Oztent Hex Shade House

Submitted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 12:26
ThreadID: 138348 Views:3128 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
My query about the Oztent hex shade house is;
Is it robust enough to withstand some less than perfect weather?

We’ve had the shade house for a while now but have only used it once or twice.
We are headed for Lake Eyre mid-June 2019 and instead of dragging the van for what is only a week long trip I’d like to use the shade house (with the Velcroed sides) as a tent.
It’s quick to put up and pull down and when it’s pegged and has the guide ropes attached it seems pretty stable to me. However it would be good to hear from anyone who has actually used it when the weather is not so good or just used it as we intend to, as a tent.

Regards,
Greg.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - downhilly - Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 22:24

Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 22:24
Hey Greg,
Got a mate who has one of these and we have used it quite extensively while fishing on the beach. i think its a great unit but its weakness seems to be around the door area/roof section in windy conditions in that the roof will invert and can be quite nasty if it dongs you on the head (seen this happen). I think if you somehow rig up a middle pole the hex house would be so much better in windy conditions. but you can fit so many people in these things they are great, just not in windy situations.

Regards,
Hilly.
AnswerID: 625612

Follow Up By: Greg B6 - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 09:57

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 09:57
Thanks Hilly,
As suggested I might see if I can rig something to stop the roof from inverting by using a tent pole to hold it up and then adding a guide rope attached to the centre piece to pull it downwards at the same time.
FollowupID: 899300

Reply By: Rod W6 - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 21:15

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 21:15
Just think of all those flies.
AnswerID: 625652

Sponsored Links