David Carnegie Road

Does anyone have any information about road conditions and the state of the track? I'm especially interested in the part from Talawana Track down to Gunbarrel Highway. How does it compare to the Gary Highway which runs parallel to the east? I'm considering to travel the David Carnegie Road from North to South . Gary Junction - Windy Corner - Talawana Track. DCR down to Gunbarrel Highway and maybe down to Great Central Road. any information is useful to me. Thank you kindly.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 00:33

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 00:33
Stalker, the section from the Gunbarrel to the Talawana is actually known as the Eagle Hwy. Both the DCR and the Eagle were originally known as the Eagle North-south Rd when pushed through in 1982. The Eagle us a mixed run with it in good (corrugated) condition to Mungilli then interesting from there on. Slower. Hedged by acacia at times, some deep ruts from idiots trying it during the wet. The slowest sections are at the northern end as it crosses the Conelly Basin just before it hits the Talawana. Mainly erosion. The Gary is a more interesting run to my mind and generally in better condition across the board.

The from Gunbarrel to the Great Central is rough and slow. 2-3 days but an enjoyable drive. Main issues are the limestone outcrops and jump-ups and erosion damage. Usually good from the GCR to empress Spring but check with the ilkurka roadhouse if the grader has been over it recently. Deteriorates quickly from there as you head north.

Talawana is usually a good run although I have noted it becoming more corrugated in recent years. If you're going to camp, do so within the first 30 km of the Gary Hwy junction as once it drops from the mulga onto the spinifex, camping options become less frequent. Midway bore (near Midway Well) is a good option with a handpump and water available.

Hope that helps.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625615

Sponsored Links