Noongar-Boodja Land Trust settlement - W.A.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 18:47
ThreadID: 138445 Views:4878 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone - Well, I'm not sure if everyone is informed about what is going on with the biggest Native Title Settlement in the history of Australia - but I doubt it, and I'm going to mention this here, because it could have a fairly substantial impact on W.A. Crown Reserves, Parks, and 4WD trails, and general land use, where the land is not freehold.

No-one in any position of power seems to have advised the white people of Australia what this Settlement will eventually mean to them, and how it could impact on the white peoples use of W.A. land.

In essence, the Noongar-Boodja Land Trust Settlement sees ownership of every Crown Reserve and every parcel of W.A. Unallocated Crown Land, handed over to the Noongar-Boodja Trusts control.
As 98% of W.A. is still Unallocated Crown Land or Reserves, this is a pretty major amount of W.A. land being handed over to Aboriginal Corporation control.

I have already run into problems with this Settlement, due to the fact that I applied over a year ago, to purchase a parcel of UCL in a country town in W.A. - and I was advised that nothing can happen in the decision-making process until the Settlement is finalised and bedded down - and I will obviously then have to deal with the appropriate Noongar-Boodjar Corporation before anything else can proceed. Even that process is as murky as river mud at this stage.
I have been advised by Landgate the Settlement MAY be finalised by late 2019. It was originally proposed to be settled in early 2019.

In essence, the Noongar-Boodjar Settlement agrees to;

$600M to be paid to the Noongar-Boodja Trust over 12 years,

Seven regional Noongar Corporations to be established at a cost to W.A. taxpayers of $10M a year, with an additional $6.5M outlaid to establish the Corporation offices,

320,000 Ha of development and cultural land in SW W.A. to be held by the Noongar-Boodja Trust,

121 properties to be handed over to the N-B Trust, and another $10M to develop and refurbish those properties,

In excess of another $52M to be supplied to the N-B Trust for land-related projects and development of a Noongar Cultural Centre,

Unspecified value for ongoing major capital works associated with establishment of the Noongar Cultural Centre and office space for the seven Corporations.

In total, the Settlement is worth around $1.3B to the 30,000 Aboriginal Land claimants in W.A.

I feel that there has been a very concerning lack of public consultation and general agreement, as to what has been agreed to in this Settlement, and how it might affect the everyday lives of people who are not of W.A. Aboriginal heritage.

This deal appears to me to be a real "back-room deal" to be presented to all Western Australians as a fait accompli, without input via general public consultation, as to the terms and effects of Aboriginal Land ownership of the major portion of S.W. W.A.

Links;

Noonar-Boodja Land Trust settlement agreement terms

W.A. Govt - South West Native Title settlement

ABC News - Australia's biggest Native Title settlement deal, worth $1.3B, struck

Cheers, Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 19:07

Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 19:07
If they do get it will they use some of the 1.
3B to empty the rubbish bins at rest stops.

Time to revisit ABC's diamonds arent forever story.

Just seems like a bigger wall.
AnswerID: 625935

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 19:28

Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 19:28
Qldcamper - Disposing of rubbish is the white mans problem, didn't you know?

The system of regularly funding Keep Australia Beautiful, to issue contracts to local people for regular roadside cleanups, worked well, until the Govt decided they couldn't afford it.
Now the KAB funding is back to $600,000 nationally, over 3 years, just to fund one cleanup day a year.

But they can find $1.3B for an Aboriginal Land Settlement? The mind boggles at the Govts priorities.
The KAB roadside cleanups were good value, they paid for the employment of local teams, such as shearing teams in their off-season, and the difference those teams made, was tremendous.

They cleaned the roadsides to around 10M back from the shoulder, from memory, and they did an excellent job.
Nowadays, we have gone back 30 years, to crap laying everywhere by the roadsides, and no-one caring about it, despite all the regulations and penalties against littering.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899600

Reply By: PhilD - Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 21:26

Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 21:26
Does this mean yet again that white fellas will be discriminated against, by refusing access to a large part of Australia, while our Indigenous brothers and sisters try to decide how much to charge us to go where we currently can, or refuse us entry all together?
The usual outcome is you just continue doing what you want, as they will not be able to manage all that area effectively, and wouldn’t know if someone was on the land anyway.
AnswerID: 625938

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 21:39

Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 21:39
Phil, I'm afraid this land settlement deal may mean a lot of 4WD trails, camping areas, and possibly even Park and Reserves areas, will become "off-limits" to four-wheel drivers and campers as they are now needed for "cultural reasons" - or that new charges will now be levied by the new Aboriginal Corporations, to access their land, or to "fund", "necessary", Aboriginal Rangers.

I wasn't aware until I applied for the parcel of Unallocated Crown Land mentioned in my original post, that even if my application had been considered (it hasn't, it's just been pigeonholed, for God knows how long) - I would need to pay $500 (under the current Native Title law) to a local Aboriginal group, to have a "cultural inspection" done, to determine if the land was sacred, or needed for other cultural reasons.

There was no definition of who this $500 was to be paid to exactly, and no definition of how sacred or culturally-needed land was determined.

To make this process an even bigger joke, the parcel of land had been completely cleared many years ago, a perimeter cyclone fence erected, water connected, and the area covered in road base, and then used by some Govt Dept (possibly Main Roads).

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899604

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 22:31

Sunday, Jun 02, 2019 at 22:31
Ha, the Victorian Labor Govt spent exactly amount of money on......nothing!. Yep they gave it to a construction company for the privilege of NOT building a much needed freeway linkage!

Ron, despite the hysteria, this agreement was first signed in 2015 and widely reported back then. It's been too-ing and fro-ing between various courts in the many years leading up to 2015 and then for some time after.

Just what it means to access you've not elucidated further in your post. You've provided some broad brush info from mainstream media without delving into the actual nuts and bolts of the agreement.

Rather than whip up hysteria and division how about giving us a bit of actual info on what the lawful mechanisms of the agreement 'MAY' mean to access. Naturally that would have to be considered against just what the actual rules/restrictions on crown/public and part 3 lands currently are. Many can remember the 'outrage' on the NT settlements involving the Canning and what a storm in a tea cup that was. These things have a way of working out. Rational examination of the content and intent of the NTG is required first.

Regards

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625941

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 10:57

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 10:57
Mick, I haven't elucidated what the Noongar-Boodjar Land Settlement claim means to access, because I simply don't know, and it's obvious a lot of other people in much more important positions than me, don't know either - because they are still "working out the fine details".

For me personally, at this point, it means I cannot apply for any block of Unallocated Crown Land, in the SW of W.A.
It means my current application has been shelved, and I have no way of knowing when my land acquisition plans can proceed. I think that's pretty poor.
I have been given future dates for the finalisation of the Land Settlement claim, that keep getting pushed back, and pushed back.

As you correctly state, this deal was announced in 2015, and it's still not settled. It was reportedly settled in 2015, then two aggrieved Aboriginal claimants blocked it with a legal challenge, and the original agreement was torn up.
Even now, no-one can say with any certainty, when the claim will be finalised, and we all know where we stand, and how the deal will affect us individually.

The other feature of this Land Settlement deal is a general lack of transparency.
The deal is being carried out at senior public servant and lawyer levels, with elders of tribal groups.

What we all can also guess at, is that the eventual finalisation of this deal, will only add another layer of bureaucracy and costs, on our collective heads.
Seven new sizeable Aboriginal corporations are being created, and have to be funded.

That means a very substantial number of employees of those corporations, all setting new rules and regulations regarding Indigenous requirements, in addition to current rules and regulations.

We have a sad record relating to past Aboriginal Corporations - a record of constant mismanagement, waste, corruption, and straight-out fraud and theft.

Not to mention the mismanagement of lands under their control (do you recall the vast amount of cattle deaths recently on Aboriginal stations in the North of W.A.? I didn't see anyone from the RSPCA get involved in charges of animal cruelty in those cases).

These seven new corporations are being funded by the taxpayer to the tune of at least somewhere around $1.3B (which figure will no doubt blow out) - but at the end of the 12 year Govt funding period, what then?

It will no doubt result in "additional charges" on the public, by these seven Aboriginal corporations to fund and justify their existence, and their level of employees.

Then there's the inability of the current State Govt to explain precisely what the Noongar-Boodjar Land Settlement claim will mean to industry, to farmers, to the general public, to the tourism industry, or to overall land management in W.A.

It's entirely likely there will be land that will be mismanaged under this new Settlement deal, exactly as has happened in the past when Aboriginal Corporations have taken control of W.A. land.

I am just unsettled, and feel left in the dark, about this entire Land Settlement process, and its murky end result, due to a lack of consultation with, and lack of input from, the general public of W.A., rather than the seemingly exclusive club, that is formulating this Land Settlement deal.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899612

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 14:45

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 14:45
I'm pretty aware of the past follies of misguided government intervention, particularly on the demise of Balgo and surrounds when taken from the administration of those 'terrible, paternalistic' Palottine monks (Labor's words, not mine). What happened at Ngulpi and Balgo should forever be a blight on Labor's copy book and a case of how not to handle a LR claim however, hopefully we've progressed from there and I have faith that common sense and logic may overcome collective western guilt.....maybe!

I live in hope :-)

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899615

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 20:02

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 20:02
The guilty ones are long dead, it’s time to live in harmony as Australians.
FollowupID: 899620

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 20:53

Monday, Jun 03, 2019 at 20:53
Well said, Shaker.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899622

Sponsored Links