Trek Comment: Oodnadatta Track

Hello Everyone, we are travelling The Oodnadatta track at the start of June. I se that the track out to Halligans Bay is rough. Do you think we could drive from Marree to Halligans bay in a day and still get to see the few sights on the way eg. Sculpture park and springs etc? Or should i allow 2 days - one to william creek and then out to halligan bay the next day? We are only planning to stay one night at halligan bay. Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jun 01, 2019 at 10:27

Saturday, Jun 01, 2019 at 10:27
You can easily drive from Marree to Halligans Bay in a day if you want to. The Oodnadatta Track was in good shape a month ago but the track to Halligans is pretty corrugated so might take a few hours on its own. All up, it will be a very full day if you stop at all the things to see and you'll likely miss a few.
AnswerID: 625901

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 17:57

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 17:57
Fresh grading of the Halligan Bay track was completed on 1/6.
The Oodnadatta Track is "very ordinary" and the traffic levels are higher than I have ever seen in 50 years.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 625985

Reply By: Emma G1 - Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 06:12

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 at 06:12
Thanks for the heads up, we think we will try and make it past Marree on that day, just to give us some extra time during the day. Wiki camps notes a couple of places before coward springs that are free camps, we will aim to make it further along the Oodnadatta to one of those if we can, given the reported traffic and road conditions. Glad I've booked Halligan bay already!
AnswerID: 626106

Reply By: Member - Roadtripster - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:32

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:32
Hi, We just drove out to ABC Bay from Williams Creek. The road was corrugated and it took about 1.5 hours, one way. The Oodna track was in good condition by the way. Enjoy your trip. Lisa
AnswerID: 626303

Sponsored Links