Solar Blankets & Mats - Abrasion Resistance?

Hi

I'm after some solar blankets but wonder about how abrasion resistant the faces are as most seem to fold up face against face and I've seen a few that have scuffed up from this.

So, who has first hand experience as to which brand/models are scuff resistant?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 14:46
Glass would be the most scuff resistant, but heavy.

If I had or wanted one and was worried about that (I would be), I think I might use a piece of old flannelet bed sheet as a separator.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625977

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 15:26

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 15:26
hi
Yes u have a legitimate concern
blankets /mats
flexi panels
all seem to have issues with discolouring/degrading /going opaque and damage from abrasion either from storage of if fixed, travelling .

Not all brands and not all problems occur
Because of there cost per watt . Reliability is an issue . Glass is still a contender for me.
AnswerID: 625978

Reply By: Rob A2 - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2019 at 15:47
We have two different versions of the REDARC amorphous panels. The oldest is one of the very first 108W versions so nearly 10 years young now and seen plenty of action all over the country. Still works perfectly. It's been walked on, seen plenty of sand and mud on it and no signs of damage rather small amounts of wear and tear. Regardless of type you need to keep them clean to avoid abrasion. Goes for any gear you use outside. Kept clean and dry when in storage also helps.

Our other panels are the newer black versions, 75W and 190W which are around 3-4 years old at least and doing fine. Both with their performance and ability to stand up to the wear and tear. Seen plenty of other brands that have not along with plenty of users who think they are bullet proof which none are.

Equally you may have a different view of what scuff resistant is. I'm happy to lay mine out on the ground if need be and sweep the dirt off them as needed. Along with a wipe down with a damp cloth on a daily basis

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625979

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 06:26

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 06:26
Thanks Rob

I'm thinking more along the lines of when the panels are folded up and the panel faces touching each other. Corrugations etc could cause the faces to rub thereby abrading the surfaces.
Dirt etc is not my concern.
FollowupID: 899642

Follow Up By: Rob A2 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:30

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:30
Malcolm the point I am trying to make is the panels we have been using for quite a while now have stood up to all the issues you have raised without any issues. My secondary point is that despite that you still need to maintain the panels and keep them clean in order to reduce accumulated dirt/grit/etc in order the keep them at their best. Our experience with other users is many fail to understand this and so experience damage that, generally, could have been avoided with a little bit of care and attention.

We simply clean ours before putting them back in their bags, pack them away and keep travelling. Never done anything beyond that

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899644

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 10:05

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 10:05
Rob,

With the fold ups I have (Projecta & Supercheap) the panel is sewn into the fabric of the blanket, this means you have the panel then the fabric edge sewn over the panel so when you fold them the fabric folds against itself and there is a gap between the panel faces so they don't rub.

We have done tens of thousands of kilometers over severely corrugated roads and have not had any issues.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899646

Reply By: Member - Roadtripster - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:21

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:21
Hi. After much research we decided to go low key and bought a Sunyee 120W folding mat. It works brilliantly and hasn't scratched after 4 weeks of being carted over corrugations. Lisa
AnswerID: 626302

Sponsored Links