Touring in a Renault koleos

Submitted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 17:13
ThreadID: 138328 Views:4515 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Thinking about a trip next year , Melbourne to Cameron’s corner, innamincka , Birdsville then Alice springs and the Tanami to Broome . I will be driving a new 4wd koleos which most of you know is basically an xtrail. Probably towing a very small camper.
What are people’s thoughts about this car on this route?
I can get a range of a/t tyres but none L/t in my size. Do I need them?
Hope for some ideas from everyone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:05

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:05
Well worth trying to get a set of the "toughest" tyres available for the Reno.
The roads are just dirt ( except if it rains ), but can have large size pebbles which "soft" tyres don't like.
Drive to conditions and you'll be fine !!
AnswerID: 625535

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:11

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:11
You'll be fine. Carry an extra carcass on the roof rack, use one of your current tyres.
AnswerID: 625536

Reply By: jacnden - Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 20:26

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 20:26
Thanks,
tyres are 225/60/18 which can't find much at all . 235/60/18 has geolander a/t or general grabber at3 , while a bit more aggressive are still passenger construction( I think ). I would like to get some better tyres before hand.
Still early into planning, and I know of some that have done parts of this in the family sedan, and it's mostly just dirt roads.
Grateful for any other advice on the conditions
AnswerID: 625542

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 20:50

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 20:50
I won a set of General AT3'S and pretty soon a rock went through the sidewall near where it meets the tread. It may have been bad luck but the track was easy and the section of tyre where it happened felt thin and soft. My mate had Geolander AT-S and never has had an issue and he's driven the type of roads you are talking about a lot. Your other choice is Pirelli Scorpion ATR because they have a good size range and are a good tyre by all accounts. I've not had any experience first or second hand though.
FollowupID: 899230

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 09:38

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 09:38
The yoko geo 15’s in that size will smash it. They are a fantastic tyre. For the record a mate with a koleos towed a small Jurgens van over the Tanami rd and through the Kimberley from Brisbane. They made it home no probs I don’t know what tyres he had.
FollowupID: 899237

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 18:44

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 18:44
My Prado came with new Pirelli Scorpions when I bought it secondhand.

Didn't have an issue with them on some tracks in WA as rough as you will encounter.

Only thing was less less life than Bridgestones I had an a previous car but otherwise would happily use them again.

Enjoy the trip.
FollowupID: 899241

Reply By: FatGaz - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 17:39

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 17:39
I have a similar size car and know finding LT tyres at that size is difficult. Given Koleos is a lighter vehicle, I reckon AT tyres will be fine.
You need to have the same sized tyres all round and cannot go too big due to each states laws on tyre diameter versus plackard sizes (Vic allows 15mm larger diameter than plackard)
Make sure your spare is the same size as whats on each corner, and check that the size you buy will actually fit in the spare tyre wheel well. (You dont want to have to carry spare tyres on the roof).
I bought "touring" rims for my trip - these were cheap on ebay. These were smaller diameter rims and allowed me to go for a larger profile tyre. In your case look at sourcing 17" rims and going for something like 235/65R17 rubber
You will probably find that 17" rims may give you a better range of AT tyres.
AnswerID: 625550

Follow Up By: jacnden - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 19:55

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 19:55
Yes I've thought of 2 sets of rims. Had 2 sets on my old 4b , mild a/ts and muddies. Didn't want to go to that expense at the moment but it something to keep in mind.
FollowupID: 899242

Reply By: greybeard - Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 12:51

Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 12:51
Get some sunnies and dark tint on the windows and wear a hat so no one will recognise you driving a Koleos. ;)

Drive to conditions and you'll be fine.
AnswerID: 625555

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10:17

Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10:17
Greybeard - Well despite wearing a Renault badge, the Koleos is actually based on the Nissan X-Trail and uses all the X-Trail mechanicals.

Nissan and Renault have been sleeping together for years, so I guess you'd have to expect some bastard offspring from the mating.

To add to the confusion, it's built in South Korea, anyway - making it truly a global vehicle.

To the Koleos' credit, it's reported as being a reasonably satisfactory vehicle, with none of the European design or maintenance problems that comes as standard with most European products - particularly when they're built for Europe and not Australia.

In motoring reviews, the Koleos' off-road ability is quite satisfactory, but it's been noted the OEM tyres are less than satisfactory in rough going.
The drivetrain is noted as being reliable, but the CVT is described as being sluggish, and behind the 8-ball as regards crisp performance.

Maybe jacnden could make up a global name badge for their Koleos, something like NiReKo, to create interest, and avoid the viewers recoil, from the blatant Renault logo?

A mate has just bought a (used) Renault tandem drive prime mover, it's got to be the ugliest thing I've ever laid eyes on. I think he only bought it, because he got it cheap.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899278

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 14:48

Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 14:48
A few things that does ring alarm bells for me is the fuel range of your vehicle...you may need to consider carrying some extra fuel.
The issue of the 4wd...
A Renualt Koleos is a light SUV All Wheel Drive..it is not a proper 4wd...where you can "lock" all 4wheels..so you have to be mind full of wheel traction, if heading off the designated track.
I have seen a late model X trail become "stuck" in a gutter by the side of a track...because of its AWD system would not put traction to the wheels where it was needed most...so just keep that in mind.
Plus the biggy reliability...
Your car may be new...but if things go wrong and it needs to be repaired for ever the reason...there is only dealers on the East Coast..none in Western NSW / QLD, 2 in Perth, 1 in Adelaide and none at all in the NT...
I think the issue of getting LT tyres with this model / make of vehicle is giving you a slight hint of what you could expect if the vehicle breaks down for any reason outside these areas...however minor.
You may..I say may, get away with visiting Nissan dealership which are more spread around Australia.
So for your piece of mind, get back to Renault and check with them on their "Roadside Service" if you have an issue say, in Bourke or in this case Birdsville...it is always in the fine print.
I was witness to a Rangie towing a 24' van in Mataranka...it had to get trucked back to Adelaide as the dealer in Darwin was not possible at that time to diagnose the issue, let alone fix it.
The owner had "roadside " premium coverage with a 3rd party...which paid for accommodation and their personal transport issues.

Good luck and enjoy the trip..

AnswerID: 625604

Follow Up By: jacnden - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:05

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:05
peter ive had a few 4wd,s over the years including this one that is not considered a car to travel remotely in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHA-uFHrsI&t=43s
so i realise this is not a real 4wd but from what ive seen, in good conditions? you could drive the family sedan along the route ive planned. i dont plan on any real off roading
my old dad did melb,camerons corner, birdville then gibb river rd and down the west coast in a wb holden ute , towing a little camper(which didnt do to well on grr). he did have a mate in a patrol with him but there was never any real off road stuff
i do have full roadside assist and top cover with racv which ive used out the back of dargo in vic. not sure how well it will go in central aust.
when i did the telegraph track in the youtube link , racv said i copuld be recovered from any? recognised road
grateful for all the input
FollowupID: 899345

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 15:06

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 15:06
"i do have full roadside assist and top cover with racv which ive used out the back of dargo in vic. not sure how well it will go in central aust."

It doesn't work well if you're using a satphone.

Last year we stopped to help a family whose camper had shed a spring on the Mereenie Loop Rd. Middle of the day, so no time zone issues. They used our sat phone to call their road service organisation (can't remember which one it was). They were in the phone queue with no indication of progress for over $50 of satphone time and gave up lest it became $100 wasted.

We sorted out a first response ourselves to secure their trailer and get them to somewhere where they could use a conventional phone..

Very disappointing service from the motorist organisation. It was either NRMA or RACV - that much I recall. It wouldn't be too hard to implement a queue length announcement and a call-back option.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899348

Follow Up By: Member - peter g28 - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 17:07

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 17:07
I understand your reasoning and wish you well on your trip.

FollowupID: 899351

Sponsored Links