Dual Battery

Hi all,

Anyone had the Century Dual Force AGM for a fridge?

Any good?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:33

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:33
Johnny R
Do you want the battery just for a fridge alone? if so, why buy an expensive battery which is able to also do start loads? The Dual Force is most likely a good battery though. What is the capacity and cost???
In an emergency most decent sized AGM batteries will start a vehicle, not recommended for life span but emergency is emergency.

Better to buy a definite AGM deep cycle for fridge use. Any 100AH AGM deep cycle battery should weight at least 30KG for it to have enough internals to be capable and long lasting under continuous cycling. If the 100ah, eg, battery you select is less than 30kg then it may test as a 100ah but that performance won't last because there is insufficient material in their construction. Most 100ah ebay batteries weigh less than they should for the claimed performance. You will only use it on trips, so a charge regime should be incorporated so the battery receives a top up charge frequently when at home. ie, daily or weekly timer and operating a charger for a short time, eg, 10min. Do not static store and forget and only charge when sometimes remembered. That will kill the battery life.
If doing that then buy cheap batteries as they will be getting replaced more often.

My 100 ah FullRiver which now has only 50% capacity, used on trips and charged as above is now over 10 years old.
AnswerID: 625750

Follow Up By: Johnny R - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:42

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:42
Thanks mate,

ARB supplied me with an overlander 100ah which died within 12 months and have advised me it wasn’t suitable for a dual battery. Apologised and are replacing with a Dual Force, I have looked them up and agree a deep cycle AGM would be a better option, I just want to make sure I get the right battery this time for my fridge freezer,
FollowupID: 899387

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 13:33

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 13:33
Johnny R
I don't know about overlander batteries but someone must make them. What were the conditions and frequency of charging applied to that battery?
You may have left it in a discharged state and that will kill any battery.
The Century dual force is only 90ah and ONLY 23kg in weight, which indicates it is a bit light on, in lead inside. I can't see how a battery which is underweight from recognized norms to be able to deliver the stated AH rating for a long time. The price I have found for the Dual Force is $349. You can buy a 31KG 110AH AGM for $271 delivered to door. A bigger battery but it is also able to do cranking as well if asked of it. Autoelec.com. Brand, Power AGM. They make an 85ah Power AGM $241, and it weighs 23kg for the 85ah, a smaller capacity than the Dual force 90 ah at 23KG. Starts getting into splitting straws a bit though as the batteries get smaller.

If under bonnet then this is probably not for you.
Most of the replies try to save money and still provide reliability. Allan mentioned underbonnet use too. Not sure of your placement. Plenty of info will always provide more accurate replies to your individual situation.

My opinion is, having a company select a battery for you may not be the best option with regard to value and longevity.
FollowupID: 899392

Follow Up By: Johnny R - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:00

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:00
Yeah cheers mate,

This isn’t costing me anything as they are replacing it under warranty, Century does a lot of deep cycle batteries should I ask for a different one?
FollowupID: 899395

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 12:49

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 12:49
Johnny, let's be clear.

Are you.....
a) Fitting a new single battery to both crank the engine and power the fridge?
or b) Adding an auxiliary battery and still keeping a cranking battery?
And if b), is the auxiliary AGM being installed in the engine bay?

I ask because AGM batteries suffer from high temperatures in the engine bay.
Even the common flooded lead-acid cranking batteries will last longer if not subjected to high temperatures, but locating them away from the starter motor introduces other compromises. AGM batteries of any brand are better located away from the engine.

Then the second point......... If a) using a single battery for both cranking and supplying the fridge, then you run a real risk of the fridge depleting the battery charge such that it is then unable to start the engine. Not good, especially if you are alone and remote. Best to have two separate batteries for the separate tasks.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625755

Follow Up By: Johnny R - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 13:58

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 13:58
Hi Allan,

No Auxillury battery in a box In my cab purely for my fridge freezer,
FollowupID: 899394

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:11

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:11
Unsure what "No" means but if the battery we are talking about is in your cab for your fridge, I cannot see why you are considering a Century Dual Force which is a 'compromise' battery offering starting/cycling, but doing neither well. It is not going to be called upon to do starting.
In this application, you would do far better to use a 'proper' AGM deep cycle battery which will offer you best performance for fridge duty.

And I must say...... ARB should already know this.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899396

Follow Up By: Johnny R - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:18

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:18
Cheers that’s what I thought,

FollowupID: 899397

Follow Up By: Johnny R - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 15:24

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 15:24
Hi Allan,

Just emailed ARB and mentioned your feedback to them on point,

Will see how I go, thanks very much for your feedback,

Best John
FollowupID: 899398

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 16:30
One thing to remember John if you don't use it you might loose it as some people only use their agm battery a couple of times a yrs then wonder why it won't hold charge. The more you use them the better they seem to work and last my both agm's get used a lot and are fine but my neighbour had trouble with his holding power he only used it a couple of times a yr and I've been telling him for 4yrs to use it more. He was lucky he ended up buying a charger which cost him money he didn't need to spend and let it go through it's conditioning cycle and it is fine now.

AnswerID: 625981

Sponsored Links