AB Hwy What are these?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 25, 2019 at 13:23
ThreadID: 138598 Views:5773 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just rolled into Laverton yesterday after 7 days of bone jarring travel from Coober Pedy via the Anne Beadell Hwy.

Beautiful country, terrible roads, a torture test for body and mechanicals, but worth it IMO.

Most of the SA section is horrendous, things do improve once you reach the WA/SA border, but there are very bad sections in WA as well.

Anyway, came across two things I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew what they may be?

First is this old track marker near the aboriginal stone arrangements on the AB at 28.18.86 126.03.30.6

On the post it as written, TRK 6 1962, TALFORD, GREEN, and another name I can't make out.

The second is this out of place looking PVC pipe. I suspect it's a water testing point or similar. This is just west of the Anne Beadell memorial.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ron A - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 08:47

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 08:47
Good Morning Siringo.

Great find as many to the area don't notice these significant pieces of our history.

The first picture is an early timber skewer used primarily for making whole water buffalo into kebabs. The makers marks that you identify indicate that it was made by the Taylor Ross Kebab Company in 1962. Taylor Ross operated from Talford in Green until the early 70's when the demand for skewers this size declined.

The second picture is actually more significant. That is one of several located throughout Australia. When the cap is removed a dip stick can be inserted to check the oil levels in Australia. Unfortunately as most of the dip sticks are located in Canberra these are not used very often.

Hope I have been of assistance and safe travels.

Cheers Ron
AnswerID: 626386

Follow Up By: Glenn C5 - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 08:59

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 08:59
Absolute GOLD Ron
FollowupID: 900157

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 09:44
Classic, Ron A! You've beaten Friday Funnies by 3 days! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 900159

Follow Up By: ben - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2019 at 23:09

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2019 at 23:09
great sense of humour mate
FollowupID: 900345

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:43

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:43
Siringo - The marking of the survey post appears to translate differently to my perception of what I can see in your photo.

I see the first letters/numbers as "MK" (with the M and K joined at the vertical line), and "16".

Failing any input from our resident surveyor, Stephen L - I'll take a stab at what the survey marker may be.
I couldn't be sure if it's a pastoral boundary marker, or some other boundary line or road survey marker - but I'm guessing the "MK" is the surveyors initials, and the "16" is a consecutive number in the survey marker numbers, starting from his original start point, or bench mark.

The broad arrow is the symbol for Govt property, or a Govt-initiated project. Thus, the marker identifies as a Govt survey, or the boundary of some specific Govt property, such as Defence Land.

The "1962" is self-explanatory, of course, it's the date the survey marker was installed.
Can't advise anything on the "Talford, Green" names. Could be additional survey team members?

Here's an informative 2015 article from the W.A. Dept of Lands, as regards early survey markers. It's important to ensure all survey markers are preserved.
I'm presuming S.A. uses similar survey markers, but there would be local variations. Stephen L will be able to enlighten us, no doubt.

W.A. - Survey marks in pastoral areas

Re the capped PVC casing - this could either be a mining company exploration drillhole - or a Govt water reserves exploration drillhole.
The State Govts often carry out drilling programmes to assess the size of water aquifers in many areas for towns and communities, or for specific large project requirements.

The fact that the hole is capped is indicative that the original drilling organisation wants the hole protected, and possibly checked again at some future time, to see if there is a variation in the water levels, or water quality in the drill hole.

It's unusual for mining companies to cap boreholes - unless they find a source of good potable water - which they will then mark on mining maps for potential use, and to also supply underground water reserves data to the relevant State Govt Water authority.

The fact that the drillhole is located in a remote position is unusual, and would appear to possibly indicate a National aquifer resource investigation.

Anyway, that's my .02c worth for today.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 626388

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 08:21

Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 08:21
Thanks Ron, yes that does look more like MK. When at the marker I thought it looked like TK as in Track, but I think MK is correct.

FollowupID: 900273

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 14:25

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 14:25
I might add, that if you're looking for a specific survey timber marker - and it's disappeared, due to weather, termites, fire, or idiots who've just stolen it for fun - a lot of these older timber survey markers have a steel rod driven into the ground under the marker - which can often be found by digging, once you've located the fairly precise area, where the marker is supposed to be.

Of course, a metal detector is of great advantage when looking for these steel rods.

Naturally, if the area has been carelessly bulldozed, then you will have great difficulty finding any traces of the survey marker.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 626389

Reply By: duck - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:39

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:39
the 2nd photo is the same as I have on my property. The one on my property is were the Gov checks for water quality as I'm in the area of a Defence property that used chemical foam for fire fighting that has now leached into the ground water they come about 4 times a year & check it, yours could be used for a simular use as we will never get the full story on all those test carried out there & the fall out???
AnswerID: 626394

Reply By: diver09 Dan - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 21:38

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 21:38
Siringo
Will be doing the ab hwy tues can you expand on any problems will be in a 79 series single cab .diver dan
AnswerID: 626406

Reply By: Siringo - Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 11:31

Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 11:31
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I haven't read through it all yet as we're in and out of service. Currently typing from the table under the roof at Surveyor General's Corner, so I'll finish up here and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 626413

Sponsored Links