New Patrol details

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:37
ThreadID: 13824 Views:1519 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have just been talking to the Nissan technical dept about fitting different size tyres tyres and stuff for the Patrol I am about to buy. They were very non-commital and said they could only endorse the placarded size, no surprise really.

Whilst I had they're ear I asked about a upgrade for the Patrol esp the engine. They said early next year was planned for upgrade but 'could not tell me anything'. In pushed to see if they had any details on engines as I am gatting the current 4.2TD and they slipped out they did but that the press had to get first bite at it.

I searched the web to no avail so tjought I might ask the forum if thay have any more info. I have seen some pics of external and dash reshaping but am more interested in the best part of all 4x4 the engine and running gear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 14:23

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 14:23
Jamie,
You can bet your sox that it'll be all high tech. Nothing wrong with that...SO LONG AS THEY MAKE IT BLOODY-WELL BULLET-PROOF like the old, reliable 4.2 donk. I'd be okay about owning a electronic jobbie if I could be 110% sure the computer wasn't gunna do what my Hewlett-Packard does every so often.......Little phrases like "You have performed an illegal function and Windows is shutting down" would be just beaut out in the middle of the Simpson or half way up the CSR.
However, I have seen the benefits of being able to chuck a new puter module in to the 3L system and without so much as the crank of a spanner, my mates Patrol gained several % of power and torque (hey Gerk??)
If we've gotta go that way, I'd like to see Nissan stick with a 6 cylinder; say 4.8L; that's assuming they haven't been reading my mind and chuck in a Chevy 6.5 bent 8!!
AnswerID: 63433

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 16:04
Hey Roachie

Not 100% certain, but recall hearing somewhere the 'puters they use are not much more than the old XT's from yonks ago. Apparently they have all the number crunching power that's required.

If so they should (hopefully) be fairly reliable. I gather that's about all they use in washing machines and so on.

Cheers cobber
FollowupID: 324693

Reply By: rob1 - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 16:43
I wonder if they'll keep the live axles or go independant suspension like the other "bugger"

Rob
AnswerID: 63458

Reply By: Snatchem - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:13
Hope they get there act together and include a choice of auto with the 4.2

Snatchem
AnswerID: 63480

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:20
You people are easier to bait than flatheads!

How long as the TD-6 been out? yr or 2?

Dont hold your breath
AnswerID: 63484

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:36

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:36
Take It up with Nissan Technical Dept Truckster they are the ones who have chucked all the burley in the water (just to continue your piscatorial parlance). I am fishing for info as I will be more than happy with my new TD6 (delivery Mon next week!!). I am always a sceptic when it comes to the new model of a car and would be willing to hang on to the old GQ a bit longer if SWMBO could be re-convinced after all the effort I put into pushing for a new truck.

Contrary to your assertion the 4.2 engine has been around for ages. The bolt on bits (turbo and intercooler) have made it a somewhat better but they could have been done more with developing them also. A bit of updating in the core engine technology would be a lot better again.

I remember when Nissan bought out the GQ whilst I had my old MQ SWB, it was a quantum leap. They are capable of this now with a new engine if they want and they hinted at it not mke. If they can prove reliability, unlike the 3leeta legacy they are on to a winner. I hope that they keep the front end but I am sure there are even IFS solutions that are acceptable to most folks. That is ones that don't blow up the first time you try to reverse your box trailer up the driveway. But thats another legacy isn't it.

Then again they did not say what engine either so maybe a V8 or new Petrol 6, or a revamped 3 leeta is about to be cast into the fro. I can do without all to fancy new bodywork shown in photos on a nother websit tho.

Cheers
Jamie
FollowupID: 324775

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 17:33

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 17:33
"Contrary to your assertion the 4.2 engine has been around for ages."

Really?? 1980s to be honest.. I never mentioned the TD42, or even the TD42T config, I mentioned the TD-6.. The intercooled version with the bread sized intercooler..

Give it a week or so until I rebuild my site, check it out for info on the TD42's (www.gqpatrol.com)...
FollowupID: 324824

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:25

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:25
Yeah I know you said TD6 but isnt it really just a tarted version of all thet went before it? Both body and Sole. They have only played with the peripheral equipment. In that I include the everything from the cruise control to the intercooler etc as the body and drive train all have a legacy from the GQ, which is a good thing in my mind (currently have a 89 TD42 DX which is bullet proof)

I suppose my point is that there have not been any major changes to get the TD6 from what went before. The breadbox cooler alledgedly gives it an extra 30Nm or ~9% torque which is useful regardless of its dodgy appearance. Also its gotta help the engine bit if it cools the air going in. I woulda done it different but it works and its an easy fix in Nissans eyes I suppose. A good interim to help sales along before a new engine perhaps?

I was not trying to stir anything up just see if there was more info about. If they do replace the venerable TD42 I will see how it goes and look for one at least as a Series II!

Glad you have your Patrol history down pat Truckster and its good to see some emotion out there mate! I look forward to your website.
FollowupID: 324877

Follow Up By: JamieMac - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:46

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:46
Have just looked at your website under construction. Assuming it is your truck on the front page, do you wan a set of ARB side bars and rails? $$ to be negotiated
FollowupID: 324895

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 23:00

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 23:00
Yea could be interested, how much

mail me vfr750fv@yahoo.com or ICQ/MSN/YAHOO me...
FollowupID: 324986

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:14

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:14
If you have a look at the projected requirements for diesel air emmissions and sulpher levels in fuel, you will know there can be only one way to go - mega high tech..

Within the next 5 - 7 years new compression ignition engines will have to go through some massive changes, as the levels will be about a tenth of what they allow now.. Sorry guys, puters, urea exhaust treatment etc... its all coming hard.
AnswerID: 63546

Sponsored Links