.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 898355

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:38

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:38
I was going across the plenty but if tobermorey is still closed will go the sandover and have a go at climbing the rock for my third time but will be the wifes only time, both other times it has been green after rain too but back before yulara days.
Then down to ceduna via googs and on to maralinga. Hopefully it will be dryer by then.
FollowupID: 898356

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:57

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 08:57
The current floods heading towards Birdsville area will be slow to dry up because of cooler climatic conditions and the lengthy residual runoff, due to saturated catchments. By July, all roads, & most tracks should be open, with exception of Warburton Crossing.

I’d suggest there may be a surge in snatch strap & Maxtrax sales, as folk prepare for their trips, or replace items damaged or destroyed through the year.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624828

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:57

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:57
That's what I'd expect. Interestingly (?) this morning on the ABC Dick Smith was rabbiting on and reckoned the BV Track would be closed "for years".
FollowupID: 898360

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:59

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:59
Eyre Creek has a flood moving down from Bedourie and arriving at Glengyle this weekend. As to whether it reaches the QAA line with 200 km to go is the $64 question. And how deep it will be come July at the main crossing and the bypass? With Warburton Crossing under already and another Diamantina flood nearing Birdsville plus what Eyre could add, its only good for the Lake Eyre Yacht Club LOL.....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 898361

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:12

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:12
Yeah Zippo, Dick Smith has some very good points but he does tend to go on a bit at times.

However, if he is right I may have to go to Plan'B' this year. lol

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 898375

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 21:02

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 21:02
Five of us are planning an E-W Madigan leaving Birdsville on 25th May, with the only Plan B being a lap up the Hay instead of up to Camp 20 & across. Eyre Ck may control our itinerary.

Rapid rises in Eyre Ck over the weekend at both Bedourie & Glengyle, now rated as Major.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898380

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Apr 08, 2019 at 09:56

Monday, Apr 08, 2019 at 09:56
Hi Bob,

I was not considering the whole Madigan's. Just up the Hay River Track to Camp 15 then west.
But the Warburton Crossing will be closed so it's the QAA yet again.
And yes, Eyre Ck is an unknown.
Ah well, there's always the Sandover I suppose!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 898383

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 13:02

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 13:02
With most of Central Australia being exceptionally flat, the clayey areas that become waterlogged will take many weeks of fine weather before they are dry enough to be passable again.
Then it only takes one thunderstorm to change the whole scenario back to endless bog again.

It pays to be very circumspect about flat clayey ground areas you're travelling over if there has been serious amounts of water on it in recent weeks.
You can have clayey ground that looks good and traverses well - until you come to a spot where water has gathered - and you will sink like a stone.

I've been travelling on a good country gravel road with my old International R190 truck and low loader, with a Cat D6 dozer on board - and came around a bend at about 70kmh - and the whole rig (truck and trailer) buried itself in the road, nearly a metre deep! - and I came to a full stop, in about 60 metres!

At that time (early 1970's), it was a particularly wet Winter, and there was an old stream bed running under the road, which had become waterlogged.
The gravel depth was inadequate to support the load of the truck, low loader and dozer, and I simply fell through the gravel sheeting.

It got even more interesting when I went to unload the dozer, and nearly got that bogged, too!
It was a real eye-opener to everyone, as there was no indication of any surface water, no ground seepage, just an old creek bed under the road, fully saturated!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 624836

Sponsored Links