RV WifFi

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 08:51
ThreadID: 138214 Views:7691 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone got one of the RV WiFi thingies?

RV WiFi

Are they any good?
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Penski - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 09:03

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 09:03
I don't have one but they look to be a 4G router and hotspot that is permanently mounted with an external antenna to get the best signal available. For the money, I would consider the Telstra Go repeater which actually boosts the Telstra signal for your phone or other device where there is only a very small and unusable signal available. You can then just use your phone or other existing device as a hotspot if necessary. These are also available under the name cel-fi. I am planning to get a Telstra Go myself later this year. https://exchange.telstra.com.au/new-telstra-go-repeaters-bring-mobile-coverage-to-more-places/
AnswerID: 625125

Reply By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:56

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:56
It seems a bit expensive at $495.00 for a modem and router, I have much the same setuo but I use a Netgear DC112A router along with a Telstra Aircard 810S modem as below.

The router can be purchased for just under $300 on eBay and the Aircard 810S I got from Telstra.

I also have a broomstick antenna mounted on top of the crank up TV antenna on the caravan.

I can't see that the 2 letters "RV" can be worth $200.00.

In fact, if you don't need wired Ethernet and only need wireless connection, all you need is the Aircard 810S or any of the similar wireless modems / router. I do need wired ethernet as I have a NAS network drive that I take with me in the caravan.
AnswerID: 625127

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 14:20

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 14:20
I am not getting these things - why not just use the hotspot facility on your phone. I use it all the time to get the internet on my laptop etc when away.

$495 for something that does the same as my phone seems odd.
AnswerID: 625128

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 12:42

Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 12:42
OzzieCruiser, they are not just a “hotspot”, they will boost the incoming & outgoing signal for your phone. So if you are in an area of poor signal that renders the phone next to useless, it will boost the signal so that the phone is then usable.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898803

Reply By: Member - Supersi - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 19:58

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 19:58
As said earlier, if you want mobile signal when camping get a cel-fi go. Approved for either Telstra or Optus - either but not both - you buy the one to suit you mobile plan. They do work in boosting a weak signal and of course benefited by an external high gain aerial. IMHO, the RV wifi is just a 4g modem with no real improvement in areas of weak or very limited 3G or 4g signal.
AnswerID: 625134

Reply By: Keith B2 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 20:46

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 20:46
Thanks for your replies. it looks like to Telstra Go thing is a lot better. But I have two questions:

Will using the app allow us both to use our phones and laptops simultaneously?
If I install it in the car, will the wifi reach the caravan and vice versa? What is the range?

Many thanks.
Keith
AnswerID: 625137

Follow Up By: Member - Supersi - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:13

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:13
I’m not sure by what you mean “using the app”.

A cel fi go allows multiple devices to connect.

How many mobile devices can be connected to the Cel-Fi at one time?

The actual number of devices that the Cel-Fi system can support can vary depending on user location, the type of use and signal strength. The Cel-Fi system is expected to support the needs of a small office/family residence.

Yes, I recommend and have my cel-fi in the car and no problem with signal inside our van.

Range is about 10mtrs from the car.

More FAQ info here https://www.cel-fi.com.au/cel_fi_faq.html#
FollowupID: 898765

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:45

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:45
Thanks Supersi. That's really helpful. I got confused about a phone app from reading another site.
Keith
FollowupID: 898766

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 07:37

Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 07:37
I installed a Telstra Cel-Fi Go last year, before a 10K kms trip through WA.

The WA deserts don’t have too much phone signal, if any, but it worked well enough. It was a bit comical watching the 5 of us, standing around my ute, all making phone calls, sending & receiving SMS’s.

I found it good, to be able to check emails, media & EO, on an iPad, even when mobile on quiet roads. Definitely recommend a Cel Fi, for remote travel.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898767

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 09:08

Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 09:08
We have a booster similar to the go, in our house .
We didn’t get very good internet via that , if the signal it is boosting is weak , that’s still all you’re really getting “weak signal”
Then we were using a mobile wifi modem attached to a yargi directional aerial, this worked well until the local network overloaded, it was useless from about when school got out until 11 at night when we could use it again.
We now use satellite for our internet at home, that is reliable, but slow.

Main point I wanted to make is that even though boosted it will still be weak/ slow internet.
Cheers
AnswerID: 625146

Follow Up By: Member - Supersi - Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:08

Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:08
Hi Shane, It hasn’t been my experience with the Cel Fi that the data connection has been slow however I would expect an impact say at Birdsville during the races or big red bash with massive Telstra system load.
FollowupID: 898780

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:57

Thursday, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:57
The old saying of "$hit in, $hit out" applies to the Cel-Fe as well. My setup uses the dual boxes with the "Network Unit' connected to the external yagi antenna. The signal is then sent over a wireless connection to the second box which is the "Coverage Unit". This box re-transmits the mobile network signal to your various devices i.e. mobile phones, wireless modem etc.

I paid $1,600.00 to have this installed and my reception went from no service/one bar to a full 5 bars. having the yagi installed as high as possible will increase the signal strength that is received by the Network Unit.

Other problems life network congestion will still effect your service and typically the after school times will still happen as this is a network problem and everyone will be having the same problem.
FollowupID: 898781

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Friday, Apr 26, 2019 at 23:01

Friday, Apr 26, 2019 at 23:01
I would not buy any 4G gear at the moment.
I'm already getting 5G at home, metro Perth, which is twice, if not more, the speed of 4G
It will only be a matter of time when 5G will become the norm
It will be rolled out to country areas in time, most mobile towers are ready for it
Cheers
AnswerID: 625182

Sponsored Links